The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-03-2002, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Another Poop Poll: Do you poop in front of friends, family or SO?

I was just reading another one of the many poop threads, and contributing to it, and I thought about something.

I'm committed to privacy when I defecate. This has always been an issue with me. I don't allow friends, family, and especially my fiance, to enter the bathroom when I am using it for that purpose.

I know exactly why I feel this way, too. My mother, who was an exceptionally fastidious woman in most ways, would sit on the pot for what seemed like hours. She would drink coffee, read, clip her toenails, and call us in for chats. It offended me beyond belief. I was thoroughly grossed out by the sound and fetid odor of her passing waste into the toilet while she chatted with me nonchalantly. I absolutely hated it.

I do not wish to ever be the subject of the sort of feelings and thoughts I had about my mother when she would do this. NO one is permitted in the bathroom when I am using it. EVER.

Peeing? No problem whatsoever, just about anyone can come in.

Farting? Well, I'm so gassy, and fortunately my gas is just noisy, rarely malodorous, so I'm a little more casual about that, but I always excuse myself .

My best friend has two kids under 10 and a happy marriage. And she tells me that the whole family casually poops in front of each other. This mortifies me thoroughly.

What about you guys?
Advertisements  
Old 06-03-2002, 02:37 PM

I'm the same way. Peeing is fine, but pooping requires privacy.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm just the opposite. Sitting on the throne, my wife and I can carry on conversations about anything. Taking a leak, door closed and locked, I need my privacy. I will use a little air freshener and have the fan going when my wife comes in just to make it bearable.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:44 PM

Ditto. This is why I hate going in public restrooms.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:12 PM

A friend of mine once said, "When you can shit in front of your spouse, the romance is gone."

I have to agree. Watch me pee, I don't care. Number two's my private time. Go away, and pretend you don't hear anything through the door, or smell anything afterwards. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

My husband and I will poop in front of each other, only if the other person is in the shower with the water running (and a candle lit). This actually saves time in the mornings as we both require an unrushed "morning constituational" each day and like lengthy morning showers. If it isn't the mornings and there is no shower happening then we both require privacy, door closed.

I'll pee in front of my sisters, girlfriends and husband quite comfortably at any time.

Twiddle
Old 06-03-2002, 03:22 PM

Number 1, in front of anyone (hell, on the side of the road if the traffic's light!)

Number 2 requires peace, quiet and meditation. Don't talk to me. Don't look at me! Ugh.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:26 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth, Venoma.

I can, however, chat with other people as THEY poo. I don't seek out such situations, but if they initiate, hell, I'll make it a little book club.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:41 PM

Trust me, nobody wants me to dump in front of them. And vice versa.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:46 PM

Good lord. I don't even let anyone in the bathroom when I'm brushing my teeth!
Old 06-03-2002, 03:50 PM

I'm pretty much the same as most of the replies so far. Peeing, big whoop, pooping, well, I prefer privacy, and try and ensure it, but sometimes it just doesn't happen, and it does me no real good to get upset about it. For the most part, I am talking about my kids. I have the opposite situation from the OP, I do not want my kids in the bathroom with me, when I am in there, but at this point, with their ages, and a baby, I always leave the door open a little bit, so that I can hear everything that's going on(and I am not in the bathroom long, unless i'm sick). My kids take that as an open invitation to come and talk to me while I'm doing my business. They constantly walk right in, and start talking to me, without thinking twice about it. I am always having to say, "Uh, excuse me, I'm going to the bathroom, could you please wait until I'm done?", or something similar. I am sure that will subside with age, though, so, for now, I just grin and bear it (no pun intended).

~V
Old 06-03-2002, 03:59 PM

I forgot to add that, while I do not wish for my SO to be in my presence, physically, while I poop, I have no problem, whatsoever, doing so, while I am on the phone with him(and he's aware of it), or vice versa. We also have no problem conducting poop conversations, as is the same with my closest group of friends. Face it, it is an interesting subject, hence all the topics about it here...right?

~V
Old 06-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Danger! Keep out! Noxious fumes inside

I call the bathroom the reading room, and I don't like to be disturbed whilst I'm, uh....reading.
Besides no one would want to be in there while I'm reading, hell sometimes I don't want to be in there, because quality breathing air is at a minimum.

But now that we have more people living in the house, I have to darn near make an appointment just to read.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:35 PM

Urination in public is one thing, but I think peeing in a toilet in front of others is quite uncouth.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:16 PM

It depends on the situation. My freshman and sophomore years in college, I lived in a suite, which means two rooms, four guys, one bathroom. If someone was in the shower, it was no problem. The can had it's own stall, therefore, I didn't mind. I wouldn't leave the door open, but I would carry on conversations through the door if need be.

