The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 10-06-2002, 08:57 PM

SDMB black rifle club

Brutus suggested we start a SDMB black rifle club for those of us who own politically incorrect spoprting arms. While I'm all for that cause I've recently decided to colorize my own black rifles.

My AR started as a pre-ban Colt HBAR sporter with flattop and detachable carry handle. A few customizations later it's a snazzy little M4 replica. The 14.5" Bushmaster barrel has a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor permanently silver soldered in place so the ATF considers it the same as an ordinary 16.1" barrel. Aside from an attachment for rifle grenades (not used on that type anyway) I have all of the "evil" assault weapon features.

I retcently decided it was a bit too "goth" so I decided to switch over to Cavalry Arms furniture in desert tan. Starting with pistol grip and will soon swap hand guards and CAR buttstock.

I also have a Savage 10FP which started all black but replaced the whippy factory stock with a Choate in olive drab but I'm also working on a gray/black laminate wood varminter stock.
Advertisements  
Old 10-06-2002, 09:08 PM

I don't have an AR-15, but I do have a sweet little 10/22 with a bull barrel and black stock and scope. Of all my guns, it is the most fun to shoot. Great little squirrel gun too if you don't have to walk too far. (It weighs 10lbs) One day I am going to try a carbon barrel.

My Browning A-Bolt .30-06 is a silver and black gun. SS metal, with a synthetic stock and matching silver scope. No, it isn't fine French walnut, but it doesn't get scratched either! It does have the BOSS on it, which makes it look a little more menacing !
Old 10-06-2002, 09:19 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I have an AR-15 HBAR, 1992 manufacture, 100% stock. Plus about 30 30-round magazines.

I am also the proud owner of a Mini-14 SS Ranch Rifle, with the factory SS folding stock, and factory SS scope rings. I even have the rare "factory, legal to own but not sold to the public" pre-ban SS magazines to go with it.

Also 2 AK-47's, and several other assorted military-style weapons.

Do I get to join the club?

Una
Old 10-06-2002, 09:27 PM

My latest pride and joy is a Krebs AK-103k. Black furniture and a nice black finish. It has the -74 type muzzle break, which does a great job keeping you on-target, but whoa! does that beast let some flash out!
Granted, I am shooting Wolf (which I personally think is pretty darn good ammo, especially for the price. I may get brave and try some out in my handguns). 30 round mags are cheap, ammo is cheap, and the -103k is as accurate as I am, so it is a winning rifle. Mr.Krebs does fine work, even if it costs.

Of course, when I slap on the PSO-1, it is a true snipers' tool

I sold a EA Pre-Ban M-4gery that I had. I just can't get comfortable with .223...

My next project is going to be a long-range rifle of some flavor. The 10fp's get the grade for price, but being on a slavic-weapons kick, I may go with a Romak-III I am a fairly bad shot at range, so I am not about to sink a few grand into a Chandler or something like that. I can shoot poorly with a cheap rifle just as good as I can with a $5000 one.

Handguns:

Colt 1991A1 S.70, Russ Carniak custom. Oh so sweet.

Browning Hi-Power. Hey, we all need at least on hicap, right?

S&W 686. .357 revolver is just what the doctor ordered for a home-defence stupid-simple peice.

Kimber Ultra II. This is my CCW peice. If I knew how good kimbers were, I would have gotten a full size instead of the colt. I have never had a firearm function so smoothly out of the box.

Soviet Makarov. Hey! 130 bucks, you can't beat it! And soon as I get a Russian shotgun, I am going to go to a few local 3-gun meets with the Eastern-Bloc trio.

Out of curiosity, have you fired Wolf 9mm or .45? If so, what are your opinions of it? I can generally find cheap milsurp 9mm, but with .45, I am averaging about $.20/round. I'd love to cut that down, and Wolf would fit the bill, but I don't want to kill a $1,200 pistol trying to save a few bucks on ammo...
Old 10-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I have three AR-15s. One is a 1979 Colt Sporter in the original configuration. I built the other two on lowers I bought before the bans. One is a carbine version with a collapsing stock and a 16" barrel with an A2 upper. The other is an A2 replica. My other "black gun", a Springfield SAR-8 (HK-91) had to be removed from the state because I didn't find out it was banned until after the registration deadline. (Yes, the others are registered.)

