The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 09-30-2002, 07:45 AM

How long does your average shower take?

So I just got out of the shower, and I realized that it didn't take me very long to do the whole undress/shower/dress thing.

Just under ten minutes to:
  • Start the shower
  • Undress
  • Hop in
  • Wet hair
  • Wash hair
  • Rinse hair
  • Put conditioner in hair
  • Wash entire body
  • Rinse body
  • Rinse hair
  • Get out of the shower
  • Dry off
  • Get dressed

(If it were a shaving day, I'd say it would've taken me ten minutes more.)

When I was a kid, I could just stand in the shower for. . . eternity, it seemed. Maybe I don't have the patience or time anymore.

Maybe ten minutes is average, I dunno. How much time to you spend in the shower on average?
Advertisements  
Old 09-30-2002, 07:48 AM

Takes me about 10 minutes, or a little longer if I have a lot of tangles in my hair to tease out.

When I was in college I would sometimes spend an hour or longer in the shower. Of course, they never ran out of hot water....
Old 09-30-2002, 07:50 AM

Hmm...perhaps I'll time myself later this morning, but keep in mind I have to:
  • walk all the way down the hall
  • find an empty stall
  • undress
  • start the shower
  • wet hair
  • shampoo
  • rinse
  • wash body
  • rinse
  • shut off water
  • dry
  • dress
  • return to room

College is great!

I seem to remember that at home I could be in and out in about 5 minutes, but that doesn't include dressing afterwards .
"·BraheS· I object to your classifying tuna as fake meat. They're the cows of the sea, except for "sea cows," but manatees are illegal here. | ·GMRyujin· Sorry, fish isn't real meat. Real meat has legs. | ·BraheS· Hell, *I* have legs. Why isn't anyone eating me? | ·GMRyujin· Cause you eat tuna, dude"
Old 09-30-2002, 08:08 AM

Okee doke people,

EIGHT minutes!

EIGHT!

Of course, I had the benefit of a large mug of coffee and no drowsiness (I stayed up all night), so My (and your) mileage may vary.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:15 AM

At one point it took me slightly more than a half hour, but I think now I'm down to c. 20 minutes.

And my hair is longer than most...
Old 09-30-2002, 08:34 AM

Hot

Soapy

Waterfall

(As long as I have time for)
Old 09-30-2002, 08:40 AM

30 minutes.

But then, I like to relax in the hot water. Mmmmmmmmm.....
Old 09-30-2002, 08:42 AM

30 minutes. It's the half-hour shower.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:05 AM

5 minutes tops. When younger, my standard was always the length of one tune blasting on my stereo. These days, the alarm goes off at 6:00. By 6:10 I have showered, shaved, brushed my teeth, dressed, and made the bed.

Now my kids --- that's another story. How they can take so long to wash those little bodies?
Old 09-30-2002, 09:09 AM

Alone, about 5 minutes.

Now if the wife's in there with me...we're looking at an extra minute or two...
Old 09-30-2002, 09:52 AM
BANNED

My parents house enver had a shower, so wehn i was 11, and over my friends, I used hers.
Well!
It was so much fun I took about a half hour.

But actually, it only takes me about 10 minutes.
I'm a quick washer.
The rinsing is mroe fun and takes longer.

I do not wash my hair in the shower.
For some odd reason, its the kitchen sink only.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Typical workday morning, ~ three minutes (with today's new improved short short hair). But I did spend 30 minutes enjoying a shower at a Holday Inn yesterday.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:24 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

About 10 minutes from turning on the water to drying off. If I've been doing particularly grubby work, it'll take longer, and if I'm just having a quick rinse, or not washing my hair, it's definitely quicker. I don't understand the joys of just standing in the shower. I'd rather get in, get done, and get out.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:43 AM
BANNED

C'mon. I know for a fact that some of you are the proverbial "Hour-in-the-Shower."

Come clean -- er, admit it!
Old 09-30-2002, 10:56 AM
BANNED

those who are dirty need longer showers
Old 09-30-2002, 10:58 AM

I'm in the about ten minutes group, maybe five more minutes if I'm shaving the ol' legs. But if I'm singing a good song, and get inspired to do a few more numbers, all bets are off. I could be in there till my fingers shrivel up to nothing.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:00 AM

Less then ten minutes for me.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:02 AM

Fifteen to twenty minutes or so. What? You don't relax or anything in your showers? Another ten minutes or so for showering. Not exactly sure, but I'll time myself tonight.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:16 AM

About half an hour if it's my morning shower - When I've just woken up I do everything slowly on account of still being half asleep. Also I like to relax in the shower. Mmm... Hot water.

