Old 07-11-2002, 01:34 AM

Good Graphic Novles

So, what are some good graphic novels? I'm fairly new to the scene, having in the past month just read "Watchmen", the "Preacher" series, and about halfway through "V For Vendetta" right now. I'll investigate recommendations into any form that's recommended, be it true crime or superhero or anything inbetween. Currently, though, I'm looking into Akira, 100 Bullets, and Transmetropolitan, so any input as to those would be appreciated as well.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:36 AM

Ah, shite, I could've sworn I was in Cafe Society! Mods?
Old 07-11-2002, 01:38 AM

Akira is excellent. There is so much more in the graphic novels than in the movie that was made from them. They can be a bit on the pricey side (like all graphic novels) -- in fact, last time I checked I could get them cheaper in French, including shipping from amazon.fr. But you can sometimes find 'em used too.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:43 AM

Yeah, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the Akira series, but I've never seen the movie, either.

To add to my original post, I'm also investigating the Maus books and the "Invisibles" series. What is everyone's input on those? The Invisibles seems a bit too radically political to enjoy, but it's gotten some nice acclaim and seems to have an intriguing plotline..
Old 07-11-2002, 03:14 AM

The Maus books are amazing. I love Niel Gaiman's graphic novels also, but they aren't very action-y.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:25 AM

Ronin and Elektra: Assassin a couple more by Frank Miller

The Cowboy Wally Show and Why I Hate Saturn by Kyle Baker
Old 07-11-2002, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Anything with Usagi Yojimbo in the title.

The reprints in GN format of Astro Boy .

DC comic's Archive edition reprints of comics from the 1930's, especially the Justice Society and Will Eisner's The Spirit .

From Japan, we also get Sorcerer Hunters and Oh My Goddess .

More as I think of them.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Definitely read Maus and Maus II. It is the greatest of all graphic novels, primarily because of the importance of the subject.

Neal Gaiman's Sandman is in graphic novel form, and well worth owning.

I don't think the Howard Chaykin American Flagg stories are available in graphic novel form, but the first year of the comic is among the best.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:31 AM

Sandman, definitely. I think that the first is called Preludes and Nocturnes, but I've always introduced people to the series using Dream Country, the third book. Sometimes very emotionally heavy, but some of the bestest comics ever written IMHO.

I also highly recommend Astro City, especially Astro City: Confession.

Promethea, is a really interesting series, and I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone. If you think that you might like it, the first 6 issues were collected in Promethea: Book 1.

I really liked the Batman alternate reality that way laid out in Gotham by Gaslight. Set in 1889, Batman vs. Jack the Ripper, and altogether too cool for words.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:53 AM

That's a very <b>BIG</b> second for <i>Astro City: Confession</i>.

I also submit humbly:

Batman: Book of the Dead and Speeding Bullets.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:30 AM

I'm nuts about the Cerebus "phone book" editions. Read 'em in order, because you'll go crazy if you skip a section.

Marvel also just collected Ultimate Spider-Man's first 13 issues in a big hardcover. Worth checking out if you wanna drop $35.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:40 PM

Gotta plug my favorite: Sam Kieth's The Maxx. Trippy, psychological, and funny. Just all around cool.

Also worth picking up: Matt Wagner's Mage: The Hero Discovered and Mage: The Hero Defined

Surprised no one has mentioned Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns . That's a classic if there ever was one.

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud also gets my recommendation.

I wasn't thrilled with Maus, which didn't seem to have much going for it other than the groundbreaking subject matter (for a comic). Maybe Maus II will grab me more...
Old 07-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

"God Loves, Man Kills" is a very good X-Men graphic novel. Don't know if it's still available, but if you can find it it's worth a read.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Why don't I just fix that title for you and move the thread to Cafe Society?
Old 07-11-2002, 06:16 PM
BANNED

From Hell by Alan Moore His take on Jack the Ripper.

Also most of Moore's run on Swamp Thing is now out in trade paperback, though I really don't see what all the fuss was about, but perhaps I'm missing something.

MAUS won a Pulitzer, so it has to be good.

You might also want to check out some of the JLA TP's that are out now, some good storylines.

If you like Alan Moore & neil gaiman's type of stuff you might check out Hellblazer. There are 4 or 5 collections out in TP, but they aren't in numerical order in terms of the issues of the comic.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:36 PM

A tip: check out your local library system to see how many TPBs they have. Mine (Harris County- Houston) has several. I also put in submissions for them to order the ones that I want to read that they do not have. What a scam!!!

