When did RC Cola become the "poor man's soda"?

I’m not that old - but I remember a time when there were 3 main cola brands. Well Coca Cola was number 1 by far, but Pepsi and RC were respectable rivals. I believe at one time RC was a fairly important company, (I think John Glenn was - symbolically - it’s president for a time).

Now I only see it for 88 cents a 2 liter in mom & pop stores, or sort of dispersed in the soda aisle with all the no-name brands. Serving it to guests at a barbecue is tantamount to saying “You’re welcome here, but not worth the $1.49 for a 2 liter of Coke welcome”.

That’s a shame, because for me, it’s great to escape the Coke/Pepsi tyranny over cola from time to time. I like getting a bargain, but I naturally resent the stigma of being a cheap soda drinker.

I never see them advertise or anything. Has RC simply resigned itself to the bargain niche market.

http://www.gono.com/history/softdrink.htm
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~folbre/econ103/lec3_30.htm

While I’m not sure that RC was ever a respectable contender to Coke, they certainly were innovators who were quickly copied(see above links).

If their product had been as good as Coke/Pepsi, then they would have probably gained market share. And, yes, I know that advertising plays a part.

Well, I see RC Cola selling at some “upscale” supermarkets. I also know some non-poor people who enjoy it.

FYI:

http://www.dpsu.com/nr_rccolapromotion.html

I believe RC is very popular in the southern states but for some reason not popular in other areas of the United States. I dont know the reason for this.

RC currently has a 1.9% market share nationally.

Their top market is Chicago, with 9% or so.

RC currently has a 1.9% market share nationally.

Their top market is Chicago, with 9% or so.

The association with Royal Crown Cola (eaten with a Moonpie) and the South may go back to routines from Brother Dave Gardner.

Who on earth would evaluate a person’s generosity based on the cola they served?!

RC is the best!! I buy it on purpose because it tastes better to me.

(Not a factual answer, I know.)

I actually never saw it - or at least noticed it until I moved from small town PA. Here (in Portland Oregon) it’s very common - a lot of resturants carry it instead of Pepsi or Coke.

It also costs about the same as Coke or Pepsi in the groceries - maybe 30cents or so less, but not significantly cheaper.

Did I mention I love it?

I’d say that a 30 cent difference in price IS pretty significant, if we’re talking about a 2-liter bottle or a 6-pack.

I’m not sure what you mean by “very popular”, but if you mean what I mean when I use that phrase, you’re way way off.

I thought 7-Up was part of Pepsico.

Actually pepsi used to be the rc cola position until after ww2 it was the cheap imitator of coke

Although If one gets fussy You can say all soda pop is southren in orgins

But rc is one of those regional brands that is nationally distruibited

Now here out west we have a brand called shasta and in the midwest they have one called faygo

The minor brands tent to have flavors the big brands dont ie : “pineapple” fruit punch "ect

shasta runs about89 cents for a 3 liter and many people cant tel lthe diffrence ,

RC good, Diet Rite bad.

I think diet RC cola is the only soda (at least the only national soda) to be sweetened with splenda. I don’t think they got the flavor right though (for diet).

Hey, I’m in Roseburg. I’ve never seen RC for sale down here, but maybe I wasn’t paying attention.

I’m noticing a lot of Oregon Dopers lately. Maybe a Portland Dopefest is due? Or have I already missed it?

This Onion article cracks me up:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3118/rccola.html

Who pays $1.49 for a 2 liter? It is rarely more than 99 cents and never over $1.29 here in Mississippi.

[ul]Ah, yes! “An Rrow.C. and a Moonpie”.
:smiley: [sup]Get away from that wheelbarrow, you don’t know nothin’ about machinery![/sup][/ul]

Nope, they just couldn’t make a successful lemon-lime drink so they used Dr. Pepper/7Up company’s already recognized product for their fountains and vending machines. Pepsi now has Sierra Mist to put into their fountain drink dispensers.

I think the problem with RC (in my area, anyway) really came when they discontinued Cherry RC back in the '80’s. That stuff was GREAT, but when Coca-Cola came out with Cherry Coke they stopped making Cherry RC. Since then they have become less visible in stores and vending machines. They have since brought Cherry RC back, but it just isn’t the same. I’ll stick to making my own cherry cola with lots of marachino cherry syrup and Pepsi. This way I get to eat the cherries instead of just buying the syrup. I get the warehouse club size bottles of cherries. Mmmmmm.

I’m in the Midwest and I’ve never heard of Faygo. We have Shasta here, too. They are basically a name-brand generic. Some good, some mediocre flavors.

We have Faygo in Ohio. I used to drink the grape Faygo when I was a kid. I’ve never had the Faygo cola. I’m not even sure if they make one although they probably do.