It's not black, but I have a sweet little Ruger Mini-14 with a copy of the Ruger folding stock. That is, it looks and functions just like Ruger's, but they weren't selling them so I took what the gun shop had. Actually, that stock isn't installed. I can't decide which I like better, so I switch them occasionally. Right now it has the factory fixed stock on it.

Haven't been shooting in years. The guns are under lock-and-key until I move out of state (which I hope will be soon).

'Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man.' -- Lu-Tze
Old 10-06-2002, 09:29 PM

Just saw Anthracite's post, and being a mag-hoarder like me, by all means she gets in the club
Old 10-06-2002, 09:32 PM

De-MIL'd M-14 (still housed in it's original MIL-issue fibreglass stock), with a dozen or so 20-round magazines. A Moisin-Nagant M43 carbine with folding cruciform bayonet. I've sold off most of the other Militaria & rifles, sad to say.

Do I still qualify..?
Old 10-06-2002, 09:33 PM

Only a Hungarian Makarov 9X18mm semi-auto. 7 round mag. Nothing to see here, I'll just move along.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:24 PM

what in the world do you people need with these types of guns! What if they fall in the wrong hands!

KIDDING!! I am the proud owner of a pre-ban(I think) Bulgarian SLR-95 (AK clone). Can I join?
Old 10-07-2002, 12:03 AM

<gawks at gun-toting Americans>

I don't think I've even seen a real gun before. Fascinating!
Old 10-07-2002, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What if they fall in the wrong hands!
Too late. Mwahahahahahaha!!!

Just kidding.
Quote:
I even have the rare "factory, legal to own but not sold to the public" pre-ban SS magazines to go with it.
I have three 20-rd. mags for my Mini-14. I used to have 30-rd. mags, but I think the 20-rd. mags look better. Anyway, the guy I traded mags with also had a Ruger factory 20-rd. blue mag (my rifle is blue) which he sold me for a very reasonable price. Of course, that's before they were outlawed.

I "stocked up" on AR-15 30-rd. mags just before the ban. I don't have as many as you, though! Maybe 15. All of the 20-rd. mags are Colt marked.

There is one rifle that I'd really like to have. (Well, several; but this one is high on the list.) An Armalite AR-180. I looked at one around 1984. It was the ugliest rifle I've ever seen! Ugly, stamped-steel receiver; ugly plastic stock; ugly handguards; ugly charging handle. Of course I had to have it. But being poor at the time I passed it up thining, "Oh, I can always get one when I have the money." Well, now I have the money. But they're illegal in California (except by owners who had them and registered them before the first ban). I still hope to find one when I move away. I mean, it's so ugly I love it.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:14 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny L.A.
I "stocked up" on AR-15 30-rd. mags just before the ban. I don't have as many as you, though! Maybe 15. All of the 20-rd. mags are Colt marked.
Mine are all "military spec", but pre-ban. I got them at $3 per, from a FOAF.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:23 AM

My tactical carbines are not sporting arms.

the truth about firearms and self-defense www.thehighroad.org www.a-human-right.com
Old 10-07-2002, 12:31 AM

The Savage is pretty nice and you can tweak it to your heart's content. I've got a Sharpshooter Supply trigger and will probably add the oversize bolt handle from the Savage scout model.

The Dragunov style rifles are interesting but finding reasonably priced .311" bullets is a pain. Much better variety of .308 bullets from bulk milspec FMJBT to Match Kings.

I've also got a project gun in the works, a FAL that will be built on a DSA reciever. I've got a couple of Stg-58 parts kits with excellent Steyr barrels. A local builder specializes in building FALs so I mau just turn the whole pile over to him to assemble and finish.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:33 AM
BANNED

um....

as one raised around firearms, and has owned same, 1 Q:

why the firepower?

a 30 round mag? how big of a war do you expect to encounter?

how many of these mags do you have?!
Old 10-07-2002, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mine are all "military spec", but pre-ban. I got them at $3 per, from a FOAF.
I still have a few that I got for $3 each. Ah, those were the days! I'd have to look, but I think all of my 30-rd. mags are military surplus. There might be one or two Colts in the lot, but I don't remember and I don't think so.

BTW: I've "retired" my Colt AR-15. I like the "AR-15A2" and the CAR-15 I built just fine, and they aren't making any more AR-15 Sporters. I've thought it would be cool to build a replica, but A) pre-ban lowers are hard to find or very expensive; B) the lowers have the "ribs" on them to protect the mag. release (and bolt release?); and C) when was the last time you saw an upper without a forward-assist? Still, it would be cool with a chrome bolt carrier and an old three-prong flash supressor.