But I second the reading of 100 Bullets. Very good stuff. I have read though the 4th trade. I enjoy them. I also second Sandman. The first few chapters of the first TPB are slow, but they pick up nicely. I used to avoid it because it seemed pretentious. I was wrong.

Check out this link for as good of a summary of TPBs as you'll ever find. It even breaks it down by target audience (kids, young adult, adult as well as by genre). http://bookshelf.diamondcomics.com/products/default.htm

A few specific recommendation:
SUPERHERO:

Kingdom Come- Great art. Story set in the near future finds Supes and Gang facing off against the violent young heroes. Considered a comic classic.

Golden Age- Set in the late 40's. Superhero McCarthism. Beatifully painted.

Starman- Though the first trade is slow, this series is excellent. Mixes counterculture/pop culture references with great characterization to make a great unconventional superhero story. Several trades available.

Daredevil: Born Again- Superhero tale mixed in with a lot of good
mob action. Reminded me of a Scorcese movie.

Rising Stars- A nice realistic look at powered characters. It is the life story of 100 kids born with powers in one small town.

NONSUPERHERO:
Fortune and Glory- An autobiographical account of writer Brian Michael Bendis's attempts to sell his screenplay.

Anything else by Bendis will be good crime noir (Torso and Goldfish get high marks. Bendis is my current fave.)

Queen and Country- A nice book about a female British spy. Good stuff.

Road to Perdition- Or just see the movie tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:38 PM

The Long Halloween is another good Batman GN.

I just picked up Violent Messiahs: The Book of Job last weekend; that's another GN you could check out.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:54 PM

I would definetly recommend Sandman. The latest editions of it have the order number on it, so there's no problem there. I would suggest that you start at the beginning, but pretty much anywhere except the last three books (there are ten total) is a good place to start. Dream Country and Fables and Reflections are collections of stand alone stories.

The Invisibles is a good series, too. It isradical, but not politically. Psychedelic is good word for it. The original series was three volumns, not sure how the GN's are set up, though. This is one you really should start from the beginning.

Transmetropolitan is a good series, funny, sometimes dark sci-fi.
A sense of humor similar to Preacher, I think.

Will Eisner at his worst is an entertaining read. At his best he is very moving.

I can't recommend these final two recommendations unreservedly because some people have problems with them and you might be one of of those people.
The first is Cerebus. Some people say that one or some of the later books is mysoginistic because of some the things the author has said publicly (sorry, no cites), but I always felt that the author's statments were too foolish to take seriously. Any comments in the books are clearly from a character IMO. I think it's a great series nonetheless.

The second series is Strangers in Paradise. Some people seem to think it's creepy somehow. The two main characters are women, and I've read that some people think the author is, well...
I actually don't know what there point was. What I read was on the Comics Journal message board, but I can't seem to find the thread. Here's a link anyhow: http://www.tcj.com/messboard/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi
Old 07-11-2002, 08:28 PM

Wonder Woman: Amazonia by Phil Winslade is an amazing graphic novel for the story as well as the art.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:46 PM

Recommendations from my library of comic books

[MST3K]
They're GRAPHIC NOVELS!
[/MST3K]

* Eddie Campbell. You can find his "Baccus" series in stores. From the few issues I've read, they're about the Greek god who shows up at a bar and commences drinking. The barkeep wants to call time, but the regulars convince him to stay open as long as Baccus is still drinking. To pass the time (and keep Baccus awake), they tell stories. On this, Campbell hangs a bunch of stories.

But that's not what I want to recommend. Before "Baccus" he did a number of autobiographical stories about a young, educated bloke, Alec McGarrity, who goes drinking, picks up a bunch of acquaintenances and one friend, and gets involved in their lives. The stories have been collected in a number of different editions. They're funny and thoughtful stories.

* Prince Valiant. Fantagraphics is in the midst of reprinting the entire run of Hal Foster's work. Runs about $16.95 a book, although their site lists damaged volumes for ten bucks.

* Journey By William Messner-Loebs. Stories about Wolverine McAlistaire, a mountain man who wandered the Michigan frontier in the early 1800s. Fantagraphics has the first two volumes in this series.

