Why do humans have pubic hair?

I mean, what’s it good for?

HUH!!! Absolutely nothin’!!!

I don’t think it is a coincidence that our hairy bits are also smelly bits. Pubic & underarm hair make it easier to waft our scent about.

Lubrication. In other words, it buffers the skin-on-skin contact from walking (swinging arms and moving legs) and other activities so the skin does not chaff (or worse).

But those under age 9 are immune from the chaffing of walking and running?

You got pubic hair at age 9? Good god, I must be a really late bloomer…as for its use? Helps support the evolution theory? Ok, I have no idea…Margo

pheromones.
The coarseness of pubic hair allows the oils to spread and allows air movement through them to spead the smells. Even the oils and scents in the underarm can be very arousing as long as bacteria doesnt accumulate and cause the bad smelling b.o. we are all familiar with.

Yeah well i heard that from everyone,at least a few years later i was no longer a freak:D

As for its purpose,my opinion is that its a indicator of sexual maturity,and also draws the eye and attention to the area;).

The explanation I remember, from a magazine article about the pros and cons of shaving if I recall, was protection. For example, you don’t want dust and other unpleasantries getting into your vagina, so they get trapped in the surrounding fuzz. Makes sense, but doesn’t explain armpits or male hair.

I was watching The Sunday Night Sex Show once and according to the sex therapist Sue Johannson, it is there to waft our natural smells about. I guess it is supposed to be a sexual turn-on.

While I don’t doubt that it aids in distributing scent, it should also be noted that many, if not most, mammals develop some form of additional hair cover with sexual maturity. This might be a mane or a bush tail or whiskers, but it’s fairly widespread. It’s reasonable to assume that pubic hair exists to some degree to serve the same functions: to signal that the owner is potentially fertile and receptive and hence worth courting, to threaten potential rivals and to ensure that juveniles aren’t targeted in fights over mating rights.

Q. What is pubic hair for?

A. Nature’s Dental Floss !:smiley:

Cecil writes:

What’s the purpose of pubic hair?

friction reduction?

I have no biological evidence to back this up, but could it be a temperature distribution thing, like coat colouring in cats (eg siamese cats have dark “points” on the extremities where the body temperature is colder).

I guess my logic for this would be as follows- groin, axilla and head are some of the regions of the body which consistantly have high skin temperatures. Therefore, to prevent excessive heat loss, insulation is needed in these areas.
Cool in summer, warm in winter.

I always figured it was to lighten impact myself.

At least that’s how I use it.

Itr’s there so that the crabs have something to grab on to.

Emphasis and decoration. Cuteness enhancement.

And something to run your fingers through and tangle them up in gently when you’re lying side by side afterwards.

Or before :slight_smile:

Holy cow, you must be reaaaallly hairy.

Isn’t the real question, Why don’t humans have hair everywhere?
All the other primates do.