That's bloody well enough. (Work rant)

Some time ago I posted this thread about how my job sucks. It still sucks – in fact, it sucks quite a bit more. I’m tired of it and I’m quitting, finally. I put in my notice last week. It would have been sooner but I dreaded giving notice because I don’t want to call attention to how miserable I am.

I had hoped to make it through most of the time without anyone finding out that I was leaving. I don’t want to discuss it, and it’s not up for negotiation. Frankly, it’s sort of embarassing for me. I’ve never just quit a job before (when I left, it would be after a seasonal job when I told them how long I could work when I started). It’s embarassing that I don’t have any other prospects but that I am tired of being exhausted and miserable.

Of course, though, someone asks me to work a shift for them after I’m leaving. I was vague but declined saying I was leaving and wouldn’t be available. Person in question doesn’t bring it up, but rather someone else (and on another shift, so they must have been talking about it in a group) – and of course, it’s in front of both my shift and the next shift, and the supervisor as well.

Is there any polite way to say “I hate this job” in front of these people? Not really. A lot of them do this as a a career. I can’t stand it. I hate this job and I hate spending time away from work hating it. If I explain to these people why I hate it, they’re most likely going to be angry about what I have to say.

Frankly, I have just never been in so fucked up of a job situation as this one. Being nasty and antisocial seems to be the norm rather than the exception; hating your co-workers seems to be standard operating procedure. While there are a handful of really nice people, most of them just seem plain mean. Maybe it’s the kind of work, but I hate it when I see how jaded they are and how nasty they are to the public. There are so many problems within this department that boil down to personality issues and the fact that there is very little mutual support or teamwork. Again, there are exceptions. There are a few people who have been nothing but nice to me and have tried to help me out because I have been struggling so hard. It’s just very difficult to learn a job where they tell you “if you don’t know, ask for help” but yet asking for help earns you eye-rolls and drawn out sighs. When you thank someone for helping you, they’re just as likely to ignore you or say “uh huh” huffily as to even try to feign interest. Hell, my sister went into the hospital this weekend for emergency surgery, and though several people knew, nobody asked me how she was or offered the slightest amount of sympathy (“I hope she’s ok”). This apathy or even antipathy extends to the public, too. I can’t even count the number of times when someone called with an emergency and were upset but when the dispatcher couldn’t even be bothered to sound slightly empathetic or even interested. It seems that these people missed the days in kindergarten when you learned “please”, “thank you”, “you’re welcome”, and how to be nice and work together. It’s not that I expect perfect harmony; it’s just that I expect a little bit of common courtesy. If you honestly don’t care, you can at least try to not sound bored and mildly frustrated that someone is bothering you.

The supervisor is, frankly, a lot of the reason I left, for a lot of the reasons I put in that post. She really excels at making people feel stupid and unappreciated. I don’t think she’s ever given me praise, except for one time when she was trying to tell me how to do something and I said “Oh, thanks but I already know how to do that part, and I already did it”, and she went “Oh, uhh, well, good then.” I hate feeling stupid. I’m not stupid and I know that, but she makes me feel that way because everything I do is wrong. Sometimes she tries to make it constructive criticism, and that at least is OK. Sometimes she is very nasty and patronizing. For example, one time we had a visitor and she was explaining some of our systems. She pointed out that she didn’t like something I was doing, and explained how it was basically dumb and inefficient, and how I shouldn’t do it. I was incredibly embarassed and upset – and what’s more, the person who trained me told me to do it this way! I just didn’t say anything. If she has a problem with it, she can talk to me herself instead of embarassing me in front of a guest.

On various occasions I have been chewed out for not doing things I was never told to do, or for handling situations badly on which I was trained little or not at all. When I try to say that I violated some policy because I didn’t know it existed and nobody told me, I was told that they “always train” people to do that and that she “knew” that I was told. Well, what do I say to that? All I can say in my defense then is “Well, you may always train people to do that, but I wasn’t trained, so I did the best I could based on what I knew.” Of course, I am still wrong and I still get in trouble. My trainer, on various occasions, denied not training me something to get herself out of trouble.

