**Microwave Popcorn: Can I Pack It In My Germany Luggage?

My Uncle in East Germany (who has visited me only once) loves our microwave popcorn and wishes that I bring some with me when I come to visit in ten days. Can I pack this legally in my stow-luggage?

I haven’t travelled to or from Germany since 9.11, sorry! Before then it was never a problem, but who knows now?

In any other circumstance, this might seem a stupid question, but this is a Christmas situation and I do not want to disappoint my uncle who has such a simple wish.

Can Y’all help ?

:smiley:
Thanks
Quasi

Shouldn’t be a problem.

You may fair better if you pack the individually-sealed packets in your baggage as individual items rather than the entire box. That way you can pack them in every nooky and rany.

I suggest you pack it on top so that when it sets off the beeper, you can get it out fast and show everybody that it’s just popcorn, not a packet of plastic explosive.

I’d pack it on your check baggage as it won’t hold you up at security, but more importantly, it doesn’t take up space on your carry-on. Then again, you could always ship it to him.

There’s this German film called Sonnenalle where the West Berlin uncle smuggles in things that you could’ve brought in legally anyway, like underwear. Then he died and his sister went across into West Berlin for the funeral, where he was creamated and then she smuggled him back into East Berlin masquerading as coffee, except that you could legally bring in coffee as well, and probably dead relatives ashes.

Point, none really, other than your post reminded me of this movie.

Seriously now, I often fly with packets of tortillas and jars of salsa in my checked baggage. I go to college a long way away from home and the tortillas and salsa available in Pennsylvania are awful. Anyway, I have yet to have a problem with jars. I can’t imagine that anything would happen to popcorn or that the screeners would have a problem with it.

Thanks, Y’all!

I’ll just pack the MV popcorn in my stow-away luggage with no worries.

After all, what are they gonna accuse me of?

Your turn… what could they accuse me of? (Terroristic noises?) :smiley:

PS:Asterion, if you are still following this thread: Where can I find this movie in the States?

Thanks
Quasi

Do they not have microwave popcorn in Germany?:confused:

Call the airport and ask about packing popcorn.
I’d even think about shipping it. Maybe a box from time to time.

You know the bag just has a piece of foil in the bottom that gets hot and heats the oil and pops the corn. It can be reused actually, take an old bag, put a bit of butter flavored Crisco and some corn in it, roll up the end, tape it shut and pop away.

I even made a bag when I didn’t have any. (it helps to fold the bag to center so it will expand as it heats up)

I’d just like to doubly emphasize something here. Tape the bag shut. Do not staple. Electrical arcs with form at the points of the staple, which can lead to the bag catching on fire.

You know, I am not recommending anyone do this, okay. I’ve never had a problem (I did burn a batch once) but the stuff’s cheap enough here. I wouldn’t know about Germany, it may be practical there (provided there are microwaves available).:wink:

Quasimodem, I don’t think it’s available in the US. The version I saw was my German professor’s copy, in PAL VHS and in the original German. So basically, she picked it up in Germany. You’ll probably have to look into importing.

Actually, you can get microwave popcorn here. Just go to Wal Mart. No joke. Wal Mart is all over (at least in the west.) Of course, if you like some kind of exotic flavor stuff you’ll have to bring it. Youcan get plain for sure, and butter and salt flavor. There’s probably butter and sugar to be had. I don’t pay a lot of attention to the microwave stuff. I like to make popcorn in a big pot on the stove.
You might also want to teach your uncle how to make popcorn on the stove. I find that Germans don’t generally realize that you can do it that way. They are all under the impression that you need a big machine like you see at the movies or at fairs. Go ahead. Blow his mind and make popcorn in a pot. Popcorn kernels are available in most grocery store chains, usually in the exotic foods section along with the soy sauce, nasty tasting tortillas, and tobasco sauce.
BTW:
Where abouts will you be traveling, and when?

I prefer hot air popped popcorn as it is lighter (physically), it’s not as soggy, and it contains 0 fat.

Sonnenallee (1999)

Google Search

Wouldn’t it be funny (well, maybe not for Quasimodem) if they used some sort of high-powered microwave device to scan the luggage and it caused all the popcorn to start popping in the luggage? Heheheh

Not that I think it’s possible, it would just be funny… OK, at least it would be sitcom-funny…

Plus it’s got that delicious rice cake flavor…mmm-mmm…:wink:

I like Orville Reddenegger’sSwartzenbacher Rednecker or whatever the hell his name is…movie theater corn w/pour over butter and/or cheese w/ lots of salt…and a BIG ice cold coke.

I mean if you’re gonna enjoy, then do it right!

Why not bring him one of each kind? Plain, butter, butterlicious, blast-o-butter, kettle corn (my recent favorite), and caramel corn.

Now if only they had microwave cheese corn…

They do I’m telling ya’ Orville makes a microwave cheddar flavored popcorn, plus it has a pouch of buttery cheese w/ it…it’s too good!

Oh, it would be hilarious! Thanks for everyone’s suggestions, and Asterion thanks for the links. Yes, they do have microwave popcorn over there, but my uncle is partial to Orville’s various flavors, and I have already procured several varieties.

BTW: My uncle lives in what used to be known as East Germany (city called Zeitz), but I will be travelling to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and they are going to meet me there.

Thanks

Quasi

This thread reminds me of the one time I had popcorn in Germany.

My family where visiting an amusement park called Hansaland - I noticed a shop selling popcorn and annoyed my father untill he would buy some for me. I can not describe the horribly wrongness I felt when I realised they had added sugar to them instead of salt. Here in Denmark you can’t easily get them with anything but salt and it never crossed my mind that someone would even dream of putting sugar on them.

I know, blinx. I hope that by now the theatres in Germany are seling salted popcorn, because I sure would like to enjoy The Two Towers with a bag of it while I’m over there.

Quasi