Newfoundland-Lab mix (Dog breeds)

Could anyone tell me their experience with the personality’s and physical characteristics of mixed Newfoundland-Labradour retriever, or Newfoundland-Golden retriever?

I really like the characteristics I’ve read about the Newfoundland, and would like an idea of what I would see in these two mixed breeds.

Please note, I’m not really looking to get a dog immediately, and these are simply two mixed breeds I’m interested in at a pet rescue center near me.

As well, I know I can’t get real factual answers to these questions, but I hope someone with experience with these breeds and possibly with these mixed breeds could chime in?

You can’t necessarily count on a dog having certain characteristics just because of their breed, such as intelligence, or friendliness. Dogs are just as unique in personality and “smarts” as people are. You’ll need to spend some time with any dog that you’re interested in to see if the dog has what you want as well as suiting you and your lifestyle.

My dog is a Norwegian Elkhound/Golden Retriever mix. (Both parents were pure-bred. The Retriever escaped his yard, and a passionate, but brief affair ensued with the female Elkhound, resulting in * thirteen * adorable mutts.) In my dog, I got the best of both breeds, but I was careful in my selection, picking the puppy that had the best score on the quick Puppy Test I gave them.

Mutts really are the best dogs. They are less prone to genetic illnesses, and you have the chance of getting the best of the characteristics of both breeds. Just make sure you check the dog thoughoughly before taking them home with you.

Certainly, I understand that I really can’t rely on a breed’s usual characteristics in the case of a single dog. Still, the physical parts are fairly consistent (Newfoundland’s have long hair, etc.). As well, the behavioural characteristics, while more varied, do definitly have an inherited bias to them.

For example, my family used to have an English Springer Spaniel. She was a great dog, and while my mother did take her to obedience school while she was young, she was never trained for hunting or anything of the sort. Even so, there are a couple times that I can remember her scratching at the door wanting to come back inside, and when I went to let her in I found that she had a young bird (most likely fallen from its nest) in her mouth. The bird was completely unharmed (at least from my quick visual analysis). Other times while going for a walk with her I found that if she saw a bird or squirrel far away, instead of running barking at it (as she would if it were close), she’d stop dead still and hold a front paw up and her tail straight, pointing right at it. In these cases I would praise her, and think to myself how amazing it was that she would do these things without any training whatsoever.

So I suppose my question still stands, is there anything that in your experience could surprise me about these mixed breeds? While I haven’t had a chance to meet these particular dogs, from the general characteristics of the breeds I’d imagine their inherited behaviour would be likely to reinforce each other, with the dog being even more eager to play in the water, etc.

Once again, I’d just like to say that although I do value whatever responses I may get here, I certainly won’t be getting a dog based purely on others experiences. I wouldn’t consider getting a dog without having time to meet with him/her and seeing if we could get along.

My dog is a 13-year-old Newfie/? mix, and is the smartest, best-natured dog I have ever owned.

Just from basic, picked-up while reading dog magazines info, I’m thinking a Newfie/retriever mix would be fond of water, so I hope you have a pool/lake/river nearby. Newfies have a reputation for being very calm and (I thought) not a high-activity dog.

I respectfully disagree. If you get a dog from a responsible (key word there) breeder, you will most likely get a good tempered, healthy pet. Putting two different breeds together is a crapshoot which is why there are so many mutts at the pound. And on the flip side, indiscriminant breeding is why there are also so many purebreds at the pound.

Here’s a good website on how to find a responsible breeder:
http://www.flyball.com/fastfourward/goodbreeder.html

And here is another about the current “poo” dog craze:
Much Ado About Poo

I also have to respectfully disagree. There is a myth that mutts are less prone to genetic illnesses and that simply is not true. If two dogs with hip dysplasia are bred then there is a high probabilty that the litter is going to have hip dysplasia. Newfs are also prone to Sub valvular aeortic stenosis, cystinuria, hypothyrodism and elbow displaysia. Please think twice before you think of breeding these two breeds. I have been around newfies for 35 years and know alot about them. Yes they are good tempered but it does take training and love. I have four newfs now and I have one that I would never breed even though he is show quality…he loves to push my buttons too much. Newfs also shed and drool and require alot of maintenance. Please re think this.

Well considering that Newfoundland and Labrador is a single province, maybe the Newf/Lab mix can actually be thought of as a purebred…:slight_smile:

Not really, they are two separate breeds bred for two different things and should be kept that way. I really don’t like this new designer breed fad sweeping thru America. People breed dogs that they shouldn’t be breeding and when they know nothing about canine genetics or anything about breeding period.

I had a Newfoundland/Golden mix pup. Unfortunately, she died. But damn, she was cute!

