How tall were the appalachian moutains?

If I remember correctly, the appalachian mountains are older then the rocky’s, and that’s why they are not as tall, erosion ect. But how tall were all those millennia ago?

The Appalachians are much lower than many other ranges because they are much, much older, hence much more eroded. According to this site:

Applying the principle of Uniformitarianism, we assume that the ancient Appalachia were similar to modern-day mountain ranges that form at continental convergent boundaries, such as the Himalayas or Alps.

The even older Ouachita mountain range that apparently ran east-west around the latitude of Oklahoma must have been impressive in their days too.

More impressive are the same Ouachitas that sweep southwestward through Texas, passing under Dallas and popping up briefly in Central Texas (Llano) and West Texas (Marathon Basin): part of a once Himalayan-scale range not only worn down, but buried in the subsurface.

And then there are the Precambrain mountain ranges…

OK, so I was off to the north a bit. Yeah, those mountains.

No, you were right. The Ouachitas crop out at the surface in Oklahoma and Arkansas–I was just commenting on the subsurface Ouachitas as the ultimate example of mountains that used to be higher!