Record number of citizenships

Greetings.

My friend Sammy has three citizenships by birth (two from nations recognizing jus sanguinis, and one from a nation recognizing jus soli). This gets me thinking, what is the highest number of citizenships currently (or ever) held by a single person at one time? Obviously one can’t be a citizen of every country, since some of them require you to renounce your current citizenship(s) in order to be naturalized, and some of them strip you of naturalized citizenship if you’re not resident in their territory for a long period of time. But I think there are enough of them without these rules that in a single lifetime, one ought to be able to acquire several extra citizenships through naturalization.

So what’s the straight dope? Anyone know of anyone who has five, six, seven, or more citizenships? I’d like to exclude honourary citizenships extended to famous people, as I take it those usually don’t extend the same benefits (right to residency, social services, vote, work, etc.) to the holder as real citizenship.

Well, I know a couple of people with three at birth (U.S., Bosnian, and Croatian in one case, and Salvadoran, U.S., and British in another). In addition, my college roomie, the mother of Examples #2 above, will soon have three total (with two of those by naturalization: Salvadoran by birth, U.S. by naturalization, and soon U.K. by naturalization). Since she is only 34, and her husband has a penchant for long teaching stints overseas, I can certainly envison a situation where she’d end up with one or two more in her lifetime. Three is also the most I’ve seen, though.