The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 01-06-2003, 06:33 PM

Another in a series of child neglect horror stories.

Warning: vile. I mean really, truly vile. "Remove all non-blunt objects from the room" vile.

Link.

Choice quote:

"Raheem told authorities the dead boy was his twin brother Faheem, but a positive identification had not been made because of the body's deteriorated condition, James said. Autopsy results were pending.

""The room was a nightmare, feces, you name it ... vomiting, all the ills that you'd think from two boys ages 7 and 5 having been locked in a room without any care or any treatment," James said. "There's a clear pattern of neglect."

"Sherry Murphy, who was to have been looking after the boys while the mother was in jail, was being sought on child endangerment charges, James said."

This person is not worth the time it would take to compose a rant the strength of ether.
Advertisements  
Old 01-06-2003, 06:45 PM

I thought this was going to be a rant about this case, but apparently it's going around. There was even a vigil outside their church today to support them.

Some people are just so irredeemably fucked up.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:06 PM

Quote:
This person is not worth the time it would take to compose a rant the strength of ether.
That's too bad, because an ether-strength rant might help to numb the pain.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

We just had a trial in Atlanta. Not for the weak of heart:

http://www.gahsc.org/terrell/trial1.html

Poor kids. ANY random stranger would have treated these kids better. Just HAND THEM to someone and run away. They won't have to die like animals, and they'll thank you for it later (not likely).

Fucking brutal and disgusting.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:55 PM

The case linked to in the OP seems like the sort of thing that may have grizzly details forthcoming. I just hope the press and the court can stifle their desire to know too many details, I'm not sure those kids can handle having to relive something like that. Whether the woman ever faces justice is less important now than making sure those kids recover from the trauma and grow into normal young men.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:11 PM

These cases are, to me, the most horrible murders I could hear about. Because they involve a victim who has done nothing wrong and is tortured by the person(s) they trust the most.

Nearly five years ago, one of these kids was far too close to my own home and I still can't understand why it happened. Her father tried to get custody of her. He went through the appropriate legal channels, Washington County Children and Youth Services. They investigated, and nothing was done.

I find it hard to imagine they didn't notice that a 7 year old girl weighed less than 12 pounds. Maybe it's because everyone who should've been looking out for her, everyone but her dad, failed that girl that I remember the name [url=http://www.post-gazette.com/soundscene/pages/20010406montgomery08.asp]Tausha Lanham[/b] after almost 5 years.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:13 PM

And of course, I fuck up the URL.

Tausha Lanham.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:16 AM

These stories are all very horrible and sad. My heart goes out to all those poor children who had to suffer through all that abuse.

It makes me wonder...what on Earth would cause a parent or guardian to abuse innocent children like that? It makes me absolutely sick.

There's a book I've seen on the shelves at bookstores. It's a true story of a child who suffered through horrible neglect and abuse, but managed to survive. I'm not sure, but I think the title is "A Child Called It". Sorry, I don't know of a cite or an author. Has anyone read it?

Just curious.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

On the same subject. . .

Some years ago, there was the case of Lattie McGee. It made a lot of newspapers nationwide. Absolutely horrifying.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/bob/greene111899.asp
Old 01-07-2003, 10:39 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the animals responsible for this kind of abuse deserve to die a slow painful death.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SpasticKitty
It makes me wonder...what on Earth would cause a parent or guardian to abuse innocent children like that?
Not caring.

I wish there were a different answer, but in many cases the parent or guardian simply doesn't care.

Then there are the cases where the parent says "This ss my child, so I will raise him/her/it however I like". And you get some remarkable displays of "Holy Hell, I didn't think that was possible".

There isn't enough you can do for these kids.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

These people aren't animals.