But that was with guys. Unfortunately, the majority of my friends are female, and I hate hate HATE any kind of bodily functions reguarding excriment to go off around them (except for Liz, we have an understanding). Being lactose intollerant, though, sometimes I can't help it, and those times are the worst.

One time, while hanging out at Liz's, there were about three other girls all hanging out. My bowels decided that it was time to tear my insides apart, so I took myself to the can. They all decided to go hang out in Liz's room. Small room, shitty aparment, cheap plastic doors...let's just say, it wasn't a pleasant evening for your's truly.

I've gone on the side of the road before as well, but that's a different story all together.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:28 PM

What is it, Crap Day on the SDMB?

No one ever sees me crap. Ever. At work we're blessed with private washrooms, so you won't even see my feet from under the stall door with my pants around my ankles. (This is if I really have to go...)

In terms of peeing, I can do it at urinals in public washrooms, in back alleys... once I did it at the bus stop after work, in broad daylight. (No one was around, but there were cars driving by. I tried to be as discreet as possible. I just really had to go.) I prefer not to do it in front of whatever guy I'm seeing at the moment, but have done so on many an occasion. It depends on how comfortable I am with the guy, and how long we've been seeing each other.

But crapping... no way. It's bad enough because my bathroom is adjoined to my bedroom, so if I have a gentleman friend over who's still in bed... ugh. Very uncomfortable. I'll smoke while I do it in order to kill one vile scent with another vile scent - and hope I don't make any noise.

The Straight Dope Message Board: now all poop, all the time!

- s.e.
I'm Geobabe's #1 Gay Boyfriend!
Old 06-03-2002, 05:29 PM

As far as my wife knows, I crap Glade Air Freshener. Why would I try and convince her of anything else?
Old 06-03-2002, 05:43 PM

My Uncle once said he knew the honeymoon was over when my Aunt came in and took a dump while he was brushing his teeth.

That said, I'll shut the door when i'm home ALONE not to mention if someone else is there too. The last thing I can stand is the cat coming in and just starring at me.

On a related note, "Annoying Guy At Work" followed me in the john the other day talking about some nonsence. I entered the stall to take (actually leave) a shit and that fucker just stood outside the stall talking and talking. I suddenly kick open the stall door and knock him unconcious then stabbed him to death with a straightened out paperclip. Yup.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:47 PM

Stoid, I think you and I were separated at birth.

I, unfortunately, got the stank in the gas department. Ya bastard!

Old 06-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

No, no and no.

I had three toilets, two bathrooms and a powder room installed in the new house, so there would NEVER be a time where anyone in the house would be forced to use the toilet when someone else was doing something.

Vomiting, now that's a different story.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:51 PM

Anything toilety requires total privacy as far as I'm concerned. At a push, I can pee in front of certain select people, but usually I have trouble getting the flow started if someone is in the same room as me. When I'm out, I find it impossible to use a urinal, and have to wait for a cubicle.

As for ploppy-poos, I take privacy to the extreme. The door must be locked and closed, and I always flush the toilet to cover up any noises. Should there be anyone sitting in the next room, they are made to switch on the TV before I go to do my business, in order to further mask any noises. Of course, the plop only takes place if the toilet seat is cold. If it's still warm from a previous user, the act must be put off until it has cooled. Nothing worse than a warm toilet seat, IMHO. And the toilet has to be my own, as strange shitters really do cause me to close up, so to speak.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eve
Good lord. I don't even let anyone in the bathroom when I'm brushing my teeth!
The only time I let someone into the bathroom for any reason( well, not any. If they need to use the toilet I leave until they're done) is if I'm just brushing my teeth or putting on makeup. Any situation requiring my pants to be down calls for the door to be locked.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

See, if the 101 other things about being in prison weren't horrific enough, just the single and simple fact that one's toilet is in the middle of the room that one shares with another, perfectly visible to all who pass by, would be enough to keep me on the straight and narrow all my life.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:33 PM

I'm quite private about bathroom functions. I had a hell of a time in basic training when the latrine consisted of a few urinals and 6 or 8 toilets along the wall--no doors, no partitions, nothing.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:05 PM

Nobody comes in while I'm peeing OR pooping!
Old 06-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

23 month old china bambina is simply fascinated by watching me pee standing up.

pooping in China is/was a lot more public. There are so many people and used to be not that many toilets. Just could not be as personally modest as we are in the US. If you were lucky, public sqat toilets were seperated by a 3 foot high wall, with no door in front. Let me tell you that was fun, having a group of Chinese who have never seen a foreigner before, watching me suffering from Mao's revenge. Sheesh.

