The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 PM

How are some foods able to give me diarrhea so quickly

First post here, and it's a juicy one.

OK, so I have noticed a trend. When I eat at Chinese Buffet, I get bad diarrhea about 20 minutes after the meal is over. At Mongolian BBQ, I get bad diarrhea about 45 minutes after. Taco Bell is about 3 hours.

So, my questions are:
What is it about these foods that make me have diarrhea?
and
Physiologically, how are they able to effect my colon so abruptly after eating?
Advertisements  
Old 02-27-2003, 02:58 PM

My mother has this same problem with garlic and bell peppers. I mean, if we're out to dinner, she's feeling the effects by the time we get home.

Hi mom! No, really, I'm not discussing your bowels with others!

What gives?
Old 02-27-2003, 03:55 PM

I hear you. Chinese Buffet will do it to me everytime. There's no way that food could shoot down my alimentary canal that quickly.

I've always thought that when you eat a large meal your digestive tract notices this and kicks into overdrive. Some kind of Colon Red Alert to make room for what's to come.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:06 PM

This may be a sign of a mild food allergy. This was how I found out I'm allergic to mushrooms - they always give me that reaction. As soon as I started paying attention, and correlating the reaction to what I'd eaten during that meal, it didn't take too long to narrow it down to the mushrooms. (The difficult bit is that it would only happen eating out - even before I discovered my allergy, I didn't add mushrooms to food at home.)
Old 02-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

This is a common symptom in people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but it also occurs in people with lactose intolerance and other digestive ailments. It's due to the gastrocolic reflex.

http://www.firstyearibs.com/day2learn.html
Quote:
The majority of the time the colon is still, barely moving a muscle. However, following a meal, the stomach triggers something called the "gastrocolic reflex." This response occurs when food passes from the stomach into the upper part of the small intestine. Normally, the gastrocolic reflex causes periodic contractions of the colon at different points along its length, at timed intervals. These segmented contractions regulate the flow of waste, and keep it in contact with the bowel wall, allowing water to be absorbed.

Finally, peristaltic contractions of the colon propel the waste to the rectum and then out of the anus via evacuation by a bowel movement. Total average transit time through the entire 30-foot digestive system, from mouth to anus, is between 12-24 hours for healthy individuals with high-fiber diets, and 48-72 hours for most Americans eating a typical Western (high fat/protein, low fiber) diet.

Where Things Go Wrong…

Unfortunately, how the digestive tract is supposed to work is not exactly how it does work for those of us with IBS. The key problem seems to be with the gastrocolic reflex. Specifically, research has found that many IBS patients have highly abnormal ones.[2] Our colons have disorganized and significantly more violent and prolonged contractions (leading to diarrhea), or almost no contractions at all (resulting in constipation). Amazingly, researchers have found that while healthy people have between 6-8 peristaltic contractions in their colon within a 24-hour period, IBS sufferers with diarrhea have as many as 25 peristaltic contractions per day, and constipation-prone IBS patients have almost none. [3] Add to this bowel dysfunction the heightened pain perception resulting from our abnormal brain-gut interactions, and you’ve got the recipe for disaster…spelled I-B-S.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:50 PM

I have a related question: If something you eat gives you diarrhea almost immediately, does the food pass through your digestive system without all of its nutritional content being absorbed?
Old 02-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

It's not the new food being excreted, it's the food that has already traveled through your intestines. It's from meals eaten as long as 48 hours before.

Long-term diarrhea can certainly reduce overall absorption of nutrients, but doctors define that as longer than three weeks continuously.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:58 PM

I think, AudreyK, that the digestive system is reacting to what you just ate by causing problems with stuff you ate roughly 12 to 24 hours ago. In other words, you're not pooping out something you ate 20 minutes ago.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:14 PM

I think it's grease, myself. I've noticed that I often get diarrhea after greasy meals, especially those involving sauteed onions.

Hmmm...it could be that I'm allergic to onions, but raw onions don't cause a problem. I still think it's the grease.

TGIFridays is my bane. I'm always sick after eating there. In fact, I've wondered if there's something not quite right with the food there, but no one else in the party ever gets sick, so it seems to be just me. I avoid the place anyway.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
...in other words, you're not pooping out something you ate 20 minutes ago.
I've noticed the OP effect, and it's real. I've seen bright green chopped spinach or parsley appears after 20 minutes of eating at a restaurant. And I hadn't eaten these at any other time within at least a month so it's not 24/48 hours old. I thought I was the only one who experienced this. The odd thing is that there was no other sign, no stomach rumbling, no pain. I even asked my doctor "how is that possible?" Naturally, he had no answer, probably not believing me.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:43 PM

Thanks, Exapno Mapcase and Sauron. (BTW, you wouldn't believe how long I've wondered that.)

I suppose I could fast for a couple days and then consume large amounts of cheese and milk to see for myself. Yay, lactose intolerance. On the other hand, not eating for a couple days and then deliberately making myself sick would rank pretty high on my list of Stupid Self-Inflicted Tortures. So I think I'll just take your word for it.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:00 PM

IANAG, but I believe the major culprit here is the grease or fat. It may not be particularly apropos to the above discussion, but I am reminded of the story, perhaps apocryphal, of a modern-day comic (Robin Williams?) who had once, as a child, amused himself on a farm where geese (ducks?) were raised by tying a long string to a lump of fatty meat and feeding it to one of the fowl. Their "constitution" is such that the lump passes through in a manner of a few minutes. The lump was then passed along until in a half hour's time there were 5 or 6 of them waddling around the barnyard in a rather odd convoy. Can anyone supply corroborative details?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 PM

ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranticMad View Post
I've noticed the OP effect, and it's real. I've seen bright green chopped spinach or parsley appears after 20 minutes of eating at a restaurant. And I hadn't eaten these at any other time within at least a month so it's not 24/48 hours old. I thought I was the only one who experienced this. The odd thing is that there was no other sign, no stomach rumbling, no pain. I even asked my doctor "how is that possible?" Naturally, he had no answer, probably not believing me.
I have the exact same thing!!. I did a test, For 1 whole month i didnt eat sweetcorn and then for lunch i had sweetcorn and vegetables and a pork chop. 20 minutes later i was running to the bathroom and i had bad diarrhoea and there was sweetcorn in it. No chance it was from 24/48 hours before that. I have had this for years. If im eating out, i have to either go directly home after the last mouthful has gone down, or stay at the place im eating at as i know that i will need the bathroom within 20 minutes. One day my ex hadnt finished his pint when i finished eating so i had to wait 10 minutes for him. Lets just say i didn't make it home in time to use the bathroom, we had to wait for the babysitter to unlock the door and by the time she did, i had an accident
I have had all the tests done and they say its ibs. Having a diagnosis doesnt help though, nothing they suggest helps. I just have to make sure im within reach of a bathroom and also to have some kind of air freshener with me
Old 05-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
This is a common symptom in people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
I thought "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" was a euphemism for being an asshole.

Last edited by sqweels; 05-07-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 PM
BANNED

How about IZS? (Irritable Zombie Syndrome)
Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 PM

Not to dogpile but there's just no way the "it's not the food you just ate" thing is 100% true.

I think my record was like an hour.. maybe 2? Spinach heavy first course at a restaurant... stopped at the bathroom on the way out of the restaurant... nothing but spinach.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:58 PM

When I was young, I'm told, I ate a whole unattended bowl of bright blue frosting which passed through me like lightning. What came out was bright blue. Not surprising, but still shocking.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:59 PM

It makes intuitive sense that fat goes 'right through you' because it's all oily and stuff, but in reality, fat takes longer to digest than carbohydrate or protein because it is not water-soluable and requires the excretion of several different compounds along with thorough mixing to be processed. Also, foods that are majority fat and protein are digested almost completely by the human body. Most of the food waste in stool is from carbohydrate (plant-based) foods which tend to be fibrous.

In the OPs case, I agree with PPs that something he is eating is irritating his colon and causing it contract, expelling whatever is in there at the moment (before the water has been removed, hence diarrhea). It's probably a specific food or additive causing this.

Anyway, I used to have quite a few digestive problems, but now that I have figured out what foods cause me troubles and stopped eating them I have none at all. I would suggest you avoid the restaurants that give you diarrhea if the only time you have this problem is when you eat there.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 PM

I'm going to crap out a zombie diarrhea in about 20 minutes!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek Mecha View Post
Thanks, Exapno Mapcase and Sauron. (BTW, you wouldn't believe how long I've wondered that.)

I suppose I could fast for a couple days and then consume large amounts of cheese and milk to see for myself. Yay, lactose intolerance. On the other hand, not eating for a couple days and then deliberately making myself sick would rank pretty high on my list of Stupid Self-Inflicted Tortures. So I think I'll just take your word for it.
Actually, what you do is follow an extremely bland diet for a week or so, and then gradually add in new foods that you suspect might be causing problems. I think that you start out on rice, applesauce, bananas, and lamb, no seasonings. I've only read about these diets, I've never had to follow one in order to pinpoint a food that causes problems, generally I know what I've just eaten that I don't normally eat.