Actually, given lots of money and a location that doesn't frown on such things, I'd like to build about five or six more AR-15s in different configurations. I'd also like to get a 26" barrel for my SAR-8 for target shooting. What can I say? I like variety.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:48 AM

Happyheathen, it's not a matter of needing such things in ways we can justify to others. Sometimes having something that others think we shouldn't be allowed is reason enough.

Almost forgot my "10/22" I found a target stocked 10/22 in my favorite shop and on inspection found it was an AMT custom shop sportsman team challenge model. Only a few were made. Stainless steel reciever bedded into a McMillan Anschütz style target stock. Extra, extra heavy stainless barrel threaded into the reciever and free floated. I got the rifle for less than what an unfinished McMillan stock would have cost. It's a back burner project as the Weaver T24 scope went to the Savage and I'm still looking at a better trigger to install in the AMT.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:55 AM

I guess I'm no longer eligible, but I had a really nice Chinese SKS carbine with a folding stock, bayonette, and 30 clip. I don't think it was legal with the stock and clip... But I had to pawn it when times were tough and ended up losing it.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by happyheathen
um....

why the firepower?

For me it was, I may not be able to buy one in the near future(if certain people get their way, particulary if this MD thing turns out a certain way) and no new magazines are able to produced.

That's usually enough for most people I've talked to.

Though I don't have to justify owning one unless other people have to justify owning land yachts or SUVs.

Though the rest of my firearms are a variety, with the only other military-type rifle being a 1903A3 springfield (a bolt action with a 5 round magazine).

*BTW, Do I have to sign any forms to join the SDMB Black Rifle Club?*
Old 10-07-2002, 03:17 AM

Quote:
um....
why the firepower?
-Why buy a $55,000 sports car capable of 185 mph when the speed limit is 65?

-Why have a 2-Ghz PC with CD-R/DVD and 512Mb RAM when all you do is surf a few message boards and E-mail grandma?

-Why have a riding lawnmower with headlights when your lawn is only 40 feet square?

-Why put a $9,000 soundsystem in your car and then just listen to the radio on your ten minute drive to work?

-Why buy a $10K plasma flatscreen TV when all you watch is The Simpsons and Adam Sandler movies on VHS?
Old 10-07-2002, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HPL

*BTW, Do I have to sign any forms to join the SDMB Black Rifle Club?*
We better get some sort of waiver going...

AK mags can be had for 9.99 new from CDNN. One of the reasons I went to the AK. My M1A loving buddy can keep his $60+ factory M1A mags!
Old 10-07-2002, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Not a black rifle, but my pride and joy is a romanian sar-2 ak-74 clone. Everything is original, and not much to look at, but I love her. I got a good one with everything straight and with pretty nice wood for a romanian. No mods except some trigger work - shaved part of the trigger and disconnector to get rid of trigger slap, and sanded and polished the trigger contact surfaces for a smoother pull.

Nothing feels quite the same as test firing a rifle after you shaved off a decent chunk of the disconnector
Old 10-07-2002, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Oh, also a beautiful yugoslavian mauser made on captured German equipment by Yugoslavian rebels in the mid 40s. Manufactured, test fired, soaked in cosmoline, and stored in a warehouse for 60 years. In mint condition, nearly unfired. Made with really nice (what I assume is) imported malaysian teak. I'm tempted not to shoot it - but I'm tempted more to shoot it. So long as I take proper care to clean it, I can keep it in excellent condition.

Also, a Finnish m39 1941 VKT marked mosin nagant - in less ideal shape, but absolutely beautiful.

Not exactly black rifles, but I still love them. Both of them are pieces of history - especially the latter. Given the general need for almost all Finnish infantry to serve in front line combat positions during the continuation war, and the relative shortage of rifles, it's very likely that the rifle saw combat. Someone put their life on the line in relying on that rifle, and it's just amazing to me to think of the history of it.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:26 AM

Can you believe I've had a ChiComm SKS for almost 10 years and have yet to put a round through it? Even got the 30 round magazine for it. Oh well, I'll just get my jonesy out shooting over 10K rounds a year in trap.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, also a beautiful yugoslavian mauser made on captured German equipment by Yugoslavian rebels in the mid 40s. Manufactured, test fired, soaked in cosmoline, and stored in a warehouse for 60 years. In mint condition, nearly unfired.
Hey, I have one of those! Not bad for $150; especially with the bayonette and other accessories.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:03 AM

