The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-02-2002, 06:52 PM

Beach Boys "Little Deuce Coup" - a question

OK, what did the guy do to the car?
What does the line in red mean?

Just a little deuce coupe with a flat head mill
But she'll walk a Thunderbird like it's standin' still
She's ported and relieved and she's stroked and bored.
She'll do a hundred and forty with the top end floored
She's my little deuce coupe
You don't know what I got

Thanks!
Advertisements  
Old 06-02-2002, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

ported = probably the intake valves and seats have been made larger, especially since the stock engine was a flat head. This would let it breathe more air.

relieved= ??

stroked = the crankshaft's offset determines the "throw", the distance that the pistons are moved from bottom dead center to top dead center. Stroked generally means that the crank and the attached connecting rods have been swapped for a different set that move the pistons farther. This increases the swept volume (displacement) and usually also the compression ratio (since the extra distance traveled is generally going to be in the direction of the cylinder head, not in the opposite direction, and that in turn means that the remaining space above the piston at top dead center is going to be less, and the air crammed into it would be more tightly compressed).

bored = the cylinder walls made wider (bigger around, larger circumference) and larger pistons swapped in to fit the bigger cylinders. This also increases the swept volume.

So you've got an engine that's a lot bigger in cubic inch (or cubic centimeter) displacement, and it inhales air/fuel mixture more efficiently.

Plus whatever the heck "relieved" might be. I bet Anthracite would know.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:36 PM

I'll take a stab at it, it's been awhile. Red line or redlining, means revving the engine to the max rpm band, for maximum horsepower, which can be bad. That could cause engine failure (if you do it a lot). Ported means the intake and exhaust "ports" (fresh air in, exhaust air out) are enlarged from the stock configuration. Relieved, I think, is the same as polishing the intake and exhaust ports for smooth air flow. Geee, I forgot what stroked was. And bored means the piston cylinders have been "bored out", oversizing the cylinders for bigger pistons and consequently, more horsepower.

I'm sure a motorhead or two will be along shortly to correct any mistakes.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:56 PM

"Ported and relieved" means the intake ports and exhaust ports in the cylinder head have had metal judiciously ground away. The ports are essentially tunnels, and the idea is to make them bigger and more conducive to smooth flow of gasses. Corners and casting flash are removed, among other things. I understand that this is done by hand with appropriate grinding wheels--as much art as science.

"Stroked and bored" means the piston stroke has been altered and the the piston bore has been increased. Changing the stroke (total up and down motion of the piston) is done by using a differently configured crankshaft, which requires different connecting rods. Typically, for performance applications the stroke would be lessened (longer rods needed) for improved torque. The point of boring is to increase cubic inch displacement, which is done by boring out the cylinders in the engine block and using larger pistons to fit the new hole size.

You may know this, but the "flathead" referred to would be Ford's V-8 (pre- 1950's), a popular and legendary engine during the early days of hot rodding. It was essentially replaced by more sophisticated valve-in-head engines in the 50's.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

"ported" = enlarged intake/exhaust ports and runners

"stroked" = increased crankshaft throw

"bored" = increased cylinder diameter

"relieved":
In this context (flathead), "relieved" refers to machining the block around the valve seats to increase the airflow through the valves. Roughly analogous to "unshrouding the valves" in a more modern OHV head.

"Relieved" can also mean removing sharp edges in the combustion chamber that can become hot-spots leading to pre-ignition, or sharp edges on the rotating assembly that can become starting points for stress cracks.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:00 PM

Thanks everyone!

I've only wondered about this for 20 years.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pmh
"relieved":
In this context (flathead), "relieved" refers to machining the block around the valve seats to increase the airflow through the valves. Roughly analogous to "unshrouding the valves" in a more modern OHV head.
Bingo. The area around the valves and between the valves and cylinder was hogged out, dropping the surface in that area (the one example I saw looked like someone used the head gasket as a template.) This allowed for increase valve lift without reworking the heads and improved airflow between the valves and the cylinder bore.