By the way, pepper (black, white, and red) is actually a fairly common trigger among the people I know with this problem. So you might have a problem with a restaurant seasoning everything with pepper.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:31 AM

The worst part is that foods that do this also tend to burn on the way out.... My rectum won't eat the spiciest wings on the menu at Buffalo Wild Wings anymore.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:23 AM

Unfortunately I seem to suffer from IBS and it sucks.

The main problems, for me, are two-fold:

1) I have no idea what causes it. Most times I am fine. I eat a very varied diet (I like lots of different kinds of food) and despite years of this and paying attention when it happens (relatively rare) I can find no rhyme or reason to it. I eat super spicy stuff with zero problems for instance. Best I have come up with is it happens when I drink from glasses that are washed at the bar. That is, I have a glass of beer and the glass was washed in the bar rinse tubs it seems more likely to happen. Even then it is not a sure thing but as a result I tend to drink from bottles while at a bar if I can. Frankly though I have no clue despite careful analysis to figure what it is.

2) Almost no one believes me (or rather they think I am making much ado about nothing and cannot believe it occurs so fast [hour or so] after eating) and almost no one understands how debilitating it is while it happens (it is painful and it is urgent). Literally there have been times when I am nowhere near a bathroom and seriously wondered if I was going to shit myself in public. Worse, those cases are usually when I am out with friends or family so the embarrassment will be with people I know well (thank Og so far that has never happened but been close a few times).

It is fairly rare for it to happen to me fortunately but not so uncommon that I don't worry about it. Totally ruins my evening if it does which can be really bad if on a first date (yep...that happened to me once).

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-08-2010 at 03:24 AM..
Old 05-08-2010, 03:38 AM

To add:

I will say it has given me empathy for women who have monthly cramps. While being a guy I can never know for sure but after describing it to my female friends they have said that what I described sounds awfully similar to cramps they experience.

All well and good to have that understanding but still; I'd be happier never knowing.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-08-2010 at 03:39 AM..
Old 05-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
My rectum won't eat the spiciest wings on the menu at Buffalo Wild Wings anymore.
Pssst. You were doing it wrong.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:47 AM

I live in China and of course I eat Chinese food every day.
It took months for my body to adjust to the large amount of oil used in the
restaurants.
My guess is that for some of the people in this thread one problem might be eating oily or greasy foods.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 AM
BANNED

Does anyone find diarrhea immediately following coffee? When I have my first cup of the day, I need to be very sure a bathroom is close at hand--the weird thing is that sometimes I get an emergency while the coffee is still brewing--I haven't literally had a drop to drink yet, but I have the diarrhea anyway. Psychological diarrhea? Conditioned diarhhrhea? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:16 AM

I guess i'm somewhat more normal. This happens to me about 12-24 hours after eating ranch dressing.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
I have no idea what causes it. Most times I am fine.I eat a very varied diet (I like lots of different kinds of food) and despite years of this and paying attention when it happens (relatively rare) I can find no rhyme or reason to it. I eat super spicy stuff with zero problems for instance. Best I have come up with is it happens when I drink from glasses that are washed at the bar. That is, I have a glass of beer and the glass was washed in the bar rinse tubs it seems more likely to happen. Even then it is not a sure thing but as a result I tend to drink from bottles while at a bar if I can. Frankly though I have no clue despite careful analysis to figure what it is.
Sometimes it's not just the ingredient, but the AMOUNT of the ingredient. I can eat a small amount of pepper. The exact amount varies from day to day, though, so I do my best to avoid ALL pepper every day. Same thing with a variety of other ingredients. Also, if the glasses are not really washed and rinsed properly, you might be having a reaction to the soap or detergent, if it doesn't get washed off completely.

