The blue stuff barbers put the comb in

OK, they use it, I believe, to keep things hygienic. Now what about the all the other things they use? I was thinking about it while I was getting the hair shaved off the back of my neck after, a cut, with the electric clippers. This thing digs in to me more than the comb does and they all seem to just toss the thing into the drawer after use.
???

‘Barbicide’ - I’ve seen it there on the counter, but I’ve never seen them put something in or take it out; maybe it is just for show.

Ditto on the barbacide.
one of the places i get my haircut keeps all the clippers in a room seperate room, adn the assistants go get the one they want. maybe they have them all in barbacide out back or something.

i’ve never seena nything sitting in it either. and i remebr the bottle used to be full to the same level every time i went. maybe a jar lasts exactly a month, and so i always saw it at the same lever. Doubtfull.
me think it’s for show.

p.s, i’ve had the top of my ear mulched by a mental hairdresser, she didnt notice till it started bleeding.(clippers)
grrr.

Barbacide? You mean they use it to kill barbers?

Barbaric!

Google is your friend…

From here.

Thank you. That was not the question
Did you read my post?

No, it is for the humane disposal of disproportionate plastic fashion dolls.

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking if they used the stuff to disinfect some things and not others (and if so what they disinfected the other stuff with) and the link seems to imply that they use it for everything. Or have I not had enough coffee yet?

I usually go to places like Supercuts for my haircuts because whenever I find a nice local barber I like, he immediately retires.

Anyway, at chain places like those, they almost always spray something onto the clipper blades before using it on someone new. The last time I paid attention to it, it was an aerosol can of “Oster Spray Disinfectant”.

You can buy it online if you google for it. I have no idea what it contains, but apparently not only does it kill infectious agents, it also helps prevent mold and mildew on your clippers, which for some reason gives me the willies (mold that can grow on metal clipper blades? yikes!)

Gonna hijack this thread a bit. I read a piece about the guy who invented the stuff. He lived in Queens, IIRC, and got hair nits and other assorted hair and scalp maladies when he was a tyke going to public school. He invented Barbacide to help prevent others from going through what he did.

He mixed up the first batch in his bathtub or in a stewpot or something equally homespun. The blue dye was purely a cosmetic touch to convey a medicinal aura, I believe. The same family still makes Barbacide in a small Queens plant.

B&I: Getting back to your OP question–my uncle, who’s a barber, never just throws things back into the drawer when he’s done. He has a “sterilizer”–a metal box with two “bug-zapper” lights inside. The heat and UV radiation are supposed to kill off any infection or nits that are still on the combs, clippers, etc. I guess it works. I haven’t taken a close look at it for a while, so I don’t know who manufactures it or much of its detail.