Why does the key get stuck in the ignition?

Same question as title.

Many cars have a key-release lever or other mechanism to keep the key locked in place until you release it.

There’s a discussion of ignition lock problems in this thread:
Help! I cannot turn the key in my previa.

well, I would be glad to give you insight on some of the things that might be going on… Yet you neglected the fact that the devil is in the details.
What kind of car is it? year make and model?
Is this a new key or an old key?
Is this a new problem or has it gotten worse over time?

Without knowing this I can only make general guesses.

1. A wafer (or pin) depending on the lock in the vehicle might be sticking. Using a teflon based lubricate spray such as triflow might solve the problem.
  2. the lock is no longer turning back completely to the off position.
    3)A wafer might be bent and not moving free as it should

If this is an automatic transmission, the vehicle might no longer be going back into Park completely preventing the lock from turning back all the way.
If this is a Later model Ford, the “ears” on the lock cylinder might have broken loose. This will allow the “ears” to be turned back and yet not allow the key to get back into position.
If this is a new key… the key might have been cut poorly and the slope on one or more of the rises between the cuts might be to sharp of an angle to allow the wafer (or pin) to rise and fall smoothly when you pull the key out.

If you can add some details I might be able to add some additional information.

You could also take the vehicle by one of your local locksmith shops and have them take a look at it.

Osip
SDMB token locksmith

It’s a 1997 Make: Plymouth, Model: Breeze

jiggle your steering wheel left to right, and make sure the car is in park and the button that you press to move the shifter isnt stuck in even a bit, make sure its fully extended… assuming this is an automatic.

The most common reasons for a key stuck in the ign on a chrysler product are:

1: Vehicle not completely in park
2: bent wafer
3: Stuck Wafer
4: a bad copy or bent key

When this happened to my Ford I had to replace the lock cylinder.(aboot a $20 part)

The locksmith took 5min to tell me how to do it, and it took me 15min to actually do it.

He would have charged me 60.00 to do it. (60 hr, 1hr min)

Just a thought

Or the key could be old, you know they usually have two sides so you can use the other side when one side is sticky. I would get a new key made just in case. Maybe from the key code so its a perfect original.