Most animals take care of their young, and many will even fight to the death to protect them.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:50 AM

It has to be more than not caring to inflict horrible abuse like that. There's a lot of people and things I don't care for in this world but you don't see me doing anything like that. No, it's more than not caring, it's evil concentrated.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:41 PM
BANNED

When I read this story (the Newark one) in the paper last night, I had to seriously rethink my hard-core stance on reporting child neglect, especially on a suspicion alone. If someone in this case had been aware of something being not quite right, it could have saved that little boy's life, and saved his two brothers a load of horror. But, I think in this case, no one could have possibly even suspected anything. According to the NYTimes, neighbors did not even know that children "lived" (if you can call it that) in that house, and they weren't enrolled in school at all. Very sad.

On another note, SpasticKitty, the book you mention (the author is one Dave Pelzer) must be taken with a grain of salt. There has been some controversy about its (and the author's) credibility.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:29 AM

Quote:
There has been some controversy about its (and the author's) credibility.
Really? That’s interesting. I read the book a while ago – it was compelling, but not as good as I expected it to be. Where’s the controversy come from?
Old 01-09-2003, 12:38 PM

Suspenderzzz, in the NY Post today there's an article resulting from an interview with the peoples' relatives - apparently the relatives knew what was going on and didn't do anything about it.

Either that, or they didn't know anything and they're making shit up to glorify themselves in the newspaper.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:55 PM
BANNED

Glorify? Incriminating themselves is more like it. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 01-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Take what you read in The New York Post with a grain of salt.

The family and perfect strangers too, for that matter called child services in New Jersey. It has come to light that child services had a file on them for years.

The last thing in the file was a report of the children being beaten and burned. The case worker went to visit the family and could not find the children, so she closed the case. That's right-- she closed the case without ever seeing the kids because they could not be found.

Now, before there is a rush to judgement on the case worker, she had a load of over 100 cases-- even when the state itself says max case load should be about 30. What she did was not against the rules, in fact closed cases are good. New Jersey has called the conditions in the dept of family services an "emergency" and have changed the rules effective immediatly. They have also fired the case worker's supervisor and suspended the case worker.

Yeah, closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:11 PM

We worked with a case worker like that. It's why I no longer have a little (foster) brother and sister.

Thank God their situation is less dire than that of the children previously mentioned.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:14 PM
BANNED

My teenage son, who has more common sense than many adults (sometimes) and I were discussing this case just this morning. He surprised me by pointing out exactly what I've been thinking all along: The reason the social workers et al are so bogged down is because the bulk of their work load consists of bullshit cases. Bingo.

In my humble estimation, 90% of what the child abuse authorities deal with is a bullshit case of some sort (as detailed in an earlier thread on the subject). This is why the real instances of child abuse fall through the cracks. This zero tolerance shit causes more harm than good by treating every report equally, instead of using judgment and attaching varying degrees of urgency to reported cases.

As always, the harder we try to plug every possible hole, the more likely the *real* problems are to slip through. Same goes for airport security and zero tolerance in schools. On the latter, while principals were busy patting themselves on the back for confiscating nail clippers and sending students to drug rehab for taking an Aspirin in school, the Columbine psychos all the while were building their arsenal, quietly and undetectedly.

Where were the child abuse authorities while these kids in Newark were suffering? Probably busy giving someone a hard time for a bruise their kid had sustained on the playground. Give me a break, people, the world's officially gone nuts.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:39 PM

I can just imagine the reaction of the guy who turned her in.

:They are watching the news. A picture of Murphy is shown on the screen. She jumps up and turns it off.:

Her: I hate the news.
Him: Wasn't that you?
Her: I get that all the time now. She just looks like me.
Him: Uhh... Ok. <awkward pause> I'm gonna go get some chips. You want some?
Her: Sure.
Him: Don't go anywhere. I'll be right back.

:He edges out the door, and runs frantically down the street.
:5 min later:

:He sticks his head around the door.:

Him: I brought some friends...

