The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 10-14-2002, 06:13 AM

Multiple Orgasms: Myth Or Wishful Thinking?

I'm a little shy about asking this question, but I think this is the best place to ask.

Why is it that women always brag about this to men? Does it actually happen to any of you women? I think it is just something some women like to gloat about (false or not) to men since men are always gloating about being able to pee standing up.

I don't know, once I reach the O, there is no way I could even think about having another in quick succession. I don't think I could even try, physically, even if I wanted to. I'd have to wait at least half an hour to be "reloaded"...and by that time, he'd be lucky if I'm still awake.

Forgive me for breaching the sisterhood and revealing our secret to men, but personally, this multiple thing is bullshit.

Any naysayers?
Advertisements  
Old 10-14-2002, 06:39 AM

My ex girlfriend had multiple orgasms nearly every time we had sex. Once we did it and she couldn't take it because it was like she was trapped in one long O. Too much of a good thing I guess.

She musta loved sex though because she cheatd on me on a regular basis, hence EX-gf.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I have been with women who have had multiple orgasms with me. I won't go into detail, but yes; I know they were real.

'Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man.' -- Lu-Tze
Old 10-14-2002, 06:45 AM

Ok, another question: how do you guys know they aren't faking?Some women are pretty good at this. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but it could be to make the partner feel that they are excellent in bed.

*umnoIhaveneverdonethisever*
Old 10-14-2002, 06:51 AM

Well, I figure I'll stick up for the female gender here. I've had them--they happen every so often, maybe once or month or so. It's not like I concentrate on having another orgasm; it kind of just happens. Maybe another female can explain this more eloquently, but for me, they're definitely real.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, another question: how do you guys know they aren't faking?
I said I wasn't going to go into detail, but one woman in particular had very wet orgasms.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny L.A.

I said I wasn't going to go into detail, but one woman in particular had very wet orgasms.

ditto
Old 10-14-2002, 07:31 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

They are real. Very real. I've had them (up to 4 at a time, which was amazing for me), and I've given them (up to 15 at a time). In fact, my record is 50 given in 24 hours...
Old 10-14-2002, 07:40 AM

Quote:

I knew you were going to say that.

However, I do know of a few men who boasted that they could "tell", when they had no clue that many "indicators" could be very well faked...and the wetness...well, a byproduct of the previous moments. They had no clue that it wasn't what they thought it was.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:54 AM

They're very real for me. I have multiples every time my husband and I have sex; several in one session aren't uncommon, and I think my high was around 50 in one extended session many years ago. I don't know how/if he can tell they're real, I haven't thought to question him.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:57 AM

When you say "a time" or "a session"...elaborate. Is it 1 minute apart? 4 minutes apart? Or 2 hours apart?
Old 10-14-2002, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
However, I do know of a few men who boasted that they could "tell", when they had no clue that many "indicators" could be very well faked...and the wetness...well, a byproduct of the previous moments. They had no clue that it wasn't what they thought it was.
Even when it's gushing in spurts?
Old 10-14-2002, 08:00 AM

That particular lengthy session lasted somewhere between an hour and two hours I think, so there were some extended slow periods where it didn't happen. It's been a decade, afraid I don't have any timekeeping records from then.

Normally, anywhere from maybe 10 seconds to a minute or two apart perhaps?
Old 10-14-2002, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Even when it's gushing in spurts?
I suppose every woman is different, not every woman is "gushing" with joy during the Big O (forgive my pun! ).

Forrgive my opinion, but I think there are a lot of men out there who get hoodwinked.

Thanks, Denise. I think I am just happy with the big KA-BOOM.! once, then I can go to sleep.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:34 AM

Trust me multiple orgasms are definately real. My ex GF would have them nearly every time. The screams would be so loud she would ask me to partly cover her mouth so poeple next door wouldn't think someone was being murdered! One time she was in tears at the end. I was really concerned but she was OK, but it took a while to recover.

I will say that I never had quite the same affect on other GFs, but I don't really know what factors contribute to this.

She did try to describe what it felt like it to me once, but I guess its one of those things you need to experience first hand to understand.

I hope some other guys can empathise with this, as I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:47 AM

Yah, I also had a GF long ago who had many multiples routinely. She said she couldn't usually count them, they tended to just roll together one after another. One time she estimated she'd had 15-20 in a row.

As for faking: why? To impress me? Heck, I was waiting for her to finish so I could get off -- 20-40 minutes of watching her have the Big O was certainly flattering, but after the first 20 minutes of orgasm it got fairly frustrating not being able to join in for fear of ruining her good time (she didn't get multiples from manual/oral manipulation, just from intercourse; go figure). Not that I'm complaining: it certainly beats having an unresponsive or unsatisfied partner.

MrsSqueegee has herself reported multiple O's (2-4) from time to time, but there seems to be no pattern or trigger. It just happens if it happens.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LolaBaby
how do you guys know they aren't faking?
I'm still struggling to convince myself that anyone besides myself has any inner life whatsoever.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:06 AM

They are definitely real. I have them about 80% of the time. No, really.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:10 AM

Depending on what we are doing, I can average between 8-15 in about an hour.
Mmmmmm, orgasms.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:14 AM

Found a link with some interesting info... myths debunked and suchlike:

http://test.bagus.org/sex/women/anat.../multiple.html
Old 10-14-2002, 12:51 PM

Males can also have multiple orgasms as well.