* Buck Godot By Phil Foglio. Comic sci-fi detective set in New Hong Kong. These are now out of print, although Phil is trying to get them republished. He also currently has "Girl Genius" going, which is set in another fantasy world that's a mix of 18th century Middle Europe and all those mad scientist movies (think "Frankenstein" and you're off to a good start).
Old 07-11-2002, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pulehoopo
The second series is Strangers in Paradise. Some people seem to think it's creepy somehow. The two main characters are women, and I've read that some people think the author is, well...
A really nice guy? Seriously, I met Terry Moore (writer/artist/publisher for SiP) once, and he's incredibly nice. Strangers in Paradise is one of the best graphic novels I've read. The first one, a collection of three stories, is good... but the second one, collecting nine issues of the comic, is amazing. That hooked me. I don't think it's creepy at all. In fact, in a medium dominated by female characters with breasts larger than my head, waists no bigger round than my wrist, and ankles as thin as a pencil, Strangers in Paradise is a refreshingly realistic look at more realistic women... physically and emotionally.

Anyway, yeah, highly recommended.

Several people have already mentioned Sandman... I second, third, and fourth that motion. If you're curious but don't want to commit to a long story, try the "Dream Country" collection. It compiles four issues that are each a self-contained story (most of Sandman is made up of long story "arcs."), and each one is excellent. "Dream of a Thousand Cats" is my personal favorite stand-alone story in the whole series, and "Midsummer Night's Dream" is the only comic to win the World Fantasy Award for best short story. The rules have since been changed so that no comic will ever win again, too, so that's saying something. Anyway, if "Dream Country" doesn't hook you onto Sandman, nothing will.

Also, though it came out after the official end of the Sandman series, and is more like a profusely (and beautifully) illustrated book, "Sandman: The Dream Hunters" is an absolute marvel. Beautifully written and gorgeously painted, it is a true masterpiece. But then, most of the Sandman series is, really.

Looks like everyone else beat me to the punch on most of my other favorites. Watchmen, Elektra: Assassin, V for Vendetta, From Hell, Cerebus, Batman: The Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, Gotham by Gaslight (great Mike Mignola art), The Maxx, and the amazing Maus books. All highly recommended.

I've a couple to add... Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer was what got him noticed and enabled him to do Preacher. Though I'd recommend any of Ennis' Hellblazer stories, his first one "Dangerous Habits" is a twisted masterpiece. Very dark and moody. I've heard that Nicholas Cage is possibly slated to be John Constantine in an upcoming movie, which is a deep disappointment. I like Cage, but he's no Constantine. Anyway... "Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits" Check that out.

Another Batman book worth checking out is Arkham Asylum... a convoluted Grant Morrison plot and stunning Dave McKean art make for a great book. This was my first exposure to McKean, and though he is somewhat unhappy with his work for it (it's his least favorite work, suppposedly), I find that his take on all the traditional Batman characters is visionary and unique. "Arkham Asylum" set a new standard for Batman stories.

Speaking of Dave McKean, his solo series Cages is now collected into a graphic novel. It's expensive and hard-to-find, but worth it if you're into his work.

Someone mentioned Neil Gaiman graphic novels, and I agree... I like most of his work. "Mr. Punch" and "Violent Cases" are quite good, "Black Orchid" is really cool, but my favorite has to be "Signal to Noise." It's a simple story, but told very elegantly. Also, Gaiman's The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish (which is actually a children's book, but who's counting) is a great read. My girls love it, and I love reading it to them.

Whew... I think that's it. Might have to go dig in my collection and see if I forgot any. *grin*
Old 07-11-2002, 10:20 PM

The two I have are Sandman and Preacher: Until the End of the World.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:23 PM

I always tell people that Sandman should be required reading. It's a story about stories about stories about stories--a masterpiece of storytelling. I like Preludes and Nocturnes, especially the segment with John Constantine of Hellblazer.

Invisibles is wonderful; it's what the movie The Matrix was, unofficially, based on.

Both of these series are good for repeated readings and after you've read them several times, you can always look for the annotations online, as they're chock-ful of allusions.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:51 AM

If you want to look into Sandman I advise you to pick up Fables & Reflections and read the last story, "Ramadan." Fantastic art and writing, with Gaiman's trademark theme of stories-about-why-we-tell-stories. I think that one issue sums up Sandman better than any other. (Or, well, maybe Men of Good Fortune, or Midsummer Night's Dream, or The Sound of Her Wings, or...)

