Does buying a Cat Stevens album support terrorism?

I know that Cat Stevens has changed his name and converted to Islam, but I also seem to recall charges that he has given financial support to Hamas. Does he still receive royalties from his albums, and if so, will buying one help support terrorism?

I made a point of looking for Cat Stevens’ statements following 9/11. He seems pretty unequivical in his opinions that terrorism has nothing to do with real Islam:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=101449

On the Hamas accusation:

http://catstevens.com/articles/00203/

I would be surprised if he is directly supporting an openly terrorist organization. I would not be surprised if he is supporting a supposedly non-terrorist Muslim group whose intentions have been hijacked, or who could be accused of playing into the hands of more radical groups.

You will note this quote from the second article:

I believe Yusef Islam (the former Cat Stevens) to be a man with a sincere faith and good intentions. At worst, he may have gotten duped a few times.

Well, he did support a call for the death of an author whose novel offended some moslems. Since the effect of such a call is to silence people through fear, I consider it terrorism.

(This is a second-hand excerpt of a New York Times article, so I’m not sure it’s 100 percent accurate, but it gets the gist of what was reported at the time.

He has since tried to distance himself from the negative publicity surrrounding these comments, but he has never, AFAIK, said it was wrong to call for Rushdie’s death. This doesn’t mean that buying his records will fund terrorism, but I wouldn’t want to give him any of my money.

Yabob has given you good information.

If, after his help, you still feel worried, then you should not buy the new CD. As we say in rape-prevention classes, “trust your gut.” It’s never a good idea to talk yourself into doing things that you feel might be wrong.

Well, you could always buy a used copy, for which royalties have presumably already been paid.

Here is a recent statement by Yusuf Islam (FKA Cat Stevens) regarding his comments on Rushdie.