Do what you need to do to protect your digestive system. Carry some Imodium AD tabs with you at all times. They are more effective than Pepto Bismol, in my experience, and they work faster, too. However, if you take too many of them, then the constipation is almost as bad as the runs.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudotriton ruber ruber View Post
Does anyone find diarrhea immediately following coffee? When I have my first cup of the day, I need to be very sure a bathroom is close at hand--the weird thing is that sometimes I get an emergency while the coffee is still brewing--I haven't literally had a drop to drink yet, but I have the diarrhea anyway. Psychological diarrhea? Conditioned diarhhrhea? It doesn't make any sense to me.
I had never made that connection until Tony Soprano told Carmella in one episode that the new French Roast coffee she bought "cleaned [him] right out."
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDawgEsq View Post
IANAG, but I believe the major culprit here is the grease or fat. It may not be particularly apropos to the above discussion, but I am reminded of the story, perhaps apocryphal, of a modern-day comic (Robin Williams?) who had once, as a child, amused himself on a farm where geese (ducks?) were raised by tying a long string to a lump of fatty meat and feeding it to one of the fowl. Their "constitution" is such that the lump passes through in a manner of a few minutes. The lump was then passed along until in a half hour's time there were 5 or 6 of them waddling around the barnyard in a rather odd convoy. Can anyone supply corroborative details?
Was the string knotted? How come it didn't just go through?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:29 AM

The geese (or ducks) eating fat (or bacon) on a string is a Baron Munchausen story. It passes through enough birds that when the flock takes off, he's carried along with them. He then has to strangle them in flight so that he can land.

(And Robin Williams was King of the Moon, not the Baron, so it must not have been his story.)
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 PM

Coffee causes bowel irritation for some people, so it contracts quickly and dumps a load - sometimes before the water has been reabsorbed from the waste material.

Sometimes it makes me poo, but I can't remember the last time I had diarrhea.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

After my husband had his gall bladder out, he has experienced the same thing - when he has to have a bowel movement, he has to have one RFN! It's entirely possible it's the fat in our diet that is triggering this.

I've been dealing with stomach problems for a couple of years now, and after much testing and trying prescriptions and head-scratching from my doctor, we've tentatively come up with a diagnosis of IBS for me, too. My first food challenge was dairy, and my symptoms were greatly reduced when I eliminated dairy from my diet. My problems were stomach pain that wasn't relieved by any of the usual stomach pain remedies, but my doctor has told me that he's seeing that a lot - women who have IBS manifesting as stomach pain, rather than diarrhea or constipation.

What I take from all this is that the digestive system is nowhere near as well-understood as we think it is. If I had one thing to tell young adults, it's enjoy eating whatever you want, whenever you want, because chances are you're going to lose that ability before too long.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

My wife has an odd issue. If, for example, she eats watermelon two or more days in a row, her poo turns pink; if she has leafy greens for dinner two or more days in a row, it's green; if it's blueberries, it's bluish-purplish, and so on. My poo has never reflected what I've just eaten, except for maybe undigested corn kernels or nuts that haven't been chewed enough. I've told her to ask her doctor about it, but she says it's always been like that for her. What could be going on? Insufficient chewing? Or some other kind of digestive problem?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:10 PM

I believe it's pretty well known that if you have your gallbladder out a real fatty meal can lead to diarrhea. It happens more in some people than others. I had mine out but it doesn't happen much to me.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:17 PM

Amazing that an admin's posted twice in this thread and been so preoccupied with talking about her bowels that she's not noticed it's been resurrected from 2003.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
Not to dogpile but there's just no way the "it's not the food you just ate" thing is 100% true.

I think my record was like an hour.. maybe 2? Spinach heavy first course at a restaurant... stopped at the bathroom on the way out of the restaurant... nothing but spinach.
Yeah, I can sign on to this. I have definitely - many many many times in my life - shit out something that could not possibly have been anything other than what I ate an hour or 2 beforehand. I think it's been as quick as 45 minutes before. I won't say it's a "regular" occurance, but it's not exactly seldom, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malacandra View Post
Amazing that an admin's posted twice in this thread and been so preoccupied with talking about her bowels that she's not noticed it's been resurrected from 2003.
Amazing that you took the time out of your day to post something so rude.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
My wife has an odd issue. If, for example, she eats watermelon two or more days in a row, her poo turns pink; if she has leafy greens for dinner two or more days in a row, it's green; if it's blueberries, it's bluish-purplish, and so on. My poo has never reflected what I've just eaten, except for maybe undigested corn kernels or nuts that haven't been chewed enough. I've told her to ask her doctor about it, but she says it's always been like that for her. What could be going on? Insufficient chewing? Or some other kind of digestive problem?
It's not uncommon for otherwise healthy individuals to have different shades of colour according to the diet that they eat. Leafy greens do indeed produce green hues, and other shades can result from food colourants. Given the concentration of the pigments contained in blueberries I can easily imagine they impart colour too.

