The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-21-2002, 08:36 PM

Identifying furniture makers by their mark

What resources are available for identifying furniture by its maker's mark? Websites, books? If you don't know, a maker's mark is a symbol or a set of initials that identify the craftsman or company that crafted the product. Trying to find information with only a symbol is next to impossible unless you're an industry insider, which I am not. I'm not talking exclusively about antiques. I'm actually more interested in a specific piece of modern furniture. The symbol I'm researching is a tree carved into a 30-year old bedroom set. The symbol appears to be a typical rounded, mushroom-shaped oak tree. I'm told that it comes from a well-known manufacturer that's probably still in business today. Unfortunately, I have no other information than that.
Advertisements  
Old 08-22-2002, 10:47 AM

bump.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:34 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

When I have been unable in the past to help a library patron with this kind of question, I have recommended two sources of information:
  1. An appraiser. If you are nervous about selecting a reputable appraiser, you can always ask your insurance agent. They should have an idea who can help you.
  2. A museum. Museums usually have extensive human and textual resources for this kind of information. Call the nearest large art museum and ask to speak to the head of their collections division or the chief curator (depending on how big the museum is). Explain to them what you are looking for and ask if they can help.
Hope this helps.