On still other occasions I was berated for asking for help, even after being repeatedly told that I was not asking for help when I should and that I should always ask if in doubt (or even when I was not in doubt, because apparently I should know when I’ve made a mistake even if I didn’t know the policy existed that I was apparently violating). This was done by the same individual (among others) who told me to ask. One day it would be “You messed this up. Why didn’t you ask for help?” (Because I didn’t know I was wrong until too late.) The next day it would be “Why don’t you know this? I thought you were DONE with training!” (Because you never trained me how to do this, and because a lot of my training was self-taught from a book that doesn’t have updated policies or policy from our particular institution.) In one case, I asked about a policy on how to prioritize calls – I didn’t do anything, I only asked. I was berated on several occasions not to hold calls for service (I never did), and was later blamed for several incidences where other people had done this but I hadn’t (because I had some imaginary history of doing it based on me asking about it). I was even once chewed out for someone else doing it that was working at the same time I was – for not knowing about it, I guess?

Finally, I decided to leave. I was put on a 15 day stretch with no days off (I had a training during my “weekend” (middle of the week, really) on days, I work nights). On the last day of training, I was there 8-5 and worked 11-7am as well. I live an hour away from where I work, so I got about a 3 hour nap. I got to work and made a stupid mistake (I mixed up two businesses with the same name on the same road), and of course got chewed out (this time by the officer, and on the radio. Thanks). I knew I would probably be in for another one of the nice chats with the supervisor that starts with her coming in at the end of my shift, poking me really hard (what is WITH that?) and saying “I need to talk to you” angrily. I just couldn’t put up with any more. I had already worked 9 days in a row, and had to switch back and forth between schedules with no time off. I had enough problems driving to work without crashing, let alone navigating all of the different calls and radio traffic. That was it. I had enough.

Basically I said it was an anxiety issue. It is, but I didn’t, of course, drag out why. I am nervous and shaky all the time, and I have so much dread about going to work and, late in my shift, seeing my supervisor that I get nausea. The work is hard to do, but constantly being the department pariah because of training issues and personality conflicts is just unbearable. I work nights, weekends, holidays. I haven’t gotten a good night sleep since I started on nights – the worst time I’ve gotten chewed out was after a mistake on my first night, and ever since then I’ve been too anxious and upset to sleep well. I’ve even had nightmares. Sleeping during the day is hard enough without all the stress.

Unfortunately I still am working until my notice is over. I hate being there. It’s sad because I really am interested in law enforcement and I think that I could have been very good at this job in a more constructive, mutually helpful department. I’ve met a lot of people outside our department through training and I don’t think we’re typical. We have a lot of problems keeping people on staff. The brass is really mystified as to why we have so many problems. I’m not mystified at all. It took only about two months to transform an interested, motivated, reasonably intelligent trainee into a poorly trained, anxious, constantly exhausted dispatcher who quits out of sheer frustration with the problems of the department.

Anyway, I hope I can get through the rest of my time (8 shifts and counting) without any more “issues”.

Sorry that this rant sucks.

I am a lowly v.reservist, but my experience has been nothing but positive (within the department!). Especially during training, the instuctors were more then willing to take time out to explain things to me. The officers at my PD were equally helpfull.

Don’t discount a future in LE because your dept was full of assholes! LE is in dire need of intelligent, healthy bodies. Check www.officer.com for other LE jobs in your area. (Or all over, if you are willing to move.) Especially if you have a CJ degree, you have your ticket to any major PD you want.

Fluiddruid don’t feel bad about resigning. You are doing what is best for you.

My last job was a soul-destroying drudgery where my boss was stealing from the till, the higher-ups didn’t want to know anything about any problems, my boss insisted that part of my job was lying, cheating and doing other underhanded things at the expense of my customers. He was an abusive, lying, manipulative bastard. And almost all of my fellow workers had a similar attitude.

I took two weeks off for a short holiday, and decided I didn’t ever want to go back. The money I was earning wasn’t worth the effect it was having on me. I gave two weeks notice on my first day back from my holiday and felt like the whole world was a better place.

Six months later, I ran into the only person who was semi-human at that job and find out that four others resigned after me (way to start a chain-reaction) and the boss was prosecuted for theft :smiley:

I’m still smiling. Be happy you’ve reached the point where you can let yourself free of that kind of garbage, and aren’t forced by other circumstances to stay in that toxic environment.

All the best, as you take your first steps on a new path.

Some jobs are just like that, and you need to bail out before they take you down with them.

One of my friends, a very dedicated and proud policeman, left a police job that I know he was proud of for a very long time. He loves policework, he’s tough as nails, and not one to quit for a frivolous reason. But something went down there that got to be so bad, he had to leave. No matter how tough he was, he needed to get OUT. And he did.

He got another police job somewhere else, and (as far as I know), is much happier.

