How do I avoid getting spied on at work?

At the risk of sounding like a paranoid freak, lets just say I have had some past experience with people monitoring my personal email at work.

I maaaaayyyy have been doing some IMing and emailing from my hotmail account recently at my current job about my new job. Problem is that I have not informed current employer that I will be leaving (hey! I need the money until the new job)

So my question is - how do I make sure that all trace of my personal emails and IMs are off my 'puter? Permanently!

and please spare me the lectures about how I shouldn’t be writing personal emails on company time yada yada yada. Where are you right now? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: :smiley:

Some companies allow you to write emails and read the web on company time. I think you’ll find the mods here frown on helping you hide your activities from your employer.

Let me clarify - my employer does allow email and surfing, in moderation. Its just that we have a real freak of an IT person who I suspect would read all emails and IM’s from a few of us “special ladies” around here. I simply want to prevent him specifically from getting his hot little paws on said pieces of personal information.

and again, please spare me the lectures. I know, I know, I just should not have done it!

If you have to know, I’m at home.

Is the IT person a supervisor of yours? Depending on your company’s policies on the matter, your employer may have the right to secure and read your correspondence. It’s probably technically not even “your” computer, and if you delete stuff from it or make modifications, you may be acting in violation of your company’s policies.

I’m not working now, and I have no experience with company computer use policies, so I may be totally off, and you may choose to disregard me. But you might want to think about it, because it may be important.

As an IT guy, I can tell you. 99 times out of 100 employee paranoia is unfounded. Frankly, we just don’t have that kind of time. Do it on Monday mornings. I haven’t had a quiet Monday morning in 4 years.

I also work in IT. Basically, things get read or scrutinized (emails websites etc) when a problem arises such as illegal activity or virii etc. If your company is of at least a semi-large size, dont worry. Its way too time consuming to snoop on peoples messages.

Tracers,

I’m sorry, but we cannot help you defeat the IT department’s ability to monitor the company’s computers.

This is closed.

DrMatrix - General Questions Moderator