Throwing at hitters/headhunting

New Rules:

1. When a pitch hits a batter above the shoulders, the batter is awarded two bases and all baserunners advance two bases. (essentially, the effect of a ground-ruled double) If there is clear and convincing evidence that the pitcher intended to hit the batter, the pitcher shall be ejected and suspended no fewer than 10 games.

2. Any hitter or baserunner who goes to the pitcher’s mound is automatically called out.

3. Any player or coach who joins in a fight, leaves the dugout during a fight, or leaves their position on the field to approach a fight shall be ejected and suspended no fewer than 3 games.

**If there is clear and convincing evidence that the pitcher intended to hit the batter, the pitcher shall be ejected and suspended no fewer than 10 games. **

Great idea. Will it be passed? I seriously doubt. Big name pitchers like Roger Clemons, Randy Johnson, etc drive ticket sales. I think a suspension that results in that much lost playing time would impact ticket sales. For this reason, the owners, umpires, and players would be opposed to this rule.

**Any hitter or baserunner who goes to the pitcher’s mound is automatically called out. **

I thought that any player that ran to the mound would be tossed out of the game anyway. Wouldn’t that be counted as an out? Or, if the player makes it more than half way to the mound… the catcher should be thrown out as well. hehe.

I only agree with this if the following rules are added as well:

1. If a batter hits a home run and does not immediately begin running, not walking, not strutting, not dancing, not standing there at the plate gawking, but RUNNING around the bases, the batter will be limited to a ground rule double. If this happens more then once within a 3-game span, a pitcher may throw at a hitter’s body, NOT his head, and any retaliation by the other teams pitchers will result in the immediate throwing out of both pitcher & manager of those teams.

Further additional rules:

The above rules re being hit by the pitch do not apply when the batter’s stance has any part of him within the strike zone.