The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 01-09-2003, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Slang Words for Penis in Other Languages

I apologize if this has been done before.

Pud, dick, dong, wang, Johnson, dode, pecker, tally-whacker, willie, John Thomas, schwanz, shlong, shmeckel, prick, cock... etc.

What I want is slang for "penis" in other languages. Becuase, uh, you never know when they might come in handy (no pun intended ). "Shmeckel," "shlong" & "schwanz" all sound vaguely Yiddish. "Dong" & "wang" sound vaguely Chinese.

Any others?
Advertisements  
Old 01-09-2003, 07:59 AM

"piel" is the only Afrikaans one that I can remember...

Grim
Old 01-09-2003, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

chin-chin in japanese
lao er in Mandarin
lu in Shanghaiese
Old 01-09-2003, 08:10 AM
BANNED

[hijack] When Wayne Wang's movie CHAN IS MISSING first came out, some wiseass climbed up in the middle of the night and changed the movie marquee to read "WAYNE CHAN'S WANG IS MISSING"

Actually, although I remember this happening at a theatre on the Upper West Side, it now sounds so unlikely (no cops around? Really?) that I wonder if someone just TOLD me this happened, as in "Wouldn't it be witty if...?" [end hijack]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:26 AM

Ok here is a couple of swedish ones

Kuk, snopp, pitt, Petter-Niklas , byxormen (trouser snake), stake, snabel, slang.

I am sure Dryga Yes,The Gaspode or some other swedes can fill in a bunch more.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:39 AM

Ptak a vejce (bird and eggs) in Czech for penis and testicles. Sesame Street would have a hard time with that big yellow guy over here...
Old 01-09-2003, 09:17 AM

Damnit, Tomcat, you beat me to ptak!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:29 AM

"Tippi" is the generally accepted Icelandic word for "penis."

[insert Tippi Hedren joke here]

Aside from that one, as seems to be the case with most languages there's a whole bevy of different terms, most of which would be uncool to use as slang in English because they're quite esoteric and, I imagine, fairly unpronouncable to most Americans. That said, when am I ever gonna get the legitimate chance to post these on a message board again? So without further ado, I present to you:

Fnoonf's Incomplete And Unscientific Index of Practical Icelandic Penile Terms

Böllur (BUDD-lur) (schlong)
Skaufi (SKUH-ee-vih) (dick)
Göndull (GUND-uhdl)* (cock)
Lókur (LOW-cur) (prick)
Tilli (TILL-uh) (willie)
Jón Tómasson (YONE TOME-us-son) (John Thomas)

OK, kidding about that last one.

Well, hope that helped some. I can rest easy now, confident that I've done my part in the ongoing battle against ignorance, at least for today.

*This pronunciation is quite literally impossible to convey properly without the use of phonetic symbols and/or major oral surgery.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:32 AM

When someone told my Sudanese friend his zip was broken, it caused her great amusement, that being pretty crude back home in Khartoum. Whether that's just in Sudan or other arabic speaking countries, I don't know.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:41 AM

Lun in Canonese.

In Ireland I've heard micky, langer, and flute.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:44 AM

German:

- Schwanz (tail)
- Luemmel
- Spaetzle (that's right, just like the noodles. Well, what do the noodles remind you of?)

Brazilian:

- pica
- pau
- pinto

Dutch:

- lul
Old 01-09-2003, 10:48 AM

Finnish:

- mulkku
- muna
- kyrpä
- jorma
- jortikka
- kalu
Old 01-09-2003, 10:52 AM

Spain: "Pinto" means "small penis" in Spanish slang. This is why the car of the same name did not sell well there.

Phillippines (or Korea, I forget which): Remember the characters on the sitcom "Happy Days?" Remember Joanie? Remember Chachi? Remember a short-lived TV show called "Joanie Loves Chachi?"

I have heard that the premiere of "Joanie Loves Chachi" was the highest-rated television show ever in the Phillippines (or Korea, I forget which).

It seems that "chachi" is local dialect for "penis", naturally...
Old 01-09-2003, 11:18 AM

In Hebrew, the most common slang term for dick is Zayyin, pronounced just like Americans pronounce "Zion." That made for some great puns in my Zionist youth movement, let me tell you!

"I'm an up-and-coming Zionist!"
"Together, we can erect the Zion of our dreams."
Old 01-09-2003, 11:18 AM
BANNED

In american sign language, 'penis' is a variation of 'pee'.....& it starts @ your nose. I never figured out why but its funny to see.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:13 PM

The Royals in the UK seem to speak a differant language to the rest of us yokels.