Obviously if it comes out a tarry-black it could well involve partially digested blood, and a good reason to see a doctor (or blood-red of course).

Colours are more apparent in yellower feces, which result from the liver and marrow processing fewer red blood cells, hence less bilirubin and its byproducts that normally stain the feces brown.

Last edited by The Urban Spaceman; 05-08-2010 at 07:01 PM..
Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Zombie diarrhea! Or maybe in this case, constipation. Hmmm.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Add me to the "it can't just be food from yesterday" crowd. I love bakery frosting, but it goes right through me. Colorfully so if the frosting was blue or purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
To add:

I will say it has given me empathy for women who have monthly cramps. While being a guy I can never know for sure but after describing it to my female friends they have said that what I described sounds awfully similar to cramps they experience.

All well and good to have that understanding but still; I'd be happier never knowing.
Yep, you're right they can feel a lot alike, but the worst kind of either type tends to feel bad in different ways (to me, anyway. the worst of intestinal cramps are a knife-like stabbing pain vs the worst menstrual cramps feeling like someone invisible doing psychic surgery on you and tearing your insides apart).

Last edited by elfkin477; 05-09-2010 at 01:18 PM..
Old 05-09-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudotriton ruber ruber View Post
I have the same thing. Not diarrhea, just normal but somewhat urgent "time to drop a load". It can be anything from just the smell of brewing coffee to 5 to 10 minutes into the first cup, and typically it is about a half hour after the first cup. If I don't have morning coffee, the morning exercise is generally much less predictable and much less urgent when the desire arises.

In my case, I think its a fair combination of "in the mind", "in the body",and "just that time of the morning" all working together.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe she did, but she could give a shit.

It is slight amusing, however, that the zombie creator signed up for just one post about his/her bowels.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranticMad View Post
I've noticed the OP effect, and it's real. I've seen bright green chopped spinach or parsley appears after 20 minutes of eating at a restaurant. And I hadn't eaten these at any other time within at least a month so it's not 24/48 hours old. I thought I was the only one who experienced this.
I've had recognizable just consumed foods come out the other end within minutes too.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:23 AM

I have noticed that every time I have ranch dressing I feel sick at night. And I'm sure its not anything I ate 12 to 24 hours before. I wonder if its an allergic reaction. My tummy starts to cramp and I end up with diarrhea for the night.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Double zombie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
It's not the new food being excreted, it's the food that has already traveled through your intestines. It's from meals eaten as long as 48 hours before.
Not everyone. I have diaorreahal IBS and after my third (urgent) BM of the morning, I am basically empty, every single day. Furthermore on occasion recognizable food has passed out of me, undigested, within a very short amount of time. One time apple => apple sauce in about 20-30 minutes, accompanied by violent cramps.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 AM

OMG, sorry, I can't pass up the chance to make a zombie reference twice in the same thread!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Unfortunately I seem to suffer from IBS and it sucks.

The main problems, for me, are two-fold:

1) I have no idea what causes it. Most times I am fine. I eat a very varied diet (I like lots of different kinds of food) and despite years of this and paying attention when it happens (relatively rare) I can find no rhyme or reason to it. I eat super spicy stuff with zero problems for instance. Best I have come up with is it happens when I drink from glasses that are washed at the bar. That is, I have a glass of beer and the glass was washed in the bar rinse tubs it seems more likely to happen. Even then it is not a sure thing but as a result I tend to drink from bottles while at a bar if I can. Frankly though I have no clue despite careful analysis to figure what it is.

2) Almost no one believes me (or rather they think I am making much ado about nothing and cannot believe it occurs so fast [hour or so] after eating) and almost no one understands how debilitating it is while it happens (it is painful and it is urgent). Literally there have been times when I am nowhere near a bathroom and seriously wondered if I was going to shit myself in public. Worse, those cases are usually when I am out with friends or family so the embarrassment will be with people I know well (thank Og so far that has never happened but been close a few times).

It is fairly rare for it to happen to me fortunately but not so uncommon that I don't worry about it. Totally ruins my evening if it does which can be really bad if on a first date (yep...that happened to me once).
ditto
Old 11-13-2011, 09:58 AM

Braiiins Poooooop!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Meat Puppet View Post
I have noticed a trend. When I eat at Chinese Buffet, I get bad diarrhea about 20 minutes after the meal is over.
Since this is a double zombie (and the OP is probably long gone) I ask, why would one continue to eat something that has a trend of giving you bad diarrhea?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Because he loves that shit!