The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-18-2002, 11:08 PM

Is there any way to lower liver enzymes?

I have had elevated liver enzymes off and on for about 3 years. The most recent showed AST 50 and ALT 109. I was on Paxil for anxiety and still take Xanax as needed for anxiety. I may drink once a year, I quit smoking about 4 months ago, I am about 30 lbs overweight.

Is it the fact that I'm overweight? Does anyone know if Paxil or Xanax can affect the liver? I would appreciate any input. My doctor doesn't seem to be overly concerned, but since this is been going on for about 3 years, it does concern me some. I would appreciate any opinions.

Thank you
Faith
Advertisements  
Old 12-19-2002, 01:11 AM
Creature of the Night

I don't know about Xanax and Paxil, but Tylenol (and its generic equivalents) can really mess up your liver. Nyquil has a significant amount of this ingredient in it, so don't EVERY take Nyquil and Tylenol together.

Paxil is processed through the liver, and I believe that Xanax is as well. You might want to do a Google search on this subject (I'd suggest using Paxil liver as keywords), print out any relevant articles, and take them to your doc. Does your doctor seem to just blow you off about other concerns? Might be time to switch providers.

I am not a doctor or any other sort of medical person, and I have no idea what your test results mean.

I DID have elevated liver enzymes some years ago, but it was related to an oral antidiabetic medicine, so I had my doctor switch it to something else. My liver enzymes are now back to normal, but I DO ask my doctor to keep an eye on them.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:52 AM

You can drink Mucomyst every four hours for a few days.
It smells like rotten eggs so hold your nose.

But really, your enzyme levels aren't that high.

Most medicines, if not all, mess with your liver enzymes because your liver is responsible for clearing them out.
Xanax is a benzodiazepine which is metabolized by the liver into an active metabolite, meaning its actions in your body last a long time and your liver don't get much rest.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Normal ranges are set by basically sampling a representative portion of healthy people. But not every healthy person falls within that particular range, some have a baseline that's normal for them but might be a skooch high when compared to the range that the lab uses.
But as mentioned above, if you're really concerned you can see another Dr.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

First, one must establish why they're elevated. Alcohol, certain drugs, and infections (particularly Hepatitis B or C virus) are the most common culprits. So the best bet is to talk with your doctor, and ask pointed questions like: Is it due to medications? Or a virus? How do you know? Have you checked? Should we check?

Be a pest if you must. Try a different doctor if you're not satisfied with the response.

QtM, MD
Old 12-19-2002, 09:58 PM

There are several liver enzymes. AST and ALT are called transaminases. Other liver enzmes included gamma GT, albumin, amylase and bilirubin.

With several exceptions, patients with elevated AST and ALT (with the other values normal) often have this elevated due to chronic alcoholism (where usually AST is twice ALT), many drugs (Paxil is metabolized in the liver by P450(2D6); Xanax in the kidney and the liver), hepatitis A/B/C, "fatty liver", gallstones, iron overload (hemochromatosis) and Wilson's disease (copper processing problems).

As Qadcop says, this is something which should be followed over time but your levels aren't all that high.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Out of the slimy mud of words
Charter Member

Re: Is there any way to lower liver enzymes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Faith
Is it (due to) the fact that I'm overweight?
Perhaps the most common form of liver disease in North America, so-called nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is strongly associated with obesity. About 20 percent of obese people have a severe form of this problem. Here is a lovely overview of the subject.