Hrmm… I think there may have been a misunderstanding here. I’m not looking to breed any dogs, mixed breeds or not. As well, I’m not looking for a ‘designer’ breed. I’m just looking for some information about possible consequences of these particular mixed breeds. The post was simply brought to mind as a pet rescue shelter near me has Newfoundland mixed breeds available for adoption.

When you say “lab/Newfie mix”. I think “a big goofy dork.”

Obviously I’m not near this dog to test it’s personality, nor do I know it’s appearance (is it on Petfinder.com?) so it’s hard to guess since all dogs are different, regardless of breeding.

I’m guessing it’s floofy, big and will love water. So I’d say, be prepared to brush a lot, do some obedience training so it doesn’t drag you around, and off to a lake to take it swimming. Do you want a big wet dog in the car? Does it drool? Newfies have those loose flews and tend to let loose with the saliva.

Have you sat with anyone at the shelter and discussed this dog? Taken it for walks? That would be the best way to really gauge this dog and see if it’s a good mix for you. I have no idea if you work, have kids or what type of home you’re in, so that’s a whole other issue. The shelter people should give you the third degree in this department. If they don’t, don’t adopt from there.

(An as for the whole hybrid vigor thing, well, a dog is only the product of what went into it. There’s no magic mutt gene that prevents them from getting sick.)

Oh, and to add:

I know that labs/goldens are starting to have a lot of problems with hip/elbow dysplasia. Newfies too. So you may just want to keep that in mind. I’m not trying to scare you off this dog, I just think you should be aware of possible issues.

One thing that might take you by surprise is how hard-headed some labs and goldens can be. I don’t mean stupid (although a few undoubtedlly are), I mean flat-out pig stubborn.They can make things a real challenge sometimes. Combine that with the size and strength of a Newfie, and you could have a problem.

Labs also shed like hell, far more than you’d expect from a short-haired dog. If you object to large quantities of long hair everywhere and constant brushing and grooming, you won’t be happy with this trait.

Well, newfs do shed and drool alot. They are prone to many genetic disorders as so are Goldens. Goldens tend to be a bit neurotic due to bad breeding. I would spend as much time as I possibly could with the dog before making the decision. Newfs are quite large ( my largest weighs 195 lbs) and take a long time to finish growing. How old is the dog? It may not be finished growing yet.

If it was a purebred Newf, I would worry about it’s care and feeding during it’s puppyhood, as they must be fed properly for proper bone growth. However, that may not be as much of an issue with a mix.

I have no experience with Newf mixes, but I do have experience with purebred Newfs.

Large, lovable, messy, loyal, great with kids. Will fit their activity to YOUR lifestyle- if you are active, the dog will be too, but he is just as happy to hang out on the couch.

A mix may solve the drooling problem- look closely at this dog while at the shelter, especially after drinking water. Think Turner & Hootch. I have drool 6 feet up my walls from strong head-shaking. Also, daily brushing is a must, as is a good vet who knows your breed very well.

Although they are huge, they don’t necessarily need to eat a ton of food. Check with your vet. A strict diet can help relieve pressure on joints in big dogs.

Our Newfs range from 135 lbs (bitch) to 170 lbs (dogs), with an average of about 150 lbs. They take up a lot of room in the house, on the bed and on the couch.

They are the most amazing, loving, gentle giants I have ever known, and I highly recommend the breed to experienced large-breed owners.

A mix could be lovely. Spend as much time as you can with the dog, and get as much history as you can on how it was raised, the sire and bitch, etc. Good luck and have fun!

Certainly, if you want a dog for one of those two things. But most people who get labs are not looking for a dog to retrieve birds for them, they’re looking for a pet. Likewise with Newfs, though I’m not sure what purpose they were bred for. But so far as I know, there’s no breed of dog which was bred for the purpose of being a pet, so you can’t get the exact specific breed you’re looking for.

I think this was meant as a geography joke!

I didn’t mean to say that any mixed dog would definately be free of any possible genetic illness, just that it’s a bit less likely.

Perhaps I’m a bit prejudiced against pure-bred dogs. I would never consider buying a pedigreed animal when there are so many adorable mutts in the pound, who are not long for this world unless they find a good home quickly. But that’s just me, and I don’t have anything against those who do prefer a pure-bred dog.

You’re right that the most important factor is finding a reputable breeder. My mother had a bad experience with a dog who was severely in-bred. She thought the dealer was a good one, but found out differently once it was too late.

“Likewise with Newfs, though I’m not sure what purpose they were bred for”

Newfs were bred for the purpose of pulling in fishing nets, pulling carts and as water rescue dogs. Their exploits as water rescue dogs are notorious and were always kept on board fishing boats in case anyone fell off. They were extensively used in Newfoundland and especially in and around the city of St. Johns.