Belly Button Lint: Cecil Scooped: Aussie Wins Ig™Nobel Prize

Poor Cecil. When he answered the question on Belly Button Lint 29 years ago, he fluffed it away with an off-hand answer. He little knew that if he persevered in the topic, like this Aussie guy, he could have won a prestigous Ig™Nobel Award from Harvard.

The Aussie guy really went to town, carrying out a survey over the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. He garnered considerable anecdotal evidence, such as the link between cleaning one’s belly button with a toothbrush and fungal infections of the mouth, as well as learning about the world’s largest collection of belly button lint, 18 years in the making and recognized by Guiness.

For a recent interview with the Ig™Nobel laureate, go here.

If only Cecil had devoted more time to his research and answer, perhaps he would have an Ig™Nobel on his mantelpiece, contributing to his reputation as the World’s Smartest Human. sigh.

Just saving Cecil the time to pop in here and point out that the ignobel wouldn’t exactly contribute to his rep

Now me, I’m still working on the air diet.

Excuse me. The gist of my answer, published in 1973: “Lint from your clothing, cottons especially, adheres to the wet area and remains after the moisture departs.” The Aussie guy’s finding seems to be that being older, hairier, male, and having an “innie” accelerates the transit of clothing lint into the belly button. In other words, he elaborated on my groundbreaking work. I’ve said this before - I’m a big picture guy. I leave it to the grad students to work out the details, win the prizes, etc.

I posted after Cecil!!

“If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants”
– Sir Isaac Newton (wording questionable)

Not to put down my countryman or anything, but he was of course building on the foundation laid by The Great Cecil. That does not diminish his research in any way - the essence of scientific progress is to use the work of the past and further it - but it does mean that Cecil’s groundwork should not be dismissed.

Bad Piper. :wink:

Can’t we lobby for a Life-Time Achievement Ig-Nobel for Cecil?

Mentock has a point. The IgNobel prizes are awarded to people that have performed research that cannot or should not be reproduced. So in effect, Harvard are affirming Cecil’s assertion that the details aren’t worth bothering with.

I posted after the guy that posted after Cecil. :smiley: One degree of separation away from greatness. sigh Always a bridesmaid…

Wow, I read the OP and was going to quote Ike, but you’ve beaten me to it.

“If I have seen farther than others, it is because I have been surrounded by midgets.” - Murray Gell-Mann

Now that quote is more Cecilesque!

[clutching at straws] I’ve met the guy who posted after Cecil a couple of times… [/clutching at straws]

We were having a moment of silence to honor Cecil’s presence but you had to go and ruin it after 24 hours. Hmph!

:wink:

Well, Ike was expressing a nice modest sentiment there, but the fact is that we remember Ike far more than the guys he was standing on. If the analogy holds, doesn’t that suggest the Aussie guy will get more recognition than Cecil in the area of belly button lint? :smiley:

“If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders” - Hal Abelson, professor of Computer Science at MIT:

Dr Karl Kruszelnicki is a reasonably well known scientist in Australia (yes he is a real scientest). Why? Because he imparts knowledge in a way that makes dumb culture take some notice. JJJ for thos who don’t know is a government-owned youth FM radio network. One of those aimed at 15-25 year old kind of deals. Dr K also does road safety messages were he talks about micro-sleeps whilst wearing a loud shirt.
Dr Karl actually went over to accept the award. The point I guess is that even though everyone realises its a fairly unimportant topic (BBL that is) at least it gets science out into the wider community and that has to be a good thing.

Excuse me. I must go vomit now.

I merely report on these advances in human knowledge. Fighting ignorance isn’t always pretty. :o :o :o