Those really good M&Ms! What happened?

I remember back in the 80’s, maybe even the early 90’s… I would get some bags of M&Ms that were just different. They tasted different and they were extremely yummy. This was maybe one bag in 15 or 20. The rest had that standard M&M taste that is the same today.

Yet, for years upon years I have never tasted a bag like those again. I always figured it had to do with the factory in which they were made, maybe slighty different ingredients. Whatever. I never thought to write down the factory code on the bag.

Anyone else even remotely know what I’m talking about? Anyone remember those special bags? Anyone have a clue why they vanished?

I’m sad, now… As I eat these plain-ole’ M&Ms and remember the good days.

Infamus

I know exactly what you are talking about! I have tried to discuss this with other people but everyone just thinks I’m crazy!

Let me ask you something. Did you notice the really good tasting ones came in the big bags rather than the little single (or 2.5) serving size? They were more…chocolatey or something. They even smelled better.

Sadly, I don’t know why they were better–I’m just excited that someone else recognizes the phenomenon.

Those who are dancing look insane to those who cannot hear the music.

One-of-a-kind, custom-designed Wally sig available on request.

This thread is indeed two years old but I wanted to chime in here again and say that I indeed remember those great tasing bags of M&Ms. I have not had one in years… They all taste the same now. The ratio was maybe 1:50 or slightly higher. But when you got a ‘good’ bag, it was total heaven.

But alas, everyone thinks I’m nuts as well when I bring it up in public. I’d give $1000 for a big bag of the ‘good’ ones. Seriously. And yes, they even smelled better.

MM

M&Ms went to shit when they introduced blue M&Ms.

What were you folks smoking back then?

It’s probably like every other sweetened product - it’s probably the difference between the ones made with sugar and the ones made with high fructose corn syrup. There probably WAS just a few factories still making them with sugar. Just like the Dublin, Texas Dr. Pepper plant.

I can’t help but wonder if you occasionally got a really fresh bag.

FYI

http://www.worldfoodscience.org/archive/products01.html

This thread is indeed two years old but I wanted to chime in here again and say that I indeed remember those great tasing bags of M&Ms. I have not had one in years… They all taste the same now. The ratio was maybe 1:50 or slightly higher. But when you got a ‘good’ bag, it was total heaven.

But alas, everyone thinks I’m nuts as well when I bring it up in public. I’d give $1000 for a big bag of the ‘good’ ones. Seriously. And yes, they even smelled better.

MM

Were they maybe Hersheyettes? I know somehow they taste different (I think better) than M&Ms (not that M&Ms are bad, by any stretch!) Around easter you can get Hershey Eggs which are like the Peanut M&M size but all chocolate and they’re absolutely delicious.

Is it possible you picked up a bag of M&M Baking Bits? There are two varieties - the usual milk chocolate and semi-sweet. Maybe it was the semi-sweet that did it for you.

Okay, I saw this thread for the first time when it was resurrected last month and thought the same thing as bibliophage. However, I just encountered one of these strange M&M packages at, of all places, the movie theater. It was one of those tubes of the mini-M&Ms and I couldn’t believe how good they tasted. I saved some for the rest of the family and everyone agreed that these were different somehow. They tasted almost like dark chocolate. I guess they had the richness of dark chocolate but with the sweetness of milk chocolate. Just incredible. We’ve got to get to the bottom of this.

I think there’s a freshness factor here. I’ve bought (large) bags of M&Ms, and the experience of eating them the first day vs. days later is much different.

I postulate that the “good” bags of M&Ms were factory fresh–not ones that had been sitting on the shelf for a long time. And, since M&Ms are packaged in paper (only the large bags are plastic), I can imagine there would be a significant amount of air exchange over time.

Try this: wait for the next “holiday” bag of M&Ms to come out (Halloween?), and buy it immediately. See if they don’t taste better.

You’ve been able to get them in Austin for quite a while now, and these things are awesome. They taste like the candy bars that Hersey’s makes for Mexico, just delicious.

I actually just saw some “patriotic” M&Ms at the store. (Red, white and blue.) I’m guessing those might qualify as pretty fresh/recent/new. They do have either expiration dates or “packaged on” dates somewhere on the package (or used to at one time). Been a while since I bought them so I can’t remember where exactly.

“M&M/MARS to release new dulce de leche flavor
7/11/01 - M&M/MARS announces the release of its new M&M’s® variety: Dulce de Leche-Caramel Chocolate Candies. The flavor was inspired by the popular Latino ice cream dessert, dulce de leche.”

Oh. My. God. I feel like I’ve just died and gone to heaven. If they’re half as good as Dulce de Leche Haagen Das…

I think you’re all thinking about “Hersheyettes”, the Hershey company’s version of “m&m’s”. They tasted different because they were genuine hershey chocolate. A variety we all know has a taste all it’s own.
Same idea…colorful candy shell…but instead of each one being maked with an m, they were marked with all the letters to spell out “H-E-R-S-H-E-Y-E-T-T-E-S”.
I don’t know what became of them, I actually googled my way to this message board to find out.

M&Ms may or may not taste better fresh, but they definitely don’t taste better when they’ve been buried for 12 years.

zombie or no

they melt in your hand too.

Moving from GQ to Cafe Society.

Please note that this thread was started 12 years ago.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator