Why Do I Sweat When I Drive?

So it seems that every time I drive I sweat for no apparent reason. This has been going on for a few years now. It doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold, muggy or dry or anything relating to the temp or humidity inside or outside the car. (As a side note I don’t sweat as a general rule, unless it’s really hot and muggy and I’m doing hard work outdoors). I’m not a nervous driver at all (but I am a nervous passenger, but I don’t sweat then). Also I should mention that it’s a cold sweat. So I don’t notice it until it drips off my armpit and hit’s the side of my cheast somewhere and suddenly I feel a drip of cold water. Sorry if this is incoherent, it’s 6:15 on a sunday morning and I’ve already been awake for over an hour, I’ll clarify and unclear details later on in the day. Thanks

Do other people sharing the same highway sweat when you drive? This could be relevant…

Joey, I have no advice for you, just wanted to post that don’t think you are a nut. I don’t really drive, but when I was taking my lessons I got out of the car and my shirt was a different colour. Not sweat-patched but drenched. I barely sweat in a sauna, and not when I am nervous either, and plenty of things make me nervous. Perhaps it is a combination of slight nerves, concentration, and the mild physical work of driving the car? </wag>

i sweat while driving only if i’m doing one of my adrenaline rush drives at high speeds…

perhaps it has something to do with your mind-state while driving… try to be more relaxed…

maybe someone else will have a better answer…

The thing is that I’m an extremely relaxed driver, I consider myself to be one of the most confident drivers I know. In response to AHunter3, no one that I know sweats when the driving, including the people that drive on the same highways as myself. Iteki: I’m not talking about being drenched or anything. But in a 10 or 15 minute drive, were talking like 2 or 3 drops of cold sweat (sometimes it doens’t happen at all, sometimes it happens more).

A/C - Try it.

Keep in mind you’re sitting in a metal box with glass all around, being cooked by the sun. It doesn’t have to be a hot day for the temperature in the car to get higher than your body likes it, even if you don’t notice it.

Crack a window or two. Open the T-top. Crank up the A/C. Put the top down. Your passengers will appreciate it.

BTW, you don’t drive a cab or bus, do you?

Like I said in my OP
“It doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold, muggy or dry or anything relating to the temp or humidity inside or outside the car”

And also it’s a cold sweat, so I really don’t think it has anything to do with my body or surroundings be to warm. Also, it’ll happen in the middle of winter.

Like I said in my OP
“It doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold, muggy or dry or anything relating to the temp or humidity inside or outside the car”

And also it’s a cold sweat, so I really don’t think it has anything to do with my body or surroundings be to warm. Also, it’ll happen in the middle of winter.

Like I said in my OP

whoops?!?

“Whoops” nuthin! triple posts are inexcusable. :wink:
Maybe because when you drive your arms are elevated? Normally we keep our arms at our sides, and the sweat gets smeared around, thereby drying faster. Or not as noticably. Your sweat is produced by glands and probably just drips out.
Peace,
mangeorge

But why only when I drive? There are plenty of other times when I sit with my arms out, for example, sitting at a desk for long amounts of time??

Well, Joey, that kinda leaves fear. Maybe you’ve trained yourself to be calm and relaxed, when inside you’re pretty nervous. I dunno.
I’m quite comfortable at heights, but when I used to work up high, I’d sweat just as you describe. And when I’d come down I’d be more tired than the work itself warranted.
It’s your inner child screaming “Get me outta here” :stuck_out_tongue:

Joey P, you think your relaxed? Here’s how you find out if you’re not. Take your pulse before you even get in the car and then take it once you’ve discovered that you’re dripping with sweat. If there’s a difference i.e. you pulse rate is higher then you are indeed under stress. Are you hands cold? Cold hands are usually are a typical symptom of not being relaxed.

You mentioned to take my pulse once I’m dripping with sweat. To clarify, I’m not dripping with sweat. In my 10-15 minute drive to work, I’ll feel about 1 or 2 drops of sweat, but nothing substantial, nothing to raise any concern, just curiosity.

Maybe there’s a leak in your heater. :wink:

My suggestion: this skin down your back and legs is not being allowed to “breathe” and perpiration is building up. I’d take a very close look at your seats. If they are cloth, the fabric “pores” may be clogged with sweat and dirt (this is the same reason a dirry winter coat is less comfortable than a clean one). Clean your seats thoroughly and maybe use a cotton seat-cover.

The sweat is coming from my armpits. Which are not rubbing against anything. Think of wearing a loose T-shirt and sitting at a desk with your elbows on the desk (kinda the same arm position as when gripping a steering wheel)

Okay fine, just do the pulse test to see what the difference is, that will tell you whether your having a stress response or not.

I got five that say’s he’s stressing.
:smiley:
Peace,
mangeorge