Need Recommendations for Young Adult Literature

I’ve been drafted (ok, ok, volunteered) to tutor/mentor 3 young girls this school year (starting two weeks ago).

#1 is entering the 9th grade* and is very intelligent but does not like to read for either pleasure, instruction or general knowledge.

#2 is entering the 7th grade and is also not keen on reading. She also is not very quick to pick up on concepts but she is interested and diligent.

#3 also entering the 7th grade (whom I haven’t actually met with yet, my first time will be this evening since I missed church yesterday - but I’ve read some assessments from her school in the past year, namely the latest IEP evaluation) probably feels the same about reading as the other two but I don’t know yet. She is, however, in a special education program** and from what I’ve read is not confident in her abilities in any areas except physical, artistic or musical. Happily, her skills in the more academic areas have been improving in the past year.

I’m looking for recommendations for books that are

1. not very long 100-175 pages
  2. the subject matter is interesting
  3. the books are not focused on romantic relationships between teenagers (a sub-element of this is ok)
  4. not a lot of …oh I can’t remember the term, but when the book is written with a lot of colloquilisms or slang.
  5. the writing is fairly easy to follow (not The Cat in the Hat - but not War and Peace either) - I want to stretch their vocablulary but I don’t want to scare them.
  6. this is a church based program so while the material doesn’t have to be prim & proper - it shouldn’t be too racy. Books dealing primarily with anything supernatural we’ll tackle when I’m more certain they can think critically about what they’re reading. Other more “mundane” science-fiction/fantasy is welcome.

Each girl can read something different so I’m not looking for something that all of them can read concurrently since they’re all on different levels.

Right now I’m trying to get their summer reading assignments completed before school starts.*** But after that I’m trying to stay away from stuff that is normally taught in schools. Of course I’ll help them with what’s assigned to them in class but what I give them will be in addition to that.

Right now girl #1 and I are reading Animal Farm by George Orwell and I’ve picked out A hero ain’t nothin’ but a sandwich by Alice Childress, as her second summer reading selection.[sub][sup]( I know this book violates #4 on my list above but I had a limited selection and was trying to find something quickly.)[/sub][/sup]

Girl #2 and I are reading Sounder by William Armstrong as her summer reading project. (She only has to do one book.)

So, any help anyone could give would be VERY much appreciated. (Please if you recommend a book, give me a brief synopsis of the storyline.)

Thanks in advance,
mornea

• For all of you who are unfamiliar with the US public school system, a 9th grader is usually @14 years old and 7th graders @12 years old.

**This is incredibly daunting to me. I pray that I am able to find a way to help this young lady become more confident in her abilities. I subscribe to the notion that everyone is capable of learning - if they are taught in the way that is right for them.

**Yeah so it’s the end of JULY before they even pick a book off of their respective lists and these projects have to be done by August 26th!!! Aaaacckkkk!

I’ve been reading young adult stuff myself lately, and had forgotten how good it could be.

It’s too bad that so much good YA stuff is fantasy – some churches frown on that. Philip Pullman’s series, Susan Cooper’s books, the Diane Duane wizard books, Narnia, Alice Through the Looking Glass – probably not acceptable.

But these should be:

Shadow Castle by Margaret Cockrell – innocent fantasy, sort of a YA fairy tale

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Hanson – an impoverished family with two daughters living in a castle in England, good stuff about family, loyalty, resourcefulness, work.

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket – three orphans must outwit an evil uncle who’s trying to get his hands on their money

The Shadowmaker by Ron Hansen – another book about making do, resourcefulness, attitude.

The Time Warp Trio books by Jon Scieszka are fun. He’s probably more well known for The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (told from the wolf’s POV)

There’s a start. All of these are fairly short, and they’re easy reads.

I recommend Elizabeth Enright. My favorite’s were “Gone-Away-Lake” and “Return to Gone-Away-Lake.” I think they would be really good, especially for the younger two. Hey, for the older one as well…I still enjoy them enough that I re-read them every few years.

Also the “Betsy-Tacy” series by Maud Hart Lovelace. She started the series when Betsy and Tacy were children, and continued all the way through their young adult lives. I also re-read these every few years.

And of course the “Little House on the Prairie” books by Laura Ingalls Wilder were wonderful. Have to re-read them soon.

For fantasty lovers, “The Chronicles of Narnia” by CS Lewis.

The “Borrowers” series by Mary Norton.

“Pippi Longstocking” series by Astrid Lindgren

“Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle” series by Betty MacDonald.

Anything by Beverly Cleary.

I feel a trip to the children’s library coming on. Hmmmm…I wonder whose kids I am borrowing books for THIS time? :slight_smile:

I was raised in a fairly conservative Christian home, so I don’t think I would have been allowed to read them if there was anything your church wouldn’t approve of.