I still prefer to shut the door and poop in peace.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:14 AM

While I pee, yeah, no worries, you can watch if you like.

While I'm sitting on the toilet having just let go or am about to let go then my SO can come and talk to me briefly about something if it's important. She doesn't do this but she could if she wanted.

While I'm physically excreting and also while wiping I would prefer the entire apartment was empty.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:25 AM

No. Really... NO!
Old 06-04-2002, 11:29 AM

Absolutely not. Not no way, not no how. Not that I'm gone that long - I do my business and get out of there (I've voiced my opinion about reading in the bathroom before and won't go into it again except to say "Poor lighting, poor air quality, poor seating.")

Amen to whoever mentioned the warm toilet seat. If I go to the bathroom and the seat is warm, then someone else's butt has been there not long before mine. With the SO that's not such a bad thing, but in a public restroom - it gives me the willies.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Good Lord, who lets other people into the bathroom when they're using the toilet? What difference does it make if you're pissing or shitting? What the hell's wrong with you people? Honest to God. Must be the same posters who piss all over their feet in the shower.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:40 PM

Wanna hear something really disturbing? A friend of mine once told me she used to sit in her ex-boyfriend’s lap while he was crapping.

That’s just freaking sick.

- s.e.
I'm Geobabe's #1 Gay Boyfriend!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:54 PM

I used to poop in front of my ex, but we had been together for 5 years and were comfortable doing anything in front of each other.

I wouldn't mind peeing in front of the girl I'm dating now (although I doubt she'd want to be in there when I am), but I would not poop in front of her...we're nowhere even close to that level of comfort yet.

Jman
Old 06-04-2002, 09:02 PM

Absolutely not. I use the spare bathroom, in a far-off corner of the basement, with the door always locked and the fan always running. I call it the Private Sanctum. If, for whatever reason, people are in the basement, I negotiate with my mom so I can use the upstairs bathroom. "Hey Mom, go smoke a cigarette or 2, I need the entire upstairs to myself for a moment." The best times are when no one is home, and I can go worry-free.

Sometimes I'll leave the door open when I'm peeing if no one is home; the most I worry about is the dogs coming in to watch. But #2 - never. I cannot concieve of going in front of an SO. I cannot imagine acknowledging to an SO that I do, in fact, go. Especially if the bathroom environment is not suitable to privacy. I'd rather go home early.

In my Private Sanctum, there are an assortment of magazines and books.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by scott evil
Wanna hear something really disturbing? A friend of mine once told me she used to sit in her ex-boyfriend’s lap while he was crapping.

That’s just freaking sick.
Mrs. Cartman?
Old 06-04-2002, 10:27 PM

My husband and I are both private people and do not allow the other into the bathroom whilst doing our business...although the cats have been known to accompany us in and "hang out". One of my cats likes to curl up in the sink while I'm in the bathroom doing whatever, even taking a shower.

I have been known to pee in front of one or two of my close girl-friends, it's not like it's nothing they haven't seen before! I guess I'm still shy around my husband. If our shower curtain was not clear plastic I would probably pee while he was taking a shower, but poop, definetly not. The other day I was having a bout of morning sickness and barfing up a lung, and he asked, "Do you want me to come in?" My answer was a resounding, "No!"
Old 06-04-2002, 11:00 PM

I'm with all-privacy-all-the-time faction. I suppose I could pee in front of a family member or close friend if I absolutely had to, but I can't imagine what would be necessary to justify it. I don't even like it when my mom or grandmother leave the door open whilst peeing.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:00 AM

Ugh. And don't talk to me when I'm peeing. Girls always go to the bathroom in groups which is great so you have someone to chat with in line, or washing your hands or whatever, but when I'm in the stall Do Not Talk To Me. And if you're in the stall Do Not Talk To Me. Nothing's creepier then holding a conversation over the "tinkle-tinkle" sound.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jman
I used to poop in front of my ex, but we had been together for 5 years and were comfortable doing anything in front of each other.
Ya know, that's just more comfortable than I want to be with anyone.

For me, bathroom time is private time. Even in a public restroom, I'm happier if I'm alone.

It is a good analogy, because learning about the real world is a lot like waking up in your own pee/food solution.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:51 AM

You people are SOOOO anal. You (or anyone) can come in while I'm bakin brownies. You might not want to, but you can. Now peeing, dont enter until I begin, I get stage fright. Once I start though, I could pee off an over pass. Again, I dont invite people in with me, but if you come in, thats fine. As long as there is a decent reason. Update the score of the game, tell me Mom is on the phone, to tell me I should stop Bogarting that, anything really.
dead0man
Old 06-06-2002, 12:01 AM

I value my privacy when going potty--PERIOD.