According to Prince Charles it is "Mr Wobbly"
Old 01-09-2003, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fnoonf
[B]
Fnoonf's Incomplete And Unscientific Index of Practical Icelandic Penile Terms

Böllur (BUDD-lur) (schlong)
Skaufi (SKUH-ee-vih) (dick)
Göndull (GUND-uhdl)* (cock)
Lókur (LOW-cur) (prick)
Tilli (TILL-uh) (willie)

Uh, aren't those all names in Lord Of The Rings?

Geez...Tolkien was kinkier than I thought.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:25 PM

my friend taught me how to say "suck my dick" in russian...

I have no idea how to spell it , but it sounds like this...

pa-sa su-y moi whee
Old 01-09-2003, 03:12 PM

One in Hindi is "dhanda", literally stick.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:29 PM

I used to work with some Bangladeshis (Bangalese?) and their favorite word was "boga".
Old 01-09-2003, 03:32 PM

Don't forget "pinga" in Spanish (Boriquan slang?)
Old 01-09-2003, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by merge
my friend taught me how to say "suck my dick" in russian...

I have no idea how to spell it , but it sounds like this...

pa-sa su-y moi whee
well, not bad for a phonetic transcription; in transliteration that would be

pososuy moi khui

Gotta tell you, though, this sounds like a pretty literal translation from English - I've never heard anything like this being used. Russians have other "endearments" that they use in cases where an English speaker would say "suck my dick"
At any rate, the operative word is "khui" (the kh is pronounced like a German ch, but slightly less harsh), which is the strongest variant of the term with "kher" and "khren" being decreasing-potency equivalents (khren - which means "horseradish" - is only mildly rude).
Of course, this being Russian, there are endless derivative adverbs, adjectives, verbs (perfective and imperfective) that can be made with these words, as the situation warrants.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jehovah68 I used to work with some Bangladeshis (Bangalese?) and their favorite word was "boga".
'Bangladeshi' is correct for a citizen of Bangladesh.

'Bengali' more generally refers to people from the area (ethnic grouping), but could indicate a citizen of India (or even some other country).
Old 01-09-2003, 05:46 PM

In Hungarien, koki means penis. It's pronounced just loke cookie.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:41 PM

In Klingon: Kirk
Old 01-09-2003, 10:25 PM

Schwanzenbad Hodenthaler is German for "Penis in bath, inhabitant in the valley of testicles."
Old 01-09-2003, 10:45 PM

A French guy I once dated said that when he was a little boy his parents referred to his tallywhacker as a zizi.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadwalker
In Hungarien, koki means penis. It's pronounced just loke cookie.
Almost. Kuki pronounced "KOO-kee" is the child's word for penis. Something akin to our "wee-wee." Punci or "POON-tsee" is the equivalent for the female genitals.

The more vulgar word is fasz. That's more like our dick. Another slang word meaning penis, not so much in use, is pöcs.

Incindetally, the word Puszi, pronounced "POO-see" in Hungarian is not the sexual word it appears to be. It simply means "Kiss" and is very commonly used, though tends to cause quizical looks among English-speaking foreigners.

In Polish, we have chuj, "dick" and chujek, "little dick." Also kutas. Pisior or pisiorek are the kids words for it.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:45 PM

Just dropped to mention that the word verga in many areas of Latin America is the vulgar word for penis.

I was rolling on the floor when in an episode of Futurama, the professor projected on the table the planet they needed to reach to rescue endangered space creatures: the planet was called VERGON 6!!!!

Vergon = Literally: owner of a big one!! Symbolically: very lucky occurrence.

I still wonder if they will allow that to appear in the Spanish markets, when it gets syndicated over there!
Old 01-10-2003, 02:53 AM

Filipino = Titi

The Turkish euphemism for oral sex is "playing the saxophone".
Old 01-10-2003, 05:43 AM

Also in Ireland

Further to jjimm's irish offerings, I can also offer knob, which I think is also English, but which leads to the delightful term knobgoblin for "wanker".

Philly
Old 01-10-2003, 06:03 AM

In the Irish language (as opposed to English words used in Ireland), the most common term for penis is "bud", which gives a whole new meaning to "this Bud's for you".

Quote:
When someone told my Sudanese friend his zip was broken, it caused her great amusement, that being pretty crude back home in Khartoum. Whether that's just in Sudan or other arabic speaking countries, I don't know.
A friend of mine who plays petanque (French boules) internationally for Ireland, told me that an Algerian guy at a tournament told him that something that sounds like this...

"zippee fratermtek"

...is arabic for "my dick up your ass". Given your post, maybe it is.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wang-Ka
It seems that "chachi" is local dialect for "penis", naturally...
Don't know any Tagalog, but in Korean, "chachi" is one word for penis. (I would probably write it "jaji," but both would work.) A common slang term, though, is "gochu," which literally means chili pepper. They're small and red. The peppers, I mean.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:26 AM

Howdy,

In the native tongue of East Timor, referred to as Tetun, the common word is simply lasan, no big deal.

