Insane "Security" Measures

At my dentist’s building, you now have to stand on a little square of carpet and state your name into a video camera before the guard makes you sign in and go upstairs. In what universe is this even remotely helpful? Note, we are talking about a midtown office building, not the Statue of Liberty or the UN.

The terrorists had IDs. They had passports, they had pilot’s lisences! And none of them minded in the slightest if their photos were taken before they blew themselves up! All this is accomplishing is creating a long line of angry people in the lobby, and making the building management feel like they are “doing something.”

I don’t know what response I expect from this thread, wasn’t even sure where to post it . . . Thought maybe y’all had similar gripes, or maybe some actual, useful, security suggestions.

We have similar measures in our building (we are by the stock exchange but still…). I don’t really know how they help that much, and after a few days the guards didn’t even seem to care anymore. I guess creating the illusion of safety is better, then doing nothing.

This reminds me a bit of what my high school did after Columbine- the administration decided that everyone could breathe easier if everyone in the district had a visible ID on their person at all times. (It wasn’t instituted while I was still there, thankfully.)

Like wearing a badge would stop a disgruntled student with a gun. Sheesh. The worst idea was that the younger kids would have to wear them- third graders shouldn’t have to wear name badges that anyone can see.

At the airport (SanJose’s), I was going through security behind a woman who was wearing a shirt with a zipper up the front.

The security guards asked her to remove it.

I was wearing a spaghetti strapped tank (no bra) with a sheer, open weave sweater. This is not the type of sweater you use for protection from cold, it’s purely decorative and totally see-thru.

The security guards asked me to remove it and put it through the x-ray.

THEN, to top it off…they made me remove my three year old’s sneakers and run THOSE through the x-ray. Not mine. A three year old’s.

Morons.