(By the way, I picked up The Dark Knight Returns for the first time a few days ago and was massively underwhelmed. But that's probably just me.)

Pretty good page of graphic novel reviews here.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:15 AM

I second the Maus books as well. Very deep, very emotional reading.

100 Bullets is more than just shoot-em-up stories, which I thought it would be. The stories take place in small towns as well as big cities, and touch on a global conspiracy as well. You won't be satisified with just reading the first collection.

I also recommend Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson. The entire run lasted about 19 issues I think, before Robinson had to wrap things up and make the last issue an epilogue. Everything's collected in a phone book-sized paperback (except for the fringe features and the special color issue). A core group of about 6-8 serve as the main characters. Their various sordid lives are detailed, as well as an underlying plot exploring the sinister goings-on in the comics industry. Very rereadable.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:48 PM

I wasn't at all clear about Strangers in Paradise, was I?

I really enjoy the series. When I went to The Comics Journal message board I read a thread (which seems to have dissapeared) where most of the posters thought Terry Moore was one of those men who pretend to be sensitive in order to be the "Sensitive Male." I think that's the gist of it. I can't really remember now. (Boy, I sure do wish I could find that thread.)

My reaction to "SiP is creepy" was like my reaction to "Star Wars is racist." I had no idea what they were talking about and I didn't agree with them once I got their point.

At any rate I think that it's a wonderful series.

I apologize for the vagueness of my posts. Once I become a full fledged Doper, my posts will always be crystal clear.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:51 PM

(This is my second try on this post - I hope it doesn't appear twice.)

Count me as another "Sandman" fan, and I second the motion on "Black Orchid." It was originally published in three pieces, IIRC, but has been reprinted in a single volume. It's MUCH better than the monthly series which followed a year or two later.

But my current favorite is "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1," by Alan Moore. It was originally published as six individual comics, and if you can find (and afford) them, they have the advantage that they include period advertisements (some possibly genuine, others definitely faked), a seriallized text story, and letters pages unlike any others I have ever read. There are "Bumper Compendium" editions of issues 1 and 2, and issues 3 and 4 (or is that 1-4?), but they don't include the ads, the text story, or the letters. There is a hardcover edition which contains all 6 issues with the complete text story and all the cover art, but no ads or letters. I believe a softcover edition is coming, which will presumably have the same contents as the hardcover.

By the way, the first issue of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2" is due out July 24.

WSLer, I am a big Swamp Thing fan, especially of the Alan Moore issues. Everyone has different tastes.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:40 PM

I only caught the last bit of it (And the rest is incredibly hard to find), but Albedo is still one of the best sci-fi storyline's I've read. Pretty good hard-science story, though it keeps more to the personal and at times ethical/moral stuff than going into excessive technobabble. It's also the best presentation of space combat that I've read yet (Which isn't really a whole lot). I just wish I could find more of it cheeply...
Old 07-12-2002, 11:30 PM

I haven't read it myself but I have heard good things about Nausicaa by Miyazaki. The anime on which it is based was decent (though not as good as Mononoke IMO) so I would expect that the comic is also good.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:37 AM

Batman: Arkham

the Maxx

the Tick (the cartoon series was based on this, I think. Different, but still very funny)

thogh I haven't seen it yet, my brother raves about Lone Wolf and Cub

just for the artwork, pick up any Spawn

www.darkhorse.com is a great place to explore the whole trade paperback thing
Old 07-13-2002, 03:14 AM

Hellboy by Mike Mignola is the best comic book series, ever. And it's meant to be read in graphic novel format; I buy the individual issues just because I'm impatient, but I always get the TPB as well to re-read the story all at once. The first in the collection is Seed of Destruction, and it's a good starting point, but my favorite is The Chained Coffin and Others.

Mike Mignola's art style is the most distinctive thing about the book, but I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for his writing; all the Hellboy stories are weighty, creepy, literate, goofy, and hilarious all at once. Reading stuff by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman, I always get the impression that they're imaginative storytellers but they tend to be pretentious, and their humor is a little on the obvious side. Mignola does all the research, but doesn't pound you over the head with it, and has just the right sense of the delicate balance between "goofy" and "subtle".