These may seem a bit young, considering you are reading “Animal Farm” with one of them…(Yikes! and I was concerned about adult content?) So you might want to just suggest them to the younger girls…although I think the quality in all recommended books is high and as I said…I still enjoy them as an adult. It might be that your older girl would enjoy them enough to actually read them on her own. For her, the Narnia books, the later Betsy-Tacy books and the teenage Cleary books. Email me if you want further details on titles that are “teen” oriented. Scotticher@aol.com

Some of the books I recommended are on the list here. Good luck, and may I say that I think you are doing a marvelous thing. A child who learns to love to read will never be alone.

http://splnet.spokpl.lib.wa.us/kids/toogoodtomiss.html

Try Holes by Louis Sachar. It will seem a little young for the 9th grader, but my sister (who teaches high school English) has found it to be popular with her students. She keeps several copies on her in-class ‘library’ shelves and it is constantly being borrowed – even by upper-classmen. It is a great book and meets all of your criteria. I particularly like it for kids who aren’t really readers but who are otherwise quite bright. It is deceptively simple – the language is easy enough but the story is many layered. Read it yourself – as I said, it’s a great book.

Jess

Auntie Pam, I think the Narnia series should be acceptable. It was written by a respected Christian author, CS Lewis, and is sort of an allegory for the story of Christ.

Oh, and when your teenager gets to the point where she actually LIKES to read, (I have FAITH in you…she WILL get there!) …I fell in love with Jane Austen in fifth grade, starting with “Pride and Prejudice.”

As they get a little more comfortable, or even now (though there is a slight element of the supernatural in these, in that many of the characters have a talent for magic), I’d consider the Tamora Pierce books - there are several sets. These are fantasy books and have a sort of Greek set up of gods - and may not be appropriate for church:

Tortall (currently three quartets)
*Song of the Lioness quartet:
Alanna: The First Adventure
In The Hand of the Goddess
The Woman who rides like a man
Lioness Rampant

Immortals quartet
Wild Magic
Wolf Speaker
Emperor Mage
In the Realms of the Gods

Protector of the Small
First Test
Page
Squire
Lady Knight (to be released this month)*

The Circle books:
*Circle of Magic
Sandry’s Book
Tris’ Book
Daja’s Book
Briar’s Book

The Circle Opens
Magic Steps
Street Mage
Cold fire
Shatterglass (not yet released)*

Let me think for a bit and see what other books/authors I can come up with.

I’m sorry - I missed your request for a synopsis of the books. I’ll do it by quartet, 'k?

Song of the Lioness
Alanna wants to be a knight, her twin brother wants to be a sorcerer. They switch places, and she eventually makes it, having to disguise the the fact that she’s female.

The Immortals
Veralidaine Sarrasri learns that she has “wild magic” found in all natural creatures, and as she learns to use it, she takes part in a war against immortal creatures (storm wings, centaurs, etc) that have been released by the Emperor of nearby Carthak from the realms of the gods.

Protector of the Small
Ten years after Alanna disguised herself, Keladry openly begins training to be a knight - this has somewhat less of a fantasy element than the others and may be appropriate. How she deals with the male pages, squires and knights as well as those who don’t want her to succeed.

The Circle Books and The Circle Opens
Four orphans are brough together by one mage and learn that they have an unusual form of magic, along with finding the teachers best suited to teaching each one their craft. Learning to control and use it. The Circle Opens books take the orphans out into the world with their teachers - and to the first students of each one of the orphans.
They don’t sound like much on screen - but I re-read them regularly at 28, and love them. I have to go explore the children’s/YA sections of the library in the new town soon. :slight_smile:

No offense, but why limit it to fantasy?

The various Sherlock Holmes short stories are Victorian proper & can really hold a young person’s intrest. Also, there are ones of various lengths. And, if really necessary, abridged versions for kids.

ooh…I went and opened a box of books that I’m unpacking and one of the first ones was M. M. Kaye’s The Ordinary Princess. I can’t believe I forgot that one.

It’s sort of a fairy tale - but instead of the traditional blond, tall beautiful princess, Princess Amy is given Ordinariness from a fairy godmother at her christening. Just a delightful book - not too long, and fairly simply written.

url=“http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/books/reviews/the-amazing-maurice-and-his-educated-rodents.html”]The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.
A most excellent book, as is anything by Pratchett. Maybe a bit longer than 175 pgs but worth every page. (Follow url for synopsis.)

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

I even previewed, sigh

The 12 year-olds would probably enjoy and be able to comprehend these:

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Ordinary Princess

A Wrinkle in Time

Where the Red Fern Grows

*Anne of Green Gables *

Bridge to Terabithia

The Yearling

Depending on how strict your religion is, some Judy Blume books might be appropriate (Blubber/Iggie’s House/Sally J. Freedman/etc).
The 14 year old would probably find these interesting:

The Pigman

*Catherine, Called Birdy *

Jane Eyre

A Wrinkle in Time

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
I second looking into the Sherlock Holmes stories, and think Jane Austen would also be a good choice (especially Emma/Sense and Sensibilty/Pride and Prejudice). These are very easy to read and understand. Good luck with your tutoring.