If I'm more awake it's generally about 20 minutes.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:22 AM

As long as I possibly can. But with the stupid hot water, system, it's lucky if I can get 15 minutes... If I shave, then I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be racing to finish up with my legs and feet... Yeah, I can just stare off into space for ages in a shower... I can tell you, the first thing I'll do when I move out is to get myself a damn nice shower. And an auxilliary hot water system... And an extra high pressure nozzle and extra high temperature...

A shower is an assistant to waking up; I'm sure I could manage it in five minutes if I had to, but what's the point?
Old 09-30-2002, 11:22 AM

15-20 minutes in the morning before work. I spend most of that time waking up and mulling over what I need to do that day.

If I'm awake before I get in the shower, usually between 5 and 10 minutes. If I'm in a hurry, I can cover all bases and come out reasonably clean in 3-5.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:24 AM

About 15 minutes during the week - a bit longer on the weekends, and longer on shave-the-legs days. I love the hot water - wakes me up and helps loosen up my neck, shoulder, and back muscles, which are always tight.

This doesn't count drying off, putting on moisturizer (essential in Chicago winters, and just nice to do the rest of the time), washing face, brushing teeth, putting in contacts, and drying hair.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:26 AM

Five minutes from undressing to dried off and dressed. I usually let my hair air-dry and it's short so it doesn't need anything other than combing out. Add another 3 minutes if I am shaving my legs in there.

Now, my SO takes a *minimum* 25 minutes, not including shaving. About a quarter of the time, he then fills up the tub and soaks in there for a while.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:42 AM

ten minutes of water + ten minutes of shampoo

I save space by subbing shampoo for soap...and toothpaste
Old 09-30-2002, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by superbee
Alone, about 5 minutes.

Now if the wife's in there with me...we're looking at an extra minute or two...

I did mean showering for the express purpose of getting clean, but y'know. . . a little 'help' in the shower isn't a bad thing and is actually expected to take a little longer.

Quote:
Originally posted by whatmove
I save space by subbing shampoo for soap...and toothpaste
Actually, when I lived with my parents, I noticed my brother's dandruff shampoo in the shower one day. Wondering if it really would make my scalp tingle, I tried it. It did. Thinking that tingly feeling might be neat all over my body, I lathered up with it. . . it was nice.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:15 PM

Male/Short(er) hair, step in - dry = 15 min. I can't imagine an hour in the shower. I'd drown. I do believe in more than one shower a day, though.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:33 PM

40-45 minutes. Just the shower.

How do I do it? An apartment with a huge hot water heater, a showerhead with perfect water pressure, and a stereo in the bathroom. Plus, I take a shower first thing in the morning, so I'm just waking up in there. And I wash my face with three different types of cleansers, so that takes up quite a bit of time.

And then there are "spa days." The days when I get up, soak in the tub for a while, shave legs, exfoliate everything, get out of tub and dehydrate, then shower, then do a facial mask. And paint fingernails and toenails. That takes all day. (But it's fun and my bathrobe loves me.)

"We are all worms; however, I do believe that I am a glowworm." ~Winston Churchill
Old 09-30-2002, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I've got two showers. One in the morning and one at night, they both take care of two different things and both take about 45 minutes or so.

The first shower takes care of all general cleaning which takes about 10 minutes of it or so, then the time consuming part of shaving my body. I have this thing about body hair - don't like it so I shave it once a day, top to bottom (I catch a lot of $hit for this, I don't care, I love to be smooth). That whole process takes another 25 or so because i have to be careful as there are some areas I need to be extra careful around. The other ten minutes of the shower I spend washing my hair.

The shower at night is just to wind down from the day. I get in, lay down, and let the water hit me with my radio blasting for somewhere around 45 minutes. The time for this one varies from a lot less to a lot more (generally depending on the quality of music played on the radio).

Yes, hot water IS included in my rent.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:26 PM

By the time I step into the bathroom and until I get out, takes about 15-20mins.
That includes
-undressing
-turning it on
-gettin in
-shampoo
-rinse
-conditioner
-shaving legs (which is everyday)
-washing body
-rinsing
-washing out conditioner
-washing face
-one final rinse
Then I get out, put a towel on, and I'm out
Now actually getting dressed, make up and what not, that's another story. :P
Old 09-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Hm... if left to my own devices, about 1/2 hour to shave, shower, brush the teeth, and all that good stuff. Depending on the length of my hair it can take longer, too. At its shortest, the whole thing takes 20 minutes (I do like to just relax in the hot water), and at its longest I can take 40-45 minutes. Right now I seem to be right at the half hour mark.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:12 PM

About ten to fifteen minutes, all told. Although if I really decide torelax and stuff, it can be twenty minutes or more. Hot water is included in my apartment rent, so it never runs out, and I have hot showers all the time.

