Crystal Pepsi?

Does anyone remember Crystal Pepsi? You know, that drink that looked like Sprite but tasted like Pepsi. I was wondering how come it got discontinued? Or do they still sell it in some places?

While I’m on the subject of drinks that don’t exist anymore, does anyone remember 7-UP cola? I think it was released in 1987 or 88. That stuff was so sweet, my teeth would ache after every drink.

I think they discontinues the clear pepsi because it was god-awwfull! Yuk, I had to force myself to drink the second gulp, after discovering its horrid taste through the first. Only my dire thirst from playing basketball earlier got me to gulp two. But I’ll have you know tht no thirst would be so great as to make me approach the third sip. Eww I cringe at it now.
Sorry to all who fell in love with it, for I know I’ve liked some crazy things most people hate, but I really disliked it.

I remember an SNL commercial spoof for “Crystal Gravy”! Kinda summed up what most people think about changing the traditional colors of food and drink.

I remember another Pepsi product from years back; it was a diet cola with a twist of lemon. Tasted really nasty. I think it was called Pepsi-Light or something like that.

Does anybody remember C&C cola? It tasted just like Pepsi and was half the price! My guess is that Pepsi had those guys’ legs broke and made them an offer they couldn’t refuse.

I’ve got a great idea-caffeine free diet Jolt!

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.”
Hunter Thompson

• Apparently Pepsi and Coke had the same marketing consultants at one time. Newspaper stories said that that both were going to have clear versions of their drinks but I never saw the Coke. Did they ever sell the stuff? - MC

I don’t remember 7up cola, but I remember 7up Gold, which I loved, but disappeared rather quickly.

BTW, Crystal Pepsi was great mixed with Wild Turkey. We called it a “Tweakin’ Turkey”, get it?

Doesn’t Royal Crown Cola, or RC Cola as it’s most known as, taste exactly like Pepsi as well?

I think you’re right, Louie. I fall on the Pepsi side of the old Coke/Pepsi fence, but I’d be just as happy with an RC. On the other hand their diet drink, DietRite, is probably one of the nastiest colas I’ve ever tasted.

Crystal pepsi was discontinued a few years ago b/c after everyone tried their first can, there were no repeat customers. If i remember right, there was a Citrus Crystal Pepsi (towards the end) which lasted for about a week. Very gross.

I prefer Coke to pepsi (as most normal people do), but RC is by far the best - any restaurant that has RC (or better yet, RC on tap w/ free refills) automatically has me as a return customer, even if their food blows. RC is the perfect combination of coke and pepsi (in fact, i once guessed that the secret recipe of RC is one part coke, one part pepsi, and they sell it for a few cents more to make their profit). But i dont think i am right about this one :stuck_out_tongue:

What? 7up is history? No way. I could have sworn they still sold the stuff. To me it’s always been on the same level of popularity of sprite. I’ve got to check the next time I’m at the supermarket.
I’m back to Mountain Dew again. I usually stay on it until it hits critical mass and for some reason it just stops appealing to me.

I remember Crystal Pepsi. That stuff was wierd. I don’t know about anyone else, but I was used to clear drinks being lemon-lime and dark drinks being Coke/Pepsi. Maybe that’s why it was yanked?

I prefer Mountain Dew and Diet Pepsi to just about anything else. Coke has too much vanilla for my taste, and Dr. Pepper has too much prune juice.
–Sylence

“A friend of mine once sent me a post card with a picture of the entire planet Earth taken from space. On the back it said, ‘Wish you were here’.” - Steven Wright

The Pepsi product that was diet soda with a taste of lemon was called Pepsi Light.

My father owned a convenience store in the 1970s and 1980s. Once my brother got called by a marketing group and asked to name some brands of soda he was familiar with. He read off something like 20 brands. He had everything on the list except for Vernor’s, which we didn’t sell.

At the same time as Pepsi Light, there was also Pepsi’s Aspen, an apple flavored soda.

quote::What? 7up is history? No way. I could have sworn they still sold the stuff. To me it’s always been on the same level of popularity of sprite. I’ve got to check the next time I’m at the supermarket::

Regular 7up is still around. It’s 7up Cola and 7up Gold that are gone. Remember, regular 7up is The Uncola.

I was pretty young at the time, but I remember really liking 7up Gold, too. The funny thing is, though, even though it didn’t last, it ruined one of their ad slogans. 7up Gold had caffine, so ever since, they haven’t been able to advertise “No Caffine! Never had it, never will!” on every can.

Did Crystal Pepsi really taste that bad?

I had some years ago, and thought it tasted the same as regular Pepsi, but was too wierd to drink since colas are supposed to be colored. Lets face it, if someone served you a slice of ham with pink and purple polka dots and covered in a plaid sauce you’d probably have trouble eating it even if the coloring had no flavor at all.

No way. I despise Pepsi, but I really like RC. In fact, I drink that second only to my favorite, Cherry Coke.

I think Crystal Pepsi tasted like reg. Pepsi, but it was hard getting my brain to cope with what it was seeing versus what it was tasting, and it may have shorted out a few neurons in the process. Ghost has a point; it was odd drinking something that, when you looked at it, put your taste buds on “lemon-lime alert”. This might be why fizzy water tastes rank to me- based on what it looks like, my poor brain is wondering why it didn’t taste what it was expecting.

What about Pepsi’s Storm? Yuk- The kind you get at store has caffeine but if you order it a restaurant out of a fountain- no caffeine-Hmm?

I remember reading about test marketing for a product called “Pepsi A.M.” . . . it was for people who drink Pepsi in the morning in lieu of a cup of coffee. Was supposed to have extra caffeine.

Several years ago Consumer Reports rated the colas. They pointed out that Coca-Cola’s main flavor (besides, of course, cola) was vanilla while Pepsi’s was lime. Thought that was interesting.

I like Pepsi better.

Do they still make Green River? That was a favorite waybackwhen. Also Canfields Diet Fudge, which made most people gag just from hearing about but I thought it was pretty darned tasty.

“Anything is peaceful from one thousand, three hundred and fifty-three feet.”