How do veterinarians euthanize animals?

Yesterday we had to have our chowchow euthanized after he had become paralyzed. The vet said she was going to do it with an overdose of anesthetic. Why didn’t he just peacefully go to sleep? While it was over very quickly, he did bark as though he was uncomfortable. Do they really use an overdose of anesthetic, or is it something else? I wouldn’t exactly have called it “putting him to sleep.” Not sure I really want an answer, but would feel better to know he wasn’t suffering in any way when he died. Thanks to anyone who knows.

Here is an article about how pet euthanasia is done. Your dog’s bark may been caused by this:

Rest assured he did not suffer.

I’m very sorry for your loss and for the difficult decision you had to make.

Most vets use an overdose injection of phenobarbitol (do they sometimes use ketamine?). Such a dose does not instantly cause sleep; instead, it begins a rapid shutdown of the nervous system, which includes dizziness and disorientation, then unconsciousness, until finally breathing stops. Suddenly going all wonky must be as distressing for a dog as for an unsuspecting human, but it wouldn’t have been painful.

Why phenobarbitol instead of, say, sodium pentathol (which I probably just butchered the spelling of)?

I just want to say how sorry I am for your loss. I know your dog was your baby. It took a lot of love to do what you did.

Why not? They’re both pretty effective barbiturates. Pentathal is shorter acting, and has a lower lethal dose as a result, but giving the meds IV push delivers the necessary dose just as quick. I expect both barbiturates would deliver demise pretty much the same way.

With great trepidation.

Thank you Lissa. Now I understand. The vet did say that “vocalization” might occur because of his age. Poor old geezer. Thanks for the sympathy everyone. But I do feel a little better now.

When they put our Westie to sleep, I believe first the vet gave her something to make her sleep, then the drug that would actually put her down. She went very peacefully and quickly.

The vets have always just told me they made cotton candy…