How did a white flag come to mean surrender?

I suppose it means truce offered, as well - but how did it happen that a white flag has an almost-universally understood meaning?

• Rick

WAG:

No country had/has an unadorned flag. (The plainest I can think of is Japan’s single red dot.) So by displaying a plain flag, one is saying, “I’m not being jingoistic. I’m forgoing my patriotism to achieve peace.”

From ohiohistory.org

and from nava.org

False. Libya’s is plain green.

“Flags of the world” also has an article on monochrome flags

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/flagmono.html

There have been other uses of plain flags for political regions. In fact, in light of recent events, you might note that the Taliban use a plain WHITE banner. Other uses of a plain white flag listed include a French ensign of the Bourbon era.

It’s not on Yabob’s link, but didn’t the French once have a battle flag - the Oriflamme - that was an unadorned blue?

And, to be correct, I should say the Taliban USED a plain white banner from 1996 - 1997. The official flag after that time had writing on it, adding vexillological sins to the others committed by the regime.

maybe

1. its easy to see, as opposed to a dark colored flag

2. its more unmistakable, say for example: if tan flag was surrender flag, enemy might think, is that flag tan?, yellow?, brown?

3. its a common color of cloth that desperate soldiers could find a piece of. handkerchief, underwear, bandage,etc.

my post above addresses why the color white might have been used, i have thought of a couple of reasons why a flag would be used

1. sometimes opposing soldiers do not speak the same language, yelling “We surrender” across no mans land night not be understood or even heard.

2. raising a flag does not expose any of the surrendering group to be fired at

IIRC correctly pirates used a white flag in attempt to get ships to surrender without a fight.