I guess we better define black rifle. It's obvious the collective arsenal of SDMB shooters is enough to scare the bejeebers out of the SDMB hoplophobes (sadly, not all ignorance has been defeated yet) but I think we're losing focus here. All great fun to list our personal collections but let's define our terms. We need to decide what a black rifle is. The M-16/AR-15 family has always been nicknamed the black rifle but is the only one for purists? If you lose the goth look and dress it up in gaudy colors is it still a black rifle? If you paint the stock black on a .22 single shot is it really a black rifle or just a poseur? Is a stainless rifle in a black stock a black rifle?

And BTW one of my other back burner projects is a MAK-90 with a K-var US made, black synthec furniture kit. As soon as I get a US made trigger group I'll be able to assemble it.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:14 AM

Er, SenorBeef, that AK is indeed a black rifle - the term does not refer to the color!
Old 10-07-2002, 12:28 PM

Is this anything like the Gay Communist Gun Club?
Old 10-07-2002, 12:48 PM

Can I play?
Old 10-07-2002, 12:53 PM

Ruger MKII stainless bull barrel.

I guess the arsenal will have to wait until graduation.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:02 PM

I haven't taken a poll but I think we can safely say the SDMB black rifle club will not discriminate on the basis of sexual preference, gender identity or stuff like that. I'm personally not happy with communists in the ranks but I do believe in political freedom as a cornerstone of America so I gess pinkos are in too. If you want a black rifle with pink accessories the good old boys at Cavalry Arms can fix you up.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:11 PM

Holy smoke! [pun intended] A thread that's near and dear to my heart! I have several "black" firearms... H&K 91, 93, 94 and the Benelli Super 90; a KG99; an SKS that has had the whole accessory treatment; an M11/9; a new Savage Scout; an older scout rifle built on a Howa .308 action; a tricked-out 10/22 with an RWS light-gathering scope, a "pit bull" built on a first generation Para-Ord frame, a "bobtail" 1911A1; a knock-off of the "hush puppy" S&W M39; two Mossberg 500s that I 'refined' - one is a 18.5" barreled, scoped slug gun and the other is a 20" barreled entry gun with the "knock, knock" stand-off device; and my pride and joy - a first generation "target" Remington 700 M&P in .308. I've probably forgotten a few... and some of my sporting arms might be considered "black," depending on the criteria.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:27 PM

Brutus - I forgot to mention this... Some of the import ammo [Wolf included] sometimes have hard primers that can occasionally cause a misfire due to light strikes from the firing pin/striker of pistols; no problem for recreational shooting, but for competition or self-defense, it's probably a good idea to stick with a proven domestic load that feeds and functions reliably in your firearm. Another thing to be wary of is that some inexpensive foreign ammo has corrosive primers, which can cause problems if shot in a firearm that is not cleaned right after a range session. And, of course, you are no doubt familiar with the difference in primers used in some foreign-made ammo [Boxer vs. Berdan]. Which brings us to the one recommendation I would like to make to you regarding .45ACP - buy a Dillon XL650! At $450.00 or thereabouts, you can have a reloader for a just little more than two thousand-round cases of ammo. I'm sure you have lots of brass [with Boxer primers, not Berdan primers, right?] - so the cost of "rolling your own" would be very inexpensive.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by radar ralf
buy a Dillon XL650! At $450.00 or thereabouts, you can have a reloader for a just little more than two thousand-round cases of ammo.
OMG, now I know you're a real suvivalist, nutcase wacko. Who else would need to load so much ammunition... Anyway, do you have the electric case feed hopper for yours? I've got it for mine and it's terrific. The dillon factory is just across town and I've spent a frickin' wheelbarrow full of money at that place. I got mine initially for .45 ACP as well but lately I've been loading mostly .44-40 for cowboy action shooting. My favorite 19th century assault weapon is a reproduction '73 Winchester. I just got a Black Dawge powder measure conversion for the Dillon so I could load black powder more efficiently and safely. They take a Dillon measure and replace the plastic hopper body and an internal part with metal so there is no risk of static buildup and possible kaboom.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I am sooooo in there. . .

