Good Graphic Novels

So, what are some good graphic novels? I’m fairly new to the scene, having in the past month just read “Watchmen”, the “Preacher” series, and about halfway through “V For Vendetta” right now. I’ll investigate recommendations into any form that’s recommended, be it true crime or superhero or anything inbetween. Currently, though, I’m looking into Akira, 100 Bullets, and Transmetropolitan, so any input as to those would be appreciated as well.

Ah, shite, I could’ve sworn I was in Cafe Society! Mods?

Akira is excellent. There is so much more in the graphic novels than in the movie that was made from them. They can be a bit on the pricey side (like all graphic novels) – in fact, last time I checked I could get them cheaper in French, including shipping from amazon.fr. But you can sometimes find 'em used too.

Yeah, I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews for the Akira series, but I’ve never seen the movie, either.

To add to my original post, I’m also investigating the Maus books and the “Invisibles” series. What is everyone’s input on those? The Invisibles seems a bit too radically political to enjoy, but it’s gotten some nice acclaim and seems to have an intriguing plotline…

The Maus books are amazing. I love Niel Gaiman’s graphic novels also, but they aren’t very action-y.

Ronin and Elektra: Assassin a couple more by Frank Miller

The Cowboy Wally Show and Why I Hate Saturn by Kyle Baker

Anything with Usagi Yojimbo in the title.

The reprints in GN format of Astro Boy .

DC comic’s Archive edition reprints of comics from the 1930’s, especially the Justice Society and Will Eisner’s The Spirit .

From Japan, we also get Sorcerer Hunters and Oh My Goddess .

More as I think of them. :slight_smile:

Definitely read Maus and Maus II. It is the greatest of all graphic novels, primarily because of the importance of the subject.

Neal Gaiman’s Sandman is in graphic novel form, and well worth owning.

I don’t think the Howard Chaykin American Flagg stories are available in graphic novel form, but the first year of the comic is among the best.

Sandman, definitely. I think that the first is called Preludes and Nocturnes, but I’ve always introduced people to the series using Dream Country, the third book. Sometimes very emotionally heavy, but some of the bestest comics ever written IMHO.

I also highly recommend Astro City, especially Astro City: Confession.

Promethea, is a really interesting series, and I can see where it wouldn’t be for everyone. If you think that you might like it, the first 6 issues were collected in Promethea: Book 1.

I really liked the Batman alternate reality that way laid out in Gotham by Gaslight. Set in 1889, Batman vs. Jack the Ripper, and altogether too cool for words.

That’s a very <b>BIG</b> second for <i>Astro City: Confession</i>.

I also submit humbly:

Batman: Book of the Dead and Speeding Bullets.

I’m nuts about the Cerebus “phone book” editions. Read 'em in order, because you’ll go crazy if you skip a section.

Marvel also just collected Ultimate Spider-Man’s first 13 issues in a big hardcover. Worth checking out if you wanna drop $35.

Gotta plug my favorite: Sam Kieth’s The Maxx. Trippy, psychological, and funny. Just all around cool.

Also worth picking up: Matt Wagner’s Mage: The Hero Discovered and Mage: The Hero Defined

Surprised no one has mentioned Miller’s Batman: The Dark Knight Returns . That’s a classic if there ever was one.

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud also gets my recommendation.

I wasn’t thrilled with Maus, which didn’t seem to have much going for it other than the groundbreaking subject matter (for a comic). Maybe Maus II will grab me more…

“God Loves, Man Kills” is a very good X-Men graphic novel. Don’t know if it’s still available, but if you can find it it’s worth a read.

Why don’t I just fix that title for you and move the thread to Cafe Society? :slight_smile:

From Hell by Alan Moore His take on Jack the Ripper.

Also most of Moore’s run on Swamp Thing is now out in trade paperback, though I really don’t see what all the fuss was about, but perhaps I’m missing something.

MAUS won a Pulitzer, so it has to be good.

You might also want to check out some of the JLA TP’s that are out now, some good storylines.

If you like Alan Moore & neil gaiman’s type of stuff you might check out Hellblazer. There are 4 or 5 collections out in TP, but they aren’t in numerical order in terms of the issues of the comic.

A tip: check out your local library system to see how many TPBs they have. Mine (Harris County- Houston) has several. I also put in submissions for them to order the ones that I want to read that they do not have. What a scam!!!