:He opens the door fully, and we see half of the Newark PD crammed in the hallway:

End Scene
Old 01-11-2003, 01:14 AM

Re: On the same subject. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Mjollnir
Some years ago, there was the case of Lattie McGee. It made a lot of newspapers nationwide. Absolutely horrifying.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/bob/greene111899.asp
i jsut read this, sitting here at work, and cried. i don't cry much, maybe tear up on rare occasion, but i don't cry. took me 15 minutes to be able to even type this.

i love my babies so, so very much. nothing in this world is more important to me than their happiness and well being. if anyone did something like this to my kids, i would have to do it back to them. maybe pull out some of their teeth. scoop their eyeballs out with a spoon. slowly peel the skin off their body. then rub alcohol on the raw flesh. let in some of those flesh eating lizards to snack on them. even that isn't horrible enough.

i just want to take these abused kids and hold them until it all goes away. i wish that would help.

i gotta move to another thread. i am crying again
Old 01-11-2003, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspenderzzz
In my humble estimation, 90% of what the child abuse authorities deal with is a bullshit case of some sort (as detailed in an earlier thread on the subject).
Link?
Old 01-11-2003, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspenderzzz
In my humble estimation, 90% of what the child abuse authorities deal with is a bullshit case of some sort (as detailed in an earlier thread on the subject). This is why the real instances of child abuse fall through the cracks.

Where were the child abuse authorities while these kids in Newark were suffering? Probably busy giving someone a hard time for a bruise their kid had sustained on the playground.
You are complete idiot, you know that?

You honestly think that they just had a hard time prioritzing? 'Bruised knee' was ahead of 'heinous torture' alphabetically? I think 90% of your brain is a bullshit case.

Yes, there are false accusations of child abuse. But IMO, the reason cases fall through the cracks is that there are far too many real cases of terrible abuse and far too few people and other resources to deal with them.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In my humble estimation, 90% of what the child abuse authorities deal with is a bullshit case of some sort (as detailed in an earlier thread on the subject). This is why the real instances of child abuse fall through the cracks. This zero tolerance shit causes more harm than good by treating every report equally, instead of using judgment and attaching varying degrees of urgency to reported cases.
I'd like to point out that while a large proportion of reports are unsubstantiated, an unsubstantiated case is not necessarily a bullshit case. In my experience as a (former) child protective worker, there were a tiny number of obviously malicious reports, a tiny number of "cover your ass" reports (school reporting a bruise that they have no suspicions about, etc.), and a huge number of reports that may or may not have been true, but for which no evidence was found. For example, I get a report that a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old are being left home alone. I never find the kids home alone, the reporter is anonymous, the neighbors either won't talk to me or say they've never seen the kids home alone. No evidence, unsubstantiated case. But it doesn't mean the kids are not in fact being left home alone. And those are often the cases that seem to fall through the cracks. The ones where there were previous unsubstantiated reports, and then a kid ends up dead. In retrospect, it seems obvious that the prior reports were accurate, but that doesn't mean the evidence was there at the time.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:46 AM

Nothing to say about the case referenced in the OP, or the ones following with links. I am sick to fucking death of reading about and discussing this kind of shit. I feel like I'm wasting time addressing it as it only gets worse each time a new case pops up.

I wondered about that Dave Pelzer book myself, when I read it. I'd heard of the book before, and when my mom started back to college two years ago, it was the first book she was assigned to read in some kind of Psychology 101 class. I read it one day at her house (it's pretty short) and the whole thing sounded like forwarded email glurge. Some of the injuries the boy sustained at the hands of his mother, like being gut-stabbed and thrown in the basement, and being locked in the bathroom deliberately with toxic fumes from cleaning supplies, sounded a bit "much" to me. Yeah, I realize kids have survived worse, but this kid was sent to school every day (for a long time, anyway). Any kid hungry enough to eat vomit is, IMHO, going to be noticed by a teacher doing something desperate like that in, oh, say, at least a year or two. I also found it rather difficult to believe that all this family's neighbors, who were familiar enough with the boy to return him to his house for stealing food, never noticed that he was being beaten, tortured, and starved by a screaming lunatic of a drunk-ass mother RIGHT NEXT DOOR. Must have been those soundproof walls.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:08 PM

Or maybe, since it "wasn't their problem", as long as he didn't bother them they didn't bother him.