I once had a piece of crap SKS, which couldn't hit sky nor earth no matter how hard I tried. So, I saved up a few dollars and bought myself this little beaut of an XM-15 E2S Shorty AK Rifle. This one I own, but I get to play with all sorts of other cool toys at work.

Yeah, I've got two other shotguns and a handful of pistols, but "Regina" is my favorite. Currently, I'm working on piecing together another for my Pop via the "kit route".

What I reeeealllly wanna get my hands on is a Thompson.

Tripler
[Homer]Ohhhhhh, Thompson . . .[/Homer]
Old 10-07-2002, 06:21 PM

I use mostly Wolf in various calibers, including 9mm Parabellum and I haven't had any problems with it.

Out of many thousands of rounds I've had 3 (all from the same case) that might have misfired due to hard primers. I say might because the failures happened in the middle of a tactical rifle class and I had to clear them as fast as possible and keep shooting.

It does make one heck of a muzzle flash though, so I am trying to find some ammo that doesn't. I mostly use my SAR3 (Romanian AK in .223) for the classes, and we keep shooting on into the night. The guys tease me about bringing a flamethrower to a rifle class.

I'd also like to use another brand .223 in case my buddies ever need some of my ammo - many of them have AR's and would prefer something besides Wolf. (Personally, I would prefer they use less picky guns... )

the truth about firearms and self-defense www.thehighroad.org www.a-human-right.com
Old 10-07-2002, 06:22 PM

Confession time - I don't own a Dillon press, but I have several friends that do. I use quite a few Dillon products at my reloading bench, though. Instead of a progressive press, I have four single-stage presses that I use to reload one caliber during a reloading session. I have a Rock Chucker for full-length resizing, an RCBS Jr. for bullet seating, and a Lee Challenger for taper/factory/roll crimping. I have another Lee that is dedicated to bullet swaging. I have reloaded a lot of ammo on a Dillon 650 [mostly 9 X 21 for IPSC], but I guess I'm just old fashioned enough to stick with the single-stage presses. I have never become comfortable with the priming process on a progressive press. For that matter, I don't like to prime on a single-stage press, either. I use the hand-held priming tool made by Lee, but I am just about ready to switch over to the RCBS tool - I have heard it is supposed to be safer. My reloading process is pretty labor-intensive [two different cleaning stages - first with a tumbler and then, after sizing, with a vibratory cleaner; and checking OAL with a Stoney Point tool and powder weights with an RCBS 5-0-5 scale - both every tenth round,] and some of my shooting buddies give me a hard time about it, but it works for me and I can produce ammo that looks and shoots better than a lot of factory stuff. When I get all the presses set up to each do a different part of the reloading process, I can crank out a thousand rounds in pretty short order.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:23 PM

Quote:
um....

why the firepower?

Not as many as some in here . but I do have a 40 rounder a 30 and two 5's. Why the firepower? It's a hobby. like the guy with a $5000.00 set of golf clubs, or the lady with 10 grand worth of shoes in her closet, most of which she only wore once and will never wear again,or the talk show host who has several MILLION dollars worth of cars. I can go on and on......
Old 10-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

So how many of you guys are actually black and how many are just whiteboy wannabes?

When I saw the thread title, I thought of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, the reference he made to a rifle club in New York composed of black members.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jomo Mojo
So how many of you guys are actually black and how many are just whiteboy wannabes?

When I saw the thread title, I thought of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, the reference he made to a rifle club in New York composed of black members.
Shooters clubs span all gender, racial, religious, sexuality, and social boundries

The only requirement is something that goes 'bang' when the trigger is pulled, and more specifically, for this club, a military-type rifle. Why even a proud liberal such as yourself can scratch together 300 bucks, get a AK, and join up
Old 10-07-2002, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Miskatonic
Is this anything like the Gay Communist Gun Club?
I remember that. I was in it for a while, but they kicked me out because:

A.)I wasn't Gay

and

B.) My communist leanings only went as far as being a great follower of Marxist(Groucho, Chico, Harpo and occaionsly Zeppo) Philosophy.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brutus

We better get some sort of waiver going...