But I second the reading of 100 Bullets. Very good stuff. I have read though the 4th trade. I enjoy them. I also second Sandman. The first few chapters of the first TPB are slow, but they pick up nicely. I used to avoid it because it seemed pretentious. I was wrong.

Check out this link for as good of a summary of TPBs as you’ll ever find. It even breaks it down by target audience (kids, young adult, adult as well as by genre). http://bookshelf.diamondcomics.com/products/default.htm

A few specific recommendation:
SUPERHERO:

Kingdom Come- Great art. Story set in the near future finds Supes and Gang facing off against the violent young heroes. Considered a comic classic.

Golden Age- Set in the late 40’s. Superhero McCarthism. Beatifully painted.

Starman- Though the first trade is slow, this series is excellent. Mixes counterculture/pop culture references with great characterization to make a great unconventional superhero story. Several trades available.

Daredevil: Born Again- Superhero tale mixed in with a lot of good
mob action. Reminded me of a Scorcese movie.

Rising Stars- A nice realistic look at powered characters. It is the life story of 100 kids born with powers in one small town.

NONSUPERHERO:
Fortune and Glory- An autobiographical account of writer Brian Michael Bendis’s attempts to sell his screenplay.

Anything else by Bendis will be good crime noir (Torso and Goldfish get high marks. Bendis is my current fave.)

Queen and Country- A nice book about a female British spy. Good stuff.

Road to Perdition- Or just see the movie tomorrow.

The Long Halloween is another good Batman GN.

I just picked up Violent Messiahs: The Book of Job last weekend; that’s another GN you could check out.

I would definetly recommend Sandman. The latest editions of it have the order number on it, so there’s no problem there. I would suggest that you start at the beginning, but pretty much anywhere except the last three books (there are ten total) is a good place to start. Dream Country and Fables and Reflections are collections of stand alone stories.

The Invisibles is a good series, too. It isradical, but not politically. Psychedelic is good word for it. The original series was three volumns, not sure how the GN’s are set up, though. This is one you really should start from the beginning.

Transmetropolitan is a good series, funny, sometimes dark sci-fi.
A sense of humor similar to Preacher, I think.
Will Eisner at his worst is an entertaining read. At his best he is very moving.
I can’t recommend these final two recommendations unreservedly because some people have problems with them and you might be one of of those people.
The first is Cerebus. Some people say that one or some of the later books is mysoginistic because of some the things the author has said publicly (sorry, no cites), but I always felt that the author’s statments were too foolish to take seriously. Any comments in the books are clearly from a character IMO. I think it’s a great series nonetheless.

The second series is Strangers in Paradise. Some people seem to think it’s creepy somehow. The two main characters are women, and I’ve read that some people think the author is, well…
I actually don’t know what there point was. What I read was on the Comics Journal message board, but I can’t seem to find the thread. Here’s a link anyhow: http://www.tcj.com/messboard/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Wonder Woman: Amazonia by Phil Winslade is an amazing graphic novel for the story as well as the art.

Recommendations from my library of comic books

[MST3K]
They’re GRAPHIC NOVELS!
[/MST3K]

• **Eddie Campbell. ** You can find his “Baccus” series in stores. From the few issues I’ve read, they’re about the Greek god who shows up at a bar and commences drinking. The barkeep wants to call time, but the regulars convince him to stay open as long as Baccus is still drinking. To pass the time (and keep Baccus awake), they tell stories. On this, Campbell hangs a bunch of stories.

But that’s not what I want to recommend. Before “Baccus” he did a number of autobiographical stories about a young, educated bloke, Alec McGarrity, who goes drinking, picks up a bunch of acquaintenances and one friend, and gets involved in their lives. The stories have been collected in a number of different editions. They’re funny and thoughtful stories.

• **Prince Valiant. ** Fantagraphics is in the midst of reprinting the entire run of Hal Foster’s work. Runs about $16.95 a book, although their site lists damaged volumes for ten bucks.

• **Journey ** By William Messner-Loebs. Stories about Wolverine McAlistaire, a mountain man who wandered the Michigan frontier in the early 1800s. Fantagraphics has the first two volumes in this series.

• **Buck Godot ** By Phil Foglio. Comic sci-fi detective set in New Hong Kong. These are now out of print, although Phil is trying to get them republished. He also currently has “Girl Genius” going, which is set in another fantasy world that’s a mix of 18th century Middle Europe and all those mad scientist movies (think “Frankenstein” and you’re off to a good start).