In the right situation I am able to have 3 - 4 orgasms (usually no more than that from the same erection.

The first and second orgasms are pretty standard (ie semen is produced) but the third and fourth produce no semen, but still give me the intense feeling that the first two produced.

I don’t know of any trick how to do it, for me its just state of mind and knowing my body very well (my teenage years came in handy

A quick little question to any males in this thread - Has anyone ever managed to ejaculate without being erect?

I know I have on one occasion and I just wanted to see if anybody else has as I haven't heard about it before.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mangetout
I'm still struggling to convince myself that anyone besides myself has any inner life whatsoever.
What does this mean?

Thank you, samarm. Quite enlightening. I

...and a BBS dedicated to women's orgasms? Wow!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:16 PM

I'm not much given to wishful thinking, so I'll remain confident that all those multiple orgasms of mine were real.

Quote:
once I reach the O, there is no way I could even think about having another in quick succession.
Multiple = more than one; not "in quick succession."
Old 10-14-2002, 01:49 PM

Quote:

How do you know she wasn't just peeing on you?

I've had women that I've slept with claim that they've had multiple orgasms. However, since I've no way to climb into their heads and feel my prodigious manhood stoking them to multiple ecstasies, I've also no way of proving it was true.

Besides, it bolstered my ego, making me feel manly and really good at sex, so I don't want to know if it wasn't true.

I did have one friend who was a girl who was not sexually interested in me in the least (I know it's shocking, but true) who claimed that she often had multiple orgasms with her boyfriend. So I guess I'm thinking that the multiple O is neither myth nor wishful thinking. From what I understand, it isn't universal among all women.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

They are real! I used to think it "hurt" to continue to have it touched, until I started staying with it (albeit softly.) I can only get off orally the first time(s), and if he stays with it I might come 2-3 more times. I generally come 1 or 2 more times from intercourse if it's pretty much immediately after oral. I can be ready again in an hour or so---but they will be much smaller orgasms...
Old 10-14-2002, 02:01 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by xcheopis

Multiple = more than one; not "in quick succession."
Um, Denise said:
"Normally, anywhere from maybe 10 seconds to a minute or two apart perhaps?"

That, xcheopis, is in quick succession for me. I'm talking about having a nice two, three, maybe even four hour nap in between mine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Siddhartha Vicious

I've had women that I've slept with claim that they've had multiple orgasms. However, since I've no way to climb into their heads and feel my prodigious manhood stoking them to multiple ecstasies, I've also no way of proving it was true.
Exactly. Don't be patting yerselves on the back just yet.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:21 PM

And that means that, (brace yourself), individuals have different physiological responses. The fact that you need to rest in between doesn't = "I had only one orgasm." The fact that Denise has orgasms within seconds of each other doesn't = "this is the only possible definition of multiple orgasms".

Really, it pretty insulting to assume that because you don't experience orgasms the same way as others must mean everyone else is delusional or a liar. After all, I have never in my life had cramps or violent mood swings associated with my mentrual cycle but I do not assume that women who say they experience those things are either faking it or in need of psychiatric evaluation.

And the reason I don't make that assumption is because I am smart enough to know that individuals have different physiological responses.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:50 PM

Duh.

I did say that samarm's link was enlightening for me. And I didn't say you multiples were lying. Where the hell did you get that?

I was referring to men not really having any proof that some women fake it, multiple or not.

Really, if you are that smart enough, you would have understood that.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:55 PM

It's probably from your thread title "Myth or Wishful Thinking."

I mean, there's more than those two choices, which you seem to acknowledge.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:02 PM

Yeah, but if she'd bother to read the thread, or at least understand it, most people will see it's lighthearted enough and that I have acknowledged several people on their multiples. My explanation to her about Denise's multiples were an acknowledgement that she was different from me. Does that have to be explained?

After all, isn't this the place to battle ignorance?

Now, before any of this goes to the Pit:

It was meant to be semi-lighthearted. Lighten up.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:07 PM

Siddhartha Vicious is correct.

"Myth or Wishful Thinking" So... our choices are "it doesn't exist" or "it doesn't exist." Which implies that any woman claiming to have experienced multiple orgasmis is either delusional or a liar. Because, according to your OP, mulitple orgasms simply don't exist.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

The people I have been with go into fast-cycle all-over muscular contractions almost like seizures during orgasm. Most of the faking I've encountered has been moaning and screaming.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AHunter3
The people I have been with go into fast-cycle all-over muscular contractions almost like seizures during orgasm. Most of the faking I've encountered has been moaning and screaming.
Yup.

I have had multiples a couple of times. Not that I'm quiet, but there's no way for me to fake the muscular contractions. . . I don't get near 'seizures' from them, and the muscular contractions are mostly from my er, waist on down, tho'.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:23 PM

"Wishful Thinking"--could mean: "Damn, how come I don't experience that?"

Again-- xcheopis...lighten up.

If I wanted bitching I'd have posted this in the Pit. Obviously I didn't.

It was intended to be lighthearted enough so that I didn't think it should go into GQ.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:28 PM

I call 'em "uncountably many orgasms" and I have 'em almost all of the time. Well, not sitting here at my desk, but you know what I mean.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessica2

Yup.

I have had multiples a couple of times. Not that I'm quiet, but there's no way for me to fake the muscular contractions. . . I don't get near 'seizures' from them, and the muscular contractions are mostly from my er, waist on down, tho'.
You can actually practice this by exercising your muscles down there...I think it's called Kegel exercises. Do it enough and you can get pretty talented down there.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:35 PM

Quote:

You can actually practice this by exercising your muscles down there...I think it's called Kegel exercises. Do it enough and you can get pretty talented down there.
Hm. . . The muscle contractions I get are uncontrollable, they usually happen *really* quickly. . . I dunno how to describe this. I know what Kegel exercises are, tho', that's not what I'm talking about.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:38 PM

Perhaps because I practice them a lot, those muscles are the ones experiencing all the action when I do "get there".

Ok, this is getting too TMI-ish.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, it's Johnny, El Lay.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:21 PM

Quote:
They are real! I used to think it "hurt" to continue to have it touched, until I started staying with it (albeit softly.)
I used to the same way! For like 3 years, I would say "oooh, stop, stop, don't touch me, don't touch me." then one day he just didn't listen to me, thank God.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:43 PM

Never had 'em. Don't know if I can. Don't know that I CAN'T, but I've yet to see any evidence that I can.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:16 PM

Get the book entitled The E S O (Extended Sexual Orgasm) Ecstasy Program: Better, Safer Sexual Intimacy and Extended Orgasmic Response by Alan Brauer, Donna Brauer & Richard Rhodes.

It's a 12 week program you and your lover do to get into this orgasmic, non-tantra, plane. It works better for the ladies than it did for me (guy). Even if neither of you learn to have hour-long orgasms from the prgram, what's the harm in practicing?
Old 10-14-2002, 06:33 PM

perhaps TMI..... censor yourself if needed

Yeah. When I'm with someone else, I can only stand 2-3... but if I use my super duper extra powerful massager (yes back massager, not littl vibrator toy)....... it's a little different

Just last night I had 9 in under 2 minutes.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What does this mean?
Just a not very relevant attempt at a witcrack regarding whether it is possible to know if someone is faking or not.

Quote:
Originally posted by INSANE1
A quick little question to any males in this thread - Has anyone ever managed to ejaculate without being erect?
Ummm, gosh this is embarrassing, you won't mention it to anyo, will you?
Yes; when I had to 'produce a sample' on two occasions following my vasectomy; the sample had to be at the path lab within an hour of...um...well, anyway, I lived about 45 minutes away(optimally) and the time slot was during the morning rush hour; there was nothing else for it but to 'produce the samples' in the gents' toilet at the hospital; the lock on the cublicle door was broken and I had to keep it shut with my foot; anyway, the net effect of the whole thing was as you describe.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:53 AM
BANNED

LolaBaby, first, in my opinion there are women who have 'many orgasms (or more than one)', that's when a woman has one orgasm, then a few minutes later, another one, then maybe another one. Second, there are 'multiple orgasms', that's when a woman has one orgasm, but stays on the plateau without dropping down & has another orgasm. You know, like say, 1,2,3 Vs. 1-2

Which one would you be talking about?

Also, men can have both of those too...don't ask how I know these things & no, I don't give lessons (vbg)
Old 10-15-2002, 11:32 AM

Maybe I should start another thread for this, but this is directed to the women.

Why fake an orgasm? I mean, I can understand an occasional faked orgasm if you really just want to get it over and you're only doing him a favor, but if you are faking them a lot aren't you making him think he's doing a good job when he's not? He has no incentive to try harder, right?
Old 02-24-2003, 10:25 PM

My ex was very good at causing multiple orgasms in me... I think the record was over 50 in under 30 minutes. I'm still a little baffled as to how he managed it, but let's just say sex sessions with him often ended with me telling him to just come and leave me alone before I passed out from pleasure.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Friend told me the secret to faking an orgasm well is to have a full bladder and let out a squirt of pee.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:45 AM

I've never had multiple orgasms, but I would like to try. My favorite part is right before I orgasm - when I know it's going to happen. Sometimes this part lasts a really long time, and that's what I like the best. I'm just wondering if, with multiple orgasms, you still get that "almost there" feeling.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Not that talented. I've felt both Kegel movements and orgasms -- they are completely different sensations. Kegel is certainly interesting and quite nice. Orgasm contractions are located higher up and are more subtle and complex. When you've sampled a lot of wines and paid full attention to the kaleidoscope of flavors, only then you can truly tell the difference between an average quality wine and a 5-star vintage. Learning from a quiet partner helps too -- you can concentrate your attention and feel everything.

I've had multiples three times in my life. Surprised the heck out of me the first time because I was told that men don't get them.