The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-19-2002, 10:59 AM

Highest paying jobs with littlest social interaction?

I'm not really asking for advice on what you think I should do for a career. I want to know what kind of jobs there are that have a high salary, but are also well-suited for anti-socials (such as myself).

I don't have any problem dealing with co-workers and superiors, I'm just not interested in having a job where I have to deal with external vendors or customers. While I can certainly do all that very well, I just don't want to. I also don't want to have to represent a team or department in any kind of meetings, just myself.

So, any suggestions on what jobs there are out there like this? Something that pays well and is well-suited for introverts? Something low on the corporate food chain, but still high-salary?
Advertisements  
Old 10-19-2002, 11:50 AM

Almost any hardcore technical job will meet your low interaction specs but unless you are some genius level inventor the bigger bucks generally go those who can schmooze with others and communicate their ideas effectively. Unless you are super, super, super good at something to point of being indispensible, high pay and low social interaction are not variables that usually march together. The hermits with fortunes stories you see are generally people that died after a long lifetime of investing (conservatively) in the stock market.

An experienced merchant marine office or captain males good cheese but it takes a while to climb the ladder and the work is difficult and physically demanding.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:51 AM

"marine officer or captain makes"
Old 10-19-2002, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Become a software architect. Not an application programmer: a guru who really knows his way around the guts of an operating system, can debug anyway, reads assembler like it's a novel, etc.

Such people can get away with amazing social flaws. They're like the crazy cousins in the company. And they make huge bucks - often they make more money than the people managing them.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

er, that should be, "can debug anyTHING".

Oh, and get yourself some hiking boots and a flat of coke. Part of the uniform.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:34 PM

Become a coroner.

There's no back-talk from your patients.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:35 PM
BANNED

Many of the attorneys who work in so-called "BIGLAW" firms have very little interaction with people outside their immediate circle. And they make lots of money.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:21 PM

Lots of people are only going to have interaction with their co-workers and management - but it depends on which company you work for. Lots of technical roles require no customer or vendor interaction, but plenty do. Lots of corporate finance people would never deal with customers as well. Most engineers won't deal with customers directly. These jobs all pay well...you ought to start with what you are good at and where your interests lie and then find a specialization or field where you can be insulate.

Incidentally, software architect is hardly synonymous with "hacker-guru" - most architects I know can't even read C much less assembler. Architecture has more to do with mapping software components to distributed hardware systems and other high-level design tasks. If you know a "hacker-guru" with the title "Architect", its probably because that was the only way management could justify their salary to personnel...its hard for many people to understand why you need "hacker-gurus" and how rare they are.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:22 PM

Aside from those already mentioned, I'd guess at successful writer / artist?
Old 10-19-2002, 01:27 PM
BANNED

Actuary
Old 10-19-2002, 03:07 PM

I second a coroner.

Customers and vendors are non-existant, and co-workers and supervisors are minimal. You'll just get the occasional cop who questions you regarding a murder.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:42 PM

I sure hope coroners don't have vendors!
Old 10-19-2002, 04:04 PM

I sure hope coroners don't have vendors!
Old 10-19-2002, 04:07 PM

See, I was so shocked I double posted!
Old 10-19-2002, 05:27 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Doesn't a coroner have to interact with the family of the deceased?
Old 10-19-2002, 05:34 PM

Depends on where the coroner is located.

They may or may not have to deal with the family.. he can always make is examination and leave the staff deal with families claiming the bodies.

although autopsies in regards to victims of crime may force him to give testamony in a court.

Do they still have lighhouse attendants? I figured with computerization and what not.. people were not required for that.
That would sure be quiet.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:40 PM

Hitman.
Nature photographer.
Electrical lineman.
Professional researcher.
Janitor.
Artist.
Cowboy.
Shepherd.
Professional sperm donor.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:17 PM

I think two options would work for you:

1) Inventer. If you stay inside a room for a few years and just think about new inventions, you're bound to come up with something that'll make you a good amount of money.

2) Get your M.D/PhD degree and become a research medical doctor. This is what I plan to do. The salary is at least $150,000. Live at poverty level and invest all your extra money. This allows you to invest $135,000 in the stock market per year. You're guaranteed to become a multiple millionaire in a decade.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:25 PM

Hate to rain on your parade there aeropl but there are these things called.....taxes

Dave You might think about being a CPA or librarian...
Old 10-19-2002, 09:44 PM

Quote:
originally posted by december
Actuary
I've herd that those guys make some serious money.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

There was a advertisment for a professional hermit a couple of months back in Britan. Cant do better than that.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yojimboguy
Hitman.
[hijack]

How does one become a "hit" man anyway? Is it one of those jobs where you had to know someone who was on the "inside"? Or could you just roam around around until you found a person likely in need of your services? (I.e., divorce, bad partnership, etc)

Not that I'm in the market, but with this economy you can never tell.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spit
Or could you just roam around around until you found a person likely in need of your services? (I.e., divorce, bad partnership, etc)
I think you'd advertise. All you need is a catchphrase and a gun. Try an old standby...

"Dirty deeds... done dirt cheap!"
Old 10-20-2002, 05:32 AM

Forensic examiner. Not necessarily people who cut open dead bodies but people who look for physical evidences at crime scenes.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:35 AM

Professional game player.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How does one become a "hit" man anyway? Is it one of those jobs where you had to know someone who was on the "inside"? Or could you just roam around around until you found a person likely in need of your services? (I.e., divorce, bad partnership, etc)
Let's discuss your rates, my ex-wife, etc., etc.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:35 PM

I agree with Sam Stone. Say no more.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

OTR truck driver.

Some make great pay, especially if you're hauling explosives, toxics or radioactives.

Some routes you spend virtually all day alone in the cab.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aeropl
I think two options would work for you:

1) Inventer. If you stay inside a room for a few years and just think about new inventions, you're bound to come up with something that'll make you a good amount of money.

2) Get your M.D/PhD degree and (edit) invest $135,000 in the stock market per year. You're guaranteed to become a multiple millionaire in a decade.
Ummmm, did you happen to miss the last 2 years? Besides, even mud-phuds have to scrounge for their income these days. Ever write a grant proposal? shudder
Old 10-20-2002, 05:59 PM

Most writers do a lot of PR work and go on the road doing promotion. It's not a particularly solitary way of life any more.. The actual writing is but what goes with it involves a lot of people contact.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:32 PM

Radiologist, pathologist, accountant, tax lawyer.