My favorite graphic novel ever is Batman: Year One. I read it on a plane trip and was just blown away by it -- it takes a story just about everybody knows in and out and tells it in a way that makes it seem original and just gives it so much more depth and weight than 1000's of other retellings have been able to. And I'm not a fan of Frank Miller otherwise; The Dark Knight Returns always gets a lot more praise but left me underwhelmed.

Another favorite is Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits, which you'll probably like if you've been reading Preacher. I was a huge fan of the series even before Garth Ennis took over, and when he did, I liked it even more.

Lone Wolf and Cub and The Sandman are consistently good, as other people have mentioned. I also liked Tom Strong a lot. I also want to second the recommendations for Why I Hate Saturn and King David by Kyle Baker, and Mage by Matt Wagner.

Personally, I hate Cerebus -- I think it's pretentious, hateful, and just plain self-indulgent -- but lots of other people rave about it so YMMV. And I couldn't finish Maus; I thought it was well-done but just too depressing.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:46 AM

Speaking of Frank Miller, pick up 300, his telling of the Spartans who fought off the Persians. Stirring stuff.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:41 AM

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 2 will be in serial format first, yes?
Old 07-13-2002, 11:27 AM

The cover feature of the current issue of Wizard is "The 100 Greatest Stories Ever". It should still be on the newsstands. These were the top 10:

1. Maus: A Survivor's Tale
2. Watchmen
3. Batman: Dark Knight Returns
4. Sandman #4: Season Of Mists
5. Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1
6. Batman: Year One
7. Daredevil: Born Again
8. Marvels
9. Superman: Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?
10. X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga

Almost all of the GNs others have mentioned are in there too. Very handy guide, even if you don't agree with their rankings (Kingdom Come was at #40, which is insane IMO) since they give plot synopses and trivia.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:01 PM

A couple not mentioned yet:

Ronin by Frank Miller. Cartoon Network's Samuri Jack is a very poor rip off of this novel. This is my favorite graphic novel, and one of my favorite stories period.

Give Me Liberty, also by Miller. I mainly recommend the first story arcs; the later stories didn't impress me as much.

Batman: The Killing Joke. Wonder how Batgirl got confined to a wheelchair? This is a pretty good read.

Batman: The Cult. It's fun seeing Batman completely broken, and how he recovers.

Also, if you can find it, get the collected first story arc of The Elementals. A very cool take on the superhero genre.

That's all I can think of for right now.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:13 PM

Kingdom Come
and
Gon
Old 07-13-2002, 01:45 PM

Hi, just a question. I'm not really a fan of graphic novels, but I found this one in Borders a few months back, and I fell in love with it on first read.

The problem is that I can't seem to remember the exact title (Something with "Berlin") or the author, and now I can't find the book.

It deals with the stories of several people in Berlin during Hitler's rise in the 30's. Among the characters:
--A woman who moves to Berlin. She's an aspiring artist who draws pictures on lined paper and writes her diary on unlined paper.
--The journalist she meets in the train, who eventually becomes her lover.
--A group of art students, including one who pretends to be an American ... His name is Heinrich, but he likes to be called "Hank"
--A communist woman who poses nude for the art students. The novel ends with her getting shot to death during a demonstration.

If anyone could help me out with this one, I'd be much obliged. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:59 PM

I'm Lazy, So Not Sure if These Have Been Mentioned...

Ultimate Spider-Man : Man, the Spider Man movie was good. This is, like, eleventy-billion times better. That's how good it is. There are actually two trades, one with the first three issues, and one with the first seven. Pick up the one with the first seven, sit back, and enjoy. You won't find a finer origin story out there.

Starman : Can't say I recommend anything past issue 30 or so, but the first dozen issues are FANTASTIC. Really, some of the best writing and gorgeous artwork. Can't say enough about it. Stopped reading after 30 issues or so for reasons I won't go into, mostly plot related, and I have no wish to spoil anything. Just read it.

Top 10 : One of Alan Moore's ABC books. It's Justice League-meets-NYPD Blue. I'm disappointed that the "second season" won't be out for a little while, but damn this is a fine read. The "first season" trade paperback is out, and you should even be able to find it at Barnes & Noble. Probably my second favorite currently-published series, behind (go figure) Ultimate Spider Man.

