Voila is the correct spelling

I keep seeing the word voila butchered on threads. The correct spelling is VOILA!

Not viola. Not violla, etc.

Thank you for your attention.

Thanks, Voilet.

I’ve seen people on other boards spell it wahla…cringe city. Bleah.

Or you could maybe spell it the way I once saw it on a crafts message board: Wah-lah!

(I spell voila but I say “viola” just because I think it’s funnier that way.)

If I’m not mistaken (and I’m pretty certain I’m not), it’s actually voila with an accent aigu over the “a.” That’s the one that goes this way: /

Hahaha!

Well, jackelope, I hope you’re man enough to admit when you’re wrong, because you certainly are in this case. It’s not an accent aigu over the “a,” it’s an accent grave. (the one that goes this way: ) Take it from me, the sibling of people who went to French Immersion for a fair number of years. (besides, I remember [some of] my French classes fairly well, sort of) If you won’t take it from me, take it from here.

Violet, I agree with you 100%. Seeing the word “voila” used in place of “voilà” just makes me think of the musical instrument. (or calling my brother to come play something on his viola for me)

At least they don’t spell it “wallah,” like someone I used to talk to on ICQ did. That just made me cringe.

F_X

I usually say/type victrola, as in: “…and now we will check zee soufflé. And victrola!, she ees done!”

I think it helps eliminate confusion.

This used to be my #1 pet peeve, but it’s been supplanted by people who say/write “jive” when they mean “jibe.” I understand the foul “bonified” (in lieu of bona fide*) is starting to be a really common occurance as well.

Whoops! I took out my * segment without taking out the * …sorry!!!

Already did it.

Voilà!

Like Deux!

Oh, and what a grave error it was, too.

I like to pretend people are trying to be funny when they type “Wha-lah!” etc. It keeps my aggravation level down a bit.

OK. We are the self-appointed Voilà Police. With or without the accent is OK with me.
Voilà!

No one has ever said that to me before, voguevixen.

“BONIFIED”?

Please tell me you’re kidding.

The stupidity… aargh.

D’Oh! My ninth-grade French teacher’s ears are no doubt burning right now. I console myself with the thought that I at least knew there was an accent in there somewhere. And that my French pronunciation is so atrocious (to say nothing of my English) that a miscued accent is the least of my communication problems.

I have chosen not to get up in arms over misspellings of voilà in order to conserve my energies to fight the atrocious and disgusting “woah.”

:shiver: