Excessive saliva production after eating (TMI?)

Here’s something I’ve been facing a few years as far as I know/can remember. After eating any meal, it seems my saliva glands go into overdrive, and produce far more saliva than is actually necessary. If nobody’s around, the next half hour or so has me making throat-clearing noises. Gross. If people are around, I am able to get by without all this, with one big exception - public speaking. It seems that every time I have to speak it’s after a luncheon of some sort. The way it must appear to others is that I’m getting emotional and “choked-up” during the talk (regardless of the topic) as I try to swallow the offending saliva every few minutes. It’s really quite annoying to me.

Oh, and it becomes ever so entertaining on dates.

Anybody have any idea what may be causing this? I am otherwise healthy, exercise daily, don’t smoke, am in my late 20’s, and eat a “decent” diet.

I will probably just ask the doctor the next time I’m over there, but this doesn’t seem to be a big enough problem to warrant scheduling an appointment. Though, it does seem to be very gradually getting worse.

Thanks.

Do you drink a lot of water? It seems that maybe your water intake is inadequate. Just a WAG.

On a related note, occasionally (more often when I’m sick, but frequently when I can’t find anything else wrong), I’ll hypersalivate for no reason at all. I usually haven’t eaten right beforehand. Any ideas why, or how I can stop it?

Yeah, I salivate a lot all the time… It can be annoying; hell, if my dentist commented on it. Is there a way to reduce this?

Violet, I had thought that my water intake was sufficient, but it does vary. I can always drink more water, though. Why would low water intake be a cause of lots of saliva?

Let me just add that this happens to me (rarely but with some regularity) as well. But massively. As in if I don’t swallow or spit for over 4-5 minutes my cheeks are full and I start to do a fountain impression. As in I can stand over a sink with my mouth open and continuously drool for several minutes. :o

It tastes different (metallic) and is generally accompanied by nausia and followed by a good vomit. Good thing it happens only rarely, especially in the morning.

Try as I may, I’ve not been able to associate it with a higher or lower intake of water, or any specific food. Life’s just weird sometimes.