Just do your time, get out of there. The place sounds hellish. These people deserve each other (perhaps) but you certainly don’t! Our good thoughts will be with you.

I’m glad, fluiddruid. That other thread killed me the first time I read it. The job sounded like a customized hell. I can’t believe you stayed two more months after the old thread.

Are you going to stay in Happenin’ Ames, or are you going to go where a job takes you?

Thanks for the support, guys. It’s tough because I can’t talk about it with people here – but I can read SDMB at work. :wink:

Brutus: I don’t think I’d have a very good reference…

That’s exactly how I feel. The money is good but between the fatigue and the stress I can’t enjoy it. (I haven’t been able to see one movie since I started on nights and I usually see many, many movies when I have the money, like one every week or two at least.)

I feel a lot better now that the end is in sight!

It did get a wee bit better for awhile – partly hope and optimism, partly supervisor was away for a week and it took the pressure off. It’s been very bad since I’ve been out of training though.

[quote]
**Are you going to stay in Happenin’ Ames, or are you going to go where a job takes you? **

[quote]

Not sure yet. I’m considering moving out of state but no definite plans.

Yeek, I forgot yosemitebabe! Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. It helps to know that other people think I made the right decision. I feel pretty selfish about the situation sometimes, though I don’t think I had much choice in the end.

yosemitebabe is right: some jobs are just like that. Oy vey, the stories I could tell you!

As my father used to say about quitting a job, “I was looking for a job when I found this one”–meaning you can always get another job.

I would offer one piece of advice, though: if you don’t like shift work (not being able to go to the movies at night), don’t take a job that involves it. It’ll add to your stress. Me, I loved it! I was always bidding for either 10:30PM-7AM or 4AM-12:30PM, because I like having my afternoons free, and I always worked holidays because I got paid 2.5x my normal pay.

Please don’t feel embarrassed about quitting; I am glad you are taking care of yourself as it sounds like you are being eaten away at slowly by this job. You don’t need to explain anything to folks around you; if they’re not brain dead (a stretch, I know) they will understand and are probably longing to leave too.

Your supervisor comes up and pokes you to get your attention ?? WTF?? It would be my dream to leave on the spot when that happened; kudos to you for looking out for yourself and it sounds like you won’t have a problem finding a new job.

You’ve been putting up with a lot of crap and doing your best; as long as you remain polite about it, why wouldn’t you get a reasonable reference? And there are defintely positive ways to phrase this in explaining to the next prospective employer. “I’m a hard worker and am looking for a position where I am supported and part of a team…” etc. They will get the implication about how things were before.

PS About the reference, with the libel risk and all that, your current job may just confirm you were employed there as stated, etc. Other LE departments are probably aware of how things are at yours and will take that into consideration and know where you are coming from. And it they really need folks, they will be happy to have your application.

Congrats to you! :slight_smile: I read & posted to your original thread. No job is worth feeling that badly. Good Luck on your new path.

Actually, the problem is not that I’m not available to go to the movies at night (I am; I leave town for work at 9:50pm, which is plenty of time to catch an early show). It’s just that between working 15 days in a row and some 12 hour shifts and the fact that the stress was keeping me from sleeping that I just couldn’t get my ass over there. I’d be in bed!

Thanks. Honestly, a lot of the people there keep talking about how desperate they are to get out of there, and those are the people who were the most baffled or the most hostile about me leaving. Zuh?

Yeah. It’s incredibly demeaning. I probably wouldn’t even complain that much about it (because it was always followed by a good, long chew-out) but that another co-worker mentioned it. What’s up with that? Don’t touch me!

I hope that’s the case. I’m drudging my way through my two-week notice for that reason, and trying to keep up the same quality of work. Actually, I think my work has gotten a lot better because I no longer feel the crushing weight of the anxiety and fear, because there’s really nothing they can do to me. The only thing they could possibly do is ask me to leave immediately, and that’s what I want!

I’d be nervous that employers would think I was high maintenance or something. Is it common to come forward like this during the pre-employment stages?

That’s true. It’s certainly something I will have to consider. It’s sad because, now that I’m no longer so stressed, I’m really getting into the groove of the job and I think I’d be good at it if I was in an environment that wasn’t so hostile.

Slainte: Thanks! I am feeling much better now that the end is in sight.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

Fluiddruid, I think your supervisor in the dispatch center must have had a twin sister working where I used to work. I was training as a dispatcher and quit after two months just because of the evil, nasty, fucking bitch of a supervisor. (Still want to smack her a good one every time I think of her)