Pretenders to the Throne

Is there a list out there with the names of every claiment to a now-defunct throne? The only work along these lines that I have found dates from the 1970’s.

The throne of which country, may I ask?

I suppose there are several nations that are no longer monarchies. Among those, some have living heirs to the defunct throne living in exile someplace. Iran comes to my mind, for example.

Royalty Who Wait: The 21 Heads of Formerly Regnant Houses of Europe by Olga S. Opfell.

Every country which at one point in the last few hundred years had a reigning monarch that no longer has one now.

Oh boy-you don’t want much, do you?

There’s probably about 100 former thrones in Germany alone!

:eek:

All right then, since I’m not going to get it for every throne, how about just for all the thrones vacated since 1900?

All right then, since I’m not going to get it for every throne, how about just for all the thrones vacated since 1900?

Here are the royal families of Europe, both regnant and not, as of WWII. It might give you a place to start.

http://gsteinbe.intrasun.tcnj.edu/royalty/royalty.html

Countries which have abolished monarchies since 1900: Afghanistan, Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Central African Republic (nee Empire), China, Egypt, Ethiopia, Germany (including several constituent states), Greece, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Laos, Libya, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Yugoslavia, Montenegro, Turkey, Vietnam, and Yemen. Last monarch to fall: Emperor Bokassa I of Central Africa, or, if his absurd three-year reign is considered to ephemeral to count, the Shah of Iran.

I don’t know where to find the pretenders to all of these thrones. Keep in mind that disputes over nonexistent thrones are often even nastier than those over real thrones, since they are never resolved. (Just ask Guinastasia about the Romanov heirs.)

Or, this might be better for you:

http://www.btinternet.com/~allan_raymond/Monarchies_of_Europe_Former_Reigning.htm

Before you ask why I posted the same message three times, I had a problem with the computer, resulting in what you see above.

Check out “Dagobert’s Revenge” magazine, at www.dagobertsrevenge.com. Remember “Holy Blood, Holy Grail,” that book from late '70s, by three BBC journalists, about the theory that Jesus of Nazareth not only had children, but those children were ancestors of the Merovingian kings of the Franks and the Austrian Hapburgs? Sure you do! Well, apparently a lot of people have gotten interested in the idea – the magazine is about “Musick, Magick and Monarchism.” (It also pays a lot of attention to certain kinds of bands.) (Dagobert was a Merovingian king who was assassinated under mysterious circumstances – this, of course, was generations before Charlemagne.)

Apparently there are now several persons who publicly claim some connection with the “Grail Blood.” Only one, however, is an active royal claimant: Prince Michael of Albany! A Belgian who wants to be King of Scots! Website at www.royalhouseofstewart.org.uk. Prince Michael, or Michael Lafosse, claims he is the rightful heir of the Scottish Royal Stewarts (he spells the name in the original, Scottish way, rather than the Frenchified “Stuart”). His purported ancestor is Edward James Stuart, Bonnie Prince Charlie’s legitimate son (unknown to conventional history books) by his second marriage (likewise). Prince Michael claims to be descended from Jesus (or at least he has allowed his “historiographer royal,” Laurence Gardner, to make this claim for him, in Gardner’s book “Bloodline of the Holy Grail.”) However, he does not make much of this claim and seems to think being descended from Mary, Queen of Scots, is much more important to him than being descended from Jesus. He also claims, by the way, to be descended from the Prophet Mohammed.

Prince Michael’s claims are disputed by many, especially the more traditional “Jacobites” (at members.rogers.com/jacobite) who support the claim of Prince Franz von Wittelsbach, Duke of Bavaria (a collateral descendant of the royal Stuarts), to be the true and rightful king of England, Scotland, Ireland and (yes) France. A cursory web search can also easily turn up Evangelicals who regard Prince Michael as the Antichrist, or at least a good candidate for the role.

If you read Laurence Gardner’s books, royalty and government were first established on earth by the Anunnaki (Annunaki?) gods of Sumer, who were extraterrestrial or extradimensional beings, or else humans genetically modified by such. Thus, true royalty are not merely the descendants of generals or pirates who got lucky, they are descendants of superhuman beings. A lot of the “Dagobert’s Revenge” crowd seem to share this view.

Monarchism is fun!