morning weakness

this used to happen all the time when i was a lit’lun; not so much anymore. but still sometimes.

when i wake up, i feel weak. muscle weak. it is a great effort to make a fist, or at least to clench a fist tightly.

what is the deal?

jb

The deal is you need to see a doctor.

There’s more at the link. Go to the doctor. Just to make sure. :wink:

no, i’m pretty sure i don’t need to see a doctor about this. as i said in the OP, i have noticed this for many years.

DDG, as much as you tend to offer great input and lots of info, sometimes it seems like you chime into threads after googling and you act like you didn’t just get your info from a quick web search.

i don’t need to see a doctor about this. i simply want to know why my muscles sometimes feel weak in the morning.

thank you anyway,

jb

Why on earth would you come to a web board to ask for advice about a medical problem, then get upset when someone tells you that the problem you’ve described is consistent with something serious and you should visit a doctor?

When something’s wrong with your body, you see a doctor. A doctor is the only one with the capacity to tell you what the problem is and whether or not it’s something which needs attention.

I don’t think this is a ‘medical problem’, guys. This used to happen to me all the time - daily, actually. It was like my muscles were still waking up. Just like I used to regularly wake up in pain in the middle of the night from a charley horse, some mornings it was impossible to open the stupid jam jar for breakfast :stuck_out_tongue:

It still happens occasionally, but now it’s only if I sleep crooked.

It doesn’t sound like something to see a doctor about. It sounds like a normal thing to me. I feel weak just after I wake up. I will sit at the computer, stretch, drink coffee, and after a long while y muscles seem to wake up gradually. Note that athletes also do warming up exercises to get theire muscles ready for full power so it would seem muscles take some time warming up.

So, what do you want, you want me to post my Google search terms every single damn time? So everybody will know that I didn’t just come up with an answer out of the vast depths of my Cecil-like intelligence, that I had to actually look stuff up like the rest of you mere mortals?

Sheesh. When I mention “I Googled this using such-and-such search terms”, folks jump all over me for throwing Google in their faces. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. :rolleyes:

Okay, okay, I freely admit, to the assembled Teeming Millions, that in order to help you answer your question, I did a Google search under [checks History folder] “morning muscular weakness”, and it was Hit #10, at the bottom, and it looked like the most logical potential answer to your question, and so I clicked on it, and sure enough it seemed like it answered your question, and so I Copy and Pasted what I thought seemed like information that was relevant to your question. No angels or otherwise supernatural beings assisted me in this–I did it my own self, with my widdle keyboard and my fast-typing ten (entirely mortal) fingers.

And it took me about 4 seconds, and no, it didn’t occur to me to also inform the Teeming Millions that in fact I had not come up with the link out of the vast reserves of my God-like Internet Telepathy.

And you could have looked it up your own damn self in that same 4 seconds, except that it wouldn’t have given you the answer you wanted to hear, which was evidently, “Naww, you’re okay, you don’t need to see a doctor”.

Or are you saying that you object to my definite tone–“you need to see a doctor”? What would you have preferred–“In my opinion, you ought to maybe think about possibly consulting a doctor, if you have the time…”? You think I was ordering you to see a doctor, out of the boundless depths of my God-like wisdom, without bothering to inform other readers of the thread that I was not, in fact, God?

Nobody else seems to be having a problem with my seemingly God-like wisdom being paraded all over GQ. :rolleyes: Everybody else here seems to understand that when someone says “you need to see a doctor”, it is merely his opinion, no matter how loudly he may state it.

You’ve been here long enough to know that when you post a medical question in GQ, if the answer isn’t something straightforward like, “No, it’s normal to wake up with an erection, you don’t need to see a doctor about it”, that the answer is going to include the advice to “see a doctor”. What if you came in here and somebody told you, “Naww, that muscle weakness is perfectly normal, you don’t need to see a doctor”, and you did turn out to have multiple sclerosis? We’re talking lawsuits out the wazoo, against the Chicago Reader, against the SDMB, against the moderators in General Questions, and for all I know against Al Gore for inventing the Internet. :rolleyes:

When somebody takes the trouble to look something up for you, the only two acceptable responses are, “Thank you” or “Thank you, but that wasn’t what I was looking for”. Normally you don’t also take a minute to post a personal criticism of the poster who was kind enough to look up your question for you.

Do your own “quick Web searches”, then.

Happens to me too. I just assune that I was awakened in a REM state and it took a little time for my muscles to come back online.

My preternaturally slow fingers (:)) found this site:
http://www.sleepdisorderchannel.net/stages/

i was thinking about this yesterday morning.

fist-making seems to be the area most affected. maybe the tissues in the forearms are a bit swollen from protracted horizontality. since the hands are controlled by tendons in the forearm, tendons which are already cramped, this congestion doesn’t allow for full articulation of the fist-making machinery.

maybe?

jb

Happened to me as a kid, not sure if it does any more. Someone else opened a thread about this once before, maybe the originator will come in and remind us of it.