F_X
Old 09-30-2002, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I am so tempted to take a shower now, just to relax!

I take my showers in the morning, so there's no "undressing" to be done - just removal of a bathrobe (which is, out of pure laziness, often just the towel I intend to use!). By the time I turn the water on, to the time I turn it off, dry, and am back in my room (2 feet away) - about 12 minutes. Yes, 12. I have figured out the MINIMUM amount of time I need to get up and make it to class on time. If I am shaving though, then add on another 10 minutes or so, because in the years since I first shaved, I have yet to figure out how to do it quickly without massacreing my legs!

And water is included in rent too, so if I take more time, I don't mind too much. And the water pressure is PERFECT in this apartment. Too bad the washroom is hideous and there's no plug to add a stereo
Old 09-30-2002, 07:58 PM

5-7 minutes from the closing of the bathroom door to the turning off of the water and the reach for the towel.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:54 PM

I think we have to determine when the clock starts and when the clock stops.

I'd say, for arguments sake, that the main complaint of people is that "YOU'RE USING TO MUCH DAMN WATER!!!" So, I'll say that the clock starts when the water is turned on an is off when the water is turned off.

For me, I guess the Navy thing stuck as they definately limited you on the ship. So, even now, on to off is no more than 3 minutes.

It's part of my OCD because sometimes I'll actually count to 180 and shut the water off at that point.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mayberrydan
...The shower at night is just to wind down from the day. I get in, lay down...
You lay down in the shower?

My shower is 15-20 minutes. I shave in the shower too. Only my face, though, being a guy type.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
originally posted by yojimboguy

You lay down in the shower?
Yup, it's a bathtub with a shower head and tons of water pressure. I lay down as if it were a bath but just have the shower head on. It's relaxing.

I'm a guy as well. I used to swim quite a bit which forced me to shave then and I realised I liked it so I kept it up.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:21 AM

It takes me about 7-8 minutes to shower if I opt not to beat one out while I'm in there.

But it usually ends up taking me 10-12 minutes.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:00 PM

I've done it but, I choose not to whip up a batch while in the shower. Too distracting - all that water and soap and bottles and crap. I'll choose to do it right before and then turn on the shower. Just me.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:22 PM

Ten minutes or less? People, are you even washing in the cracks and crevices, or do you just get a little damp and jump right out?!?

I take at least half an hour. AT LEAST. (Besides, I'm not paying the water bill.)
Old 10-02-2002, 01:16 AM
Ogministrator

I take about 45 minutes at an average. Most of the time is spent enjoying the hot water shower. I absolutely cannot have a bath in cold water.

Why can't all hot water showers have a digital setting for temperature ? That way i can set it to exactly the temperature i want, with no struggling with balancing the cold and hot taps... and I so hate it when those small geysers run out of hot water every few seconds... then you gotta put off the shower and wait a whole minute before you get hot water again...
Old 10-02-2002, 01:26 AM

I take about 7 minutes, unless I'm predicting so "action" that night, it will take me about 10 minutes. I'll spend a little more time on my boys...
Old 10-02-2002, 05:18 PM

My shower is about 10 minutes from water-on to water-off.

The real question, though, is how long does it take you to get ready in the morning (for work, class, etc.)? From getting out of bed to walking out the door.

Me - about an hour and a half, which includes eating breakfast, making coffee (which I drink once I get to work), etc. I think that's obscene, and I wish it didn't take me so long, but I can't find many places to cut down on time. Oh well.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I can be shaved, showered, dressed and in my office 25 minutes after opening my eyes.

But that would be a haul-ass morning. Usually I take right at an hour (which includes checking the board).
Old 10-02-2002, 08:57 PM

Showers, about 10-15 minutes. Get in, get wet, wash and condition hair, shave, wash up, rinse off.

It takes me about two hours to get ready in the mornings, because I tend to linger while doing my hair-I start reading when I'm supposed to be curling it. That's why I take my showers at night.

Yes, I'm high maitenance. But, I also have to share a bathroom with four other people.

My FATHER, on the other hand, takes more than a half an hour in the bathroom every damn morning-shaving, showering, and doing his freaking hair, which is thin and less than an inch long. Dammit, can't you leave for two seconds and let me pee?
Old 10-02-2002, 11:23 PM

The actual time from getting in the shower to getting out the door varies for me.

If my class is early, I'm up and out within an hour and a half, but that includes 'waking up' time, which isn't also shower time. If I have nothing to do until later in the day, I might laze around, take my shower and then 'primp' for a while before I actually leave the apartment.