And he's only going to be noticed by the teachers if they care, or are willing to risk a possible shitstorm if they're wrong about their perception of his maltreatment. In the time I was in high school, very obviously being bullied and very obviously unhappy with the entire situation, I remember being asked *once* by *any* teacher if I was okay, and that was regarding my emotional well-being when my grandmother was dying in a hospital room some 500 miles away.

That was the one time. And *I* got out by graduating. Many teachers are excellent about dealing with possible cases of abuse. Many others are less than good.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:05 PM

Hey, Spooje, at least he got this far:

Quote:
I had to seriously rethink my hard-core stance on reporting child neglect,
That's a far cry from his usual boilerplate.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:40 AM

punha, while I know how you feel about being bullied - an experience I went through for far too many years myself; ask me sometime - I expect that teachers and so forth don't see it quite the same way as parental abuse, and for good reason. The horror stories in this thread about parental abuse are, unfortunately, all too common. But how often do you hear about a kid being bullied to death? I know it's happened, but much more rarely.

So I can understand why a teacher who would regard it as his/her duty to report evidence of parental abuse would take a pass on protecting a student from the school bullies, even though I agree that they should do something in both situations.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:34 AM

RT, if I'm understanding what you're asking, it's a good question:

To put it rather bluntly and somewhat mathematically, "What is the ratio of children who suffer from abuse by their parent(s)/guardian(s) to the extent that it ends in death/children who are bullied to death?"

I have absolutely no idea. I can't even give you anything near a good guess on this country alone. Due to my membership on Ravendays (a support group/news list site for survivors of bullying), I hear about them (bullying-related deaths) a lot more than most of y'all, and I don't post them probably as much as I should. Incidentally, in norinew's IMHO thread from within the past few months on her daughter is a post of mine detailing several suicides blamed exclusively on bullying (that is to say, the bullying continued to the point where the student killed herself [all female cites, and the reason for which you'll see in the thread], as opposed to dying because of, say, being physically beaten to death by another student). It looks like only three links but as I recall it's at least a half-dozen.

It would be my mostly speculative guess that bullying is more common than child abuse, but child abuse—at least, that we hear about—is generally worse (that is, done on a case-by-base basis to a more extreme degree) than bullying. However, I'm talking more about the exceptions to that, where the bullying is as bad or worse than the child abuse cases. And in some of those cases (this is informative, not meant to be a "You're wrong, so I'm telling you) you literally do have teachers turning their heads so they don't see and feel even more guilt-ridden than they already did. In the past few years, for example, several students (supported by their parents) in this country and in (IIRC) Canada and I think Sweden have filed suit against their respective school boards for various things they (parents, and sometimes also children assuming the kids haven't committed suicide already) believe were caused by bullying. If you're interested I can dig around on the Ravendays website. It's fairly user-friendly, there's just a *lot* there. There've been updates to it fairly frequently (I'd put a conservative guess at around 1-3 per week since 1998).

There is also the fact that parental abuse of children is often much more glaring (it would seem that the recent abuse-related deaths of children would rise in opposition of this point), as bullying is orchestrated specifically to be where a teacher will not see it, whereas with child abuse it is not quite so easy to hide. A lot of bullying (a *lot*, in my experience) is also more verbally/psychologically grounded, and to catch that you either have to care a lot or know where to be. And with thirty kids in a classroom that can be less than easy.Or at least that's what I have to tell myself sometimes.

Link to bullying-related deaths.

Court cases brought due to bullying.

Fuck. This shit is too depressing to read right now.