I was a huge reader as a kid (and still am today). I don’t want kids of my own, so I was kind of bummed I would never get a chance to share beloved books with a kid. Luckily, my boss’ daughter is 9 and a very very bright, hugely prolific reader.

I am the “Bookworm.” Monthly, I pick out a book (usually one of the ones I adored as a child) and give it to my boss to sneak to his daughter. She loves having a mysterious benefactor, and I love choosing just the right book.

Some of the books I’ve chosen:

101 Dalmatians - the book is GREAT
Starring Sally J. Friedman as Herself
The Westing House Game
Five Children and It
The Headless Cupid (an unhappy teenager tells her younger step children she is a witch, but of course, she isn’t)
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler
The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
An Old Fashioned Girl
Ginger Pye
The Witch Family
The Egypt Game
D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths
The Sea Fairies
Ballet Shoes
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden
Heidi
Black Beauty

For your #3, I would definitely recommend “Hundred Dresses” by Eleanor Estes and “No Flying in the House” by Betty Brock.

Uh, meant step siblings, not step children.

Re: The Westing House Game
It’s just called The Westing Game. My 7th grade literature class read that one. Very popular.

We also read Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene and Agatha Christie’s Ten Little Indians when I was in middle school. Appropriate enough for school, I think, and all quite interesting.

I second (third) “The Westing Game”…we read it in 7th grade and it’s AWESOME.

“Catherine, Called Birdy” is also really good. I read it in college as part of a Literature for Young Adults class. I think the 2 younger girls would enjoy it. It’s a daily diary of a teenage girl in uhm…like, the middle ages. Some of the words are hard, but it’s great for making kids curious about history.

“Anne of Green Gables” is kind of long but it’s phenomenal. I did a book report on “Anne of Avonlea” in 6th grade, so it shouldn’t be too tough for the older girl. There’s a lot of great words to look up in these books.

Are the “Babysitters Club” books still popular? I loved those at that age. If they want to get really excited about books, start them on a series. They might not ever stop!

Most of the books by Gary Paulsen are excellent, but somewhat dramatic. I fell in love with “Hatchet” (Paulsen) in 5th grade (but I was an advanced reader, so it’s still good for older kids), which is about a kid surviving on his own in the wild after a plane crash.

Robert Cormier is my all-time favorite writer. I can’t give you a synopsis of his books (some examples are The Chocolate War, The Bumblebee Flies Anyway, I Am the Cheese), but they’re deep and emotional and very “real.” I read some in 10th grade English class but they are good for anyone 13 and up I believe.

One other I liked as a kid was “The TV Kid” which is somewhere along the lines of a Cormier book, but written by someone else. I don’t remember the story exactly but I know it involved a kid who had family problems and spent a lot of time watching TV.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!!

I think Cormier is a lot more likely to get you into trouble around the church than CS Lewis. The Narnia books are very Christian; if your fellow parishoners can stand any fantasy, this is the one. The Cormier books get pretty rough in places. I think a 9th-grader can handle it, but her parents might not agree. Also, consider * Alice in Wonderland * and * Through the Looking Glass. *

The Chronicles of Narnia, already mentioned, are great, and good for a wide age range, from child to adult. A Wrinkle in Time (also already mentioned), as well as some of Madeleine L’Engle’s other novels, are also good for pre-teens and young teens. Another good book is Watership Down.

I think that all of these books are a good bridge from childhood reading to adult reading. At least, these were some of my childhood favorites, and I’m a regular bibliophile now :slight_smile:

I would suggest The Black Stallion if they are animal lovers. Its a whole series and the first 5 or so are all quite good, with The Black Stallion’s Filly being a personal fave. (They do deteriorate a bit towards the end of the series). You can also discuss how Walter Farley wrote quite a bit of it when he was in high school! Plus if they get really into it you can move up to Seabiscuit: An American Legend, because alot of the Black Stallion story is lifted from the real life of Seabiscuit. (I know a 12 year old girl who is not crazy about reading, but IS crazy about horses, who is reading this book and enjoying it.)

The Phantom Tollbooth is a great book, I think your 12 yo would enjoy it.

Very long but also great for animal lovers 12 and up, All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot – life and times of a sometimes-hapless country vet.

I double Ms. Frisbee and the Rats of NIMH. That is one great book.

By the way, what you’re looking for is really Intermediate novels vs Young Adult/YA novels. What’s the difference? I work for a major book retailer and this question was recently asked at a staff meeting. The pat answer: “sex and suicide.”

In other words, YA novels are far more likely to deal with “heavy” issues, such as death of loved ones, life’s unfairness, bad guys that win (a la the Chocolate War), sexual awakening, etc.

Books like Harry Potter, Phantom Tollbooth etc. are considered Intermediate novels.

I only mention this in case you go looking to your friendly neighborhood bookstore… You might find the “Young Adult” section a little intense for your needs.