AK mags can be had for 9.99 new from CDNN. One of the reasons I went to the AK. My M1A loving buddy can keep his $60+ factory M1A mags!
Well, I do have a black Rifle. It's a post-ban (16" bushmaster with iron sites) though *hangs his head in shame*.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:48 PM

Well I guess the definition has expanded to include all military type rifles. In that case I have two more to add. My M1 Garand is my DCM rifle. It's an arsenal rebuild in the early fifties but the reciever is a '43 SA which likely saw action. The other is an H&R replica cavalry trapdoor in .45-70. The 1873 equivalent of the M4 carbine. Single shot but quick to reload and throws a heavy punch. For those unfamiliar the M1 was the standard military rifle from the late thiries until past the Korean war. The Sprinfield is the same type use by the 7th Cavalry at the battle of the Little Big Horn.

Kalashnikov, too bad you can't put a real flash hider on it. The Smith Vortex flash hider is extremely effective.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:51 AM

If guns are (to a guy) an extension of the penis, then I have penis-envy.

No rifles here, except if you count my black, scoped, BB/pellet rifle. <whimper>

I live in a smallish condo, so all I have is two handguns, both Walthers.

- PPK .380 stainless steel American-made
- P99 9mm black/tennifer German-made

And no, I'm not particularly a James Bond fan and that's NOT why I have the guns that James Bond used/uses.

I've got two factory 17 round mags for the P-99. They're not preban, but they're somehow legal even though the P-99 wasn't sold in the U.S. until after the ban. I'd like to get the laser-sight specificly made for the P-99, but they are way to expensive.

So, do I qualify as a junior member?
Old 10-08-2002, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by voltaire

I've got two factory 17 round mags for the P-99. They're not preban, but they're somehow legal even though the P-99 wasn't sold in the U.S. until after the ban. I'd like to get the laser-sight specificly made for the P-99, but they are way to expensive.

Any magazine made after 1994 is post ban and illegal (except to first class citizens). It's possible that your magazines were made before 1994 and imported after - that's perfectly legal.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:44 AM

Padeye - good to hear you have a DCM rifle. Did you go through the qualification process when it was still available? I helped a bunch of folks get their Garands with this method. IIRC, the cost of the rifle was $165 at that time. It is, as Patton said, "The greatest battle tool ever devised." or something like that. It is pretty heavy, but the "ol' thumb buster" shoots an effective round and can be very accurate. I remember qualifying with this piece a long time ago, and I don't recall any evidence of "maggie's drawers" from the butts. 'Course, my eyes were a little younger then, and I could actually SEE the bull at 300 meters.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:11 AM

CMP still sells rifles, in fact you can buy one per calendar year not just one in your lifetime as before. They've got Danish issue rifles that you can potentnially get two or three per year if you want and they even sell bare recievers now.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

If you want a real rifle instead of a poodle shooter consider an M1. Own your own piece of the arsenal of democracy.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:44 AM

Oh, so the club now includes real military rifles and not just those toy plastic .22s? I guess since you'll allow people to join with manly rifles like the M1 Garand (none of this 'recoil pad' nonsense, give me a .30-06 with a steel butt plate) I can join too. I've got one made in march 1944 that I've taken to the range a few times, with a companion 1911 (though that's a modern one). At some point I want to get an M1 carbine and an actual wartime 1911 to set it off, though that's off in the future a bit.

Although I like yanking the chain of the AR crowd, I am thinking about getting an AR-15 for highpower rifle competitions at some point (probably a Bushmaster, though Fulton Armory's wares are tempting, if a bit steeper in price). And I do feel for you Californians, since you can't get one unless you had it before the ban or store it out of state (which makes shooting just a bit inconvenient).
Old 10-08-2002, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Riboflavin: Except for a couple of controlled ranges I've heard of, there's hardly a place to shoot in So. Cal. There was one up in the Angeles National Forest, but it was closed down years ago. When I shoot, I like to do it at my own pace at my own targets. I don't like having to pay someone for the priviledge. The outdoor ranges are a bit far to go, and the indoor ones won't allow me to shoot mu black powder revolvers.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:45 PM

Major gloat time here. Seriously, I feel for the guys who live in the PRK and other less free states. Maybe we should host a Phoenix Doper Scheutzenfest one of these days. There are three major outdoor ranges in and around Phoenix and the winter weather is nice. I personally favor Phoenix Rod & Gun but amd getting back to monthly cowboy action shooting with my club at the Ben Avery Range. Rio Salado hosts a submachinegun match four times a year and a generous friend with lots of cool toys loans me a "spare" machinegun so I can shoot that match with him.

Riboflavin, do you mean regular NRA high power or for service rifle where it has to look like a military issue M-16 as much as legally possible?