But the common "rural" word is isin lulik, which is translated as either magic or holy body, and is used interchangeably for both male and female, similar to the "private arena" in American slang.

However, the slang word is manu, which is tranlated as "chicken", they do not specify male chicken which would be manu aman.

So, they still kind of stick to "cock".

In fact, in an older Australian "travel guide" to East Timor (which was restricted to foreigners by the Indonesion government, so as to try and hide the truth of their daily harassment, torturs, rapes, and murders of the locals), the book (which was written in English) mentioned that the local men were very proud of their cocks and could be seen walking around town proudly stroking their cocks in public.

What a sight that must have been...
Old 01-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

A London e-friend told me the slang word "Willie." Now whenever traffic reporters mention "The Big Willie" (the Williamsburg Bridge), I have to giggle.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:51 AM

Danish:

Pik
Old 01-10-2003, 08:15 AM

French

bite, pine, zob, zizi (almost polite - refers to a kid's penis), teub, chibre (old fashioned), and a lot more...
Old 01-10-2003, 09:54 AM

Gotta chime in on the Russian slang a little further - "khui" is considered very rude and can get you ostracized in certain circumstances. Never use it in front of a Russian woman, even jokingly.

Another Russian slang word is chlen, which is the general word for "member" - both the physiological and political term. Much fun and punnery with that one.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:02 PM

I would say that compared to English, Russian is pretty poor in that regard. All the penis words can be roughly categorized into three groups - medical terms (chlen, penis), expletives (khui, kher, elda and so on) and kiddie words (pipiska and numerous variants thereof). The fun part is, however, that khui appears to be as semantically flexible as the f-word in English. It can mean a lot of things, depending on context (for as long as the speaker feels strongly about them), and it can be subjected to word formation to no end.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:37 PM

Here in Glasgow the word dobber is used from time to time.

Seems kind of fitting in ways I can't explain.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft Holmes
German:
- Schwanz (tail)
- Luemmel
- Spaetzle (that's right, just like the noodles. Well, what do the noodles remind you of?)
l
You forgot:
Schniedel
Schniedelwutz
Wurst
Pimmel
Fickhammer
Latte

For completeness, testicles are referred to as "eier," which translates as "eggs."
Old 01-10-2003, 04:29 PM

Italian: Minchia or cazzo

Dickhead is testa di cazzo
Old 01-10-2003, 05:16 PM

Some of the slang words in Spanish have been broght up, but there are more:

verga (also Spain and Latin America), pito (also whistle), chosto (Mexico), polla (Spain), pitín or pitilin (child-like), pene (penis), palo (stick, Mexico: also "echar un palo"- "throw a stick" = fuck).

If I remember more, I'll get back to you.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox in the Snow
Here in Glasgow the word dobber is used from time to time.

Seems kind of fitting in ways I can't explain.
Oh my lord....

The San Francisco Giants (baseball team, for you non-Americans) had a manager in the 1980's, named Roger Craig. He had a phrase that he used from time to time, to mean "don't get depressed...have faith". Local fans and sportswriters had no idea what it meant, but just thought it was cute folksy saying he brought with him..

"Don't get your dobber down."
Old 01-13-2003, 05:54 AM

Resurrecting this thread to recall the wonderful Cantonese euphemism for (male) masturbation:

Da feh geh

This means, literally, "beating the airplane".
Old 01-13-2003, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jjimm
Resurrecting this thread to recall the wonderful Cantonese euphemism for (male) masturbation:

Da feh geh

This means, literally, "beating the airplane".
So "geh pride" in Chinese means "joy of owning Stealth.'?
Old 01-13-2003, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lothos2002
Some of the slang words in Spanish have been broght up, but there are more:

verga (also Spain and Latin America), pito (also whistle), chosto (Mexico), polla (Spain)....
Man, "polla" really threw me for a loop in Spain. Nothing really embarrasing, just some grafitti that would leave me puzzled, until I figured that the "polla" it was refering to was "penis" not "female chicken", which is the only meaning for "polla" I knew before then.

For those interested, the one I still remember was written about 10 feet up on a wall and read:

"Si eres buen titiritero da con la polla en este letrero"

"If you're a such a pimp his this sign with your "polla".

I remember thinking, "I'm pretty sure I can throw a chicken that high..., well, maybe a small chicken".
Old 01-13-2003, 12:25 PM

his=hit
Old 01-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Zizi in French can mean both the male member and the female naughty bits ... but only when they are little.

It's basically a word used by parents to describe the thing their little kid goes wee-wee with. I've never heard it used as a description of a post-pubescent penis.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:54 PM

Apparently, amazingly and hilariously, a common German teenager slang expression is Uberaffengeil, meaning literally "super monkey horny".