Your Favorite "Time Travel" Novel?

With me I guess it all started with The Time Machine and then evolved (de-volved?) from there.

I loved the film Somewhere In Time, and it is one of my most prized videos, but I digress…

I’m being a bit selfish, here, but what I really want y’all to do is to recommend some time travel stories I might not have read yet.

I am especially fond of the ones that take the reader to 18th or 19th century New York or London.

And I love references to the Flatiron Building! :smiley:
Quasi

Millennium by John Varley. I need to dig my copy out again and re-read it. It’s absolutely amazing. Check out the chapter titles…

The End of Eternity (I think that’s the title) by Isaac Asimov

The Heinlein people need to help me out on this one.

A short story, Somewhere In Time (???) A professor had his students listen to some sort of recording and they vanished into some sort of alternate universe/ other time. One student became an angel, a couple became some sort of ultra-future queen and king warriors…

Not really time travel per se, but still a fascinating story.

Plot twist spoiled on next one:

There was also another one, title a complete blank, where a “time viewer,” “chronoscope” was invented and lied about, because it didn’t allow viewing distant past, but only recent past. However, it allowed a viewer to see anywhere. Setting it at say, one second in the past, allowed a viewer to spy on anyone in almost real time, thus ending forever any sort of privacy.

I would love to reread either of these stories, if I could just find the real titles. So, Heinlein experts… ideas?

Not really a hijack. These are great time travel type stories that you might enjoy, Quasi.

RIF!

It’s out of print, but if you can find it, I highly recommend The Ivanhoe Gambit by Simon Hawke. It’s the first book in the “Time Wars Adventure Series” which was up to 8 or 9 books I think, before Hawke quit writing them. I quit reading them after about the third or four book since he killed Lucas Priest who was the main character up until that point.

Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon.

A romance time travel story.

Trust me.

Jack Finney is the man for you. Time and Again is about a man who goes back to NYC in the 1880s, and has the added bonus of being illustrated with nifty period reproductions. Finney does a great job of combining the mystery plot elements with fascinating little tidbts about the differences in day-to-day life that surprise the time traveller. The sequel, From Time to Time is also pretty decent, although the plot is a little more stereotypical.

My favorite though is his book of short stories, About Time. Most of the stories are witty and light, a few are insightful, one of them was heartbreaking.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned:

“A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court”
All time best time travel novel.

IMHO.

D.

Another vote for Time and Again.

“Allow me, Sir.”

I’m partial to Octavia Butler’s book Kindred. It’s about a modern black woman who finds herself whisked back to slaveholding times. Very good read & very thought provoking.

I’d have to say my favorite is Connecticut Yankee, though Stephen Fry’s Making History wasn’t bad, it just had a bad ending.

Oh yeah!! I second that! :smiley:

I cannot recommend Outlander, or the entire Outlander series for that matter, highly enough.
Amazing books.

You also might want to check out The Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis.
Time-travel in the time of the plague.

I just recently finished Pastwatch: The redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card. It was an interesting read.

One thing about the Outlander series - they are definitely written from a woman’s point of view. I enjoyed them, but I can only think of one male friend who did.

“Elsewhen” which can be found inthe collection Assignment in Eternity. It’s a fun llittle story, but for Heinlein’s two best time travel stories, try “By His Bootstraps” and “All You Zombies”. One can be found in The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathon Hoag and the other…erm…in one of his other collections (The Menace from Earth?)

It’s not Heinlein, it’s Asimov: “The Dead Past” available in a billion collections (and the last line is NOT “Happy Goldfish Bowl” or “Welcome to the Goldfish Bowl.”. But everyone misremembers, 'cause it should be.
Laumer’s Dinosaur Beach is another classic of time travel.

Fenris

(Erm…but it’s awful damned close. I have no idea what I was thinking when I typed that.)

And, for a funnier Connie Willis time travel story in the same “world”, read “To Say Nothing of the Dog”.

Another vote for Jack Finney’s books. His are some of the few books that I keep after reading.

That sounds like THE LIGHT OF OTHER DAYS

The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter.

I liked Tim Powers’ The Anubis Gates, especially the code for identifying other time travellers in 18th centruy England (whistling McCartney’s “Yesterday”.)

Fenris is, of course, correct. Heinlein’s “By His Bootstraps” and “All You Zombies” are required reading.

I also love his “The Door Into Summer” - another time travel paradoxer, this time a full novel (the other two are Novellas?". It was written when RAH was at the peak of his storytelling powers.

Great Stuff!

Thanks Fenris, those are they.

Another vote for Orson Scott Card’s Pastwatch: The Redemption Of Christopher Columbus a very unique take on time paradoxes (paradi?)