I also have to second the choice of "Astro City." A real shame that Busiek has all but forgotten about this series.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:59 PM

A second (or third) vote for Lone Wolf and Cub - Dark Horse has recently released them in the orginal format, but translated into English. I'm pretty sure there are stories in there that may not have made it into the first English translations.

I'm another Sandman fan, and you may want to take a look at the Death books as well. I believe the first one of that series is Death: Time of Your Life, though I could be mistaken.

A friend has strongly recommended Battle Pope, but I haven't gotten to it yet. And for something completely different, A Distant Soil is fun fluff
Old 07-13-2002, 02:52 PM

If you want graphic novel and trade paperback recommendations, a fantabulous site at which to get them is Artbomb.net. Really well laid-out and designed, with good reviews, and indexed both by author and genre.

I'll also take this opportunity to proclaim my love for Kyle Baker, Transmetropolitan, The Invisibles (which concerns itself with so much more than politics) and really anything by Morrison, and also all things Eddie Campbell.

Other bookshelf-worthy comics I love:

Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Kid on Earth, by Chris Ware. A simply but beautifully drawn and colored, heartbreaking story about three generations of Corrigan men, and how they fail each other. The dust jacket alone blew my mind.

Planetary, by Warren Ellis, John Cassaday (art), and Laura DePuy (color). Ellis's love letter to 20th-century genre fiction. One of the few comics about which I get really, really excited every time a new issue comes out. There are two collections so far, comprising the first, um, 12 issues, I think.

Metabarons, by Alexandro Jodorowsky and Juan Giminez. The art. Sweet Baby Jesus, the art is beautiful. And Jodorowsky's writing is just bugfuck space-opera crazy, but in a very good way.

Finder, by Carla Speed McNeil. Like, socio-anthropological SF. Or something. I can't really do it justice in two sentences, so read the far better reviews on Artbomb.

Hopeless Savages, by Jen Van Meter, with art by Christine Norrie and Chynna Clugston-Major. The story of Dirk and Nikki Hopeless-Savage and their kids Rat, Twitch, Arsenal, and Skank Zero. Punk rock family values. Published by Oni Press, and actually I've never read an Oni book I haven't enjoyed, so their whole library is worth looking into.

Okay, I'll stop now.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:58 PM

Have any of you ever read Blade of the Immortal? If so, what did you think of it?
Old 07-13-2002, 03:01 PM

quarx

Looking around the link provided by Lux Fiat, I found a book called Berlin: City of Stones. Perhaps that is what you are looking for?
Old 07-13-2002, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anamorphic
Have any of you ever read Blade of the Immortal? If so, what did you think of it?
Can't say that I have.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:19 PM

That's the one, qs, thanks!!
Old 07-13-2002, 07:17 PM

I highly recommend picking up a copy of the catalog Previews every month. Lots of mouth-watering stuff in there, and a good way to see what you'd like to sample.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anamorphic
I bought the first collection recently, and I hate it. Like, so much that I don't even like having it in my house. I got it because I've always been a sucker for stuff set in medieval/early modern Japan, and the story sounded interesting. But I was really disgusted by it; it's just thinly-disguised pornography and completely mean-spirited violence. And the story & characters are so shallow that it just seems like wasted potential.

All just IMO, of course, but I usually have a pretty high tolerance for trashy comic books! I'd suggest (again) Lone Wolf and Cub if you're looking for that type of thing -- it's got plenty of over-the-top violence as well, but it all serves the story and characters you actually give a rat's ass about.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:29 PM

I was just reminded of another graphic novel I really enjoy... Barry Windsor-Smith's amazing Weapon X, a rough "origin" of Wolverine (of the X-Men). It's a far cry from the typical Wolverine story... it has excellent art and minimal dialogue. Well worth reading.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberPundit
I haven't read it myself but I have heard good things about Nausicaa by Miyazaki. The anime on which it is based was decent (though not as good as Mononoke IMO) so I would expect that the comic is also good.
Nausicaa the anime is a very rough work that shows its age, and is more important for the ecological ideas it espouses and the approach to science fiction--something like that was missing from Japanese animation. The manga (comic) is an extremely good and engaging read and goes into far greater detail than the anime, dealing with politics and perception in an almost Dune-like way.

I recommend the graphic novel Blood: A Tale, which has to be the most interesting and original treatment of the vampire story I have seen to date--and I normally can't stand the vampire genre because I think it is tired and unimaginative.