The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 05-14-2003, 02:12 PM

How do you get the back off a watch?

I have to change the battery in my watch, because the digits are starting to fade in and out. But there seems to be no groove or slot in the round part of the back. Obviously the round area is the part that pops off or turns or something, but what does it?

The drugstore I got it at said they don't replace batteries, and the jeweler next door sniffed he didn't have time for a Timex customer!
Advertisements  
Old 05-14-2003, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

usually, a sharp knife can be used to pry it off. If you look closely, you'll see a tiny notch or a small tab wre the edge of the knife goes. But be warned. These types of backs are often next to impossible to put back on without a special press. You can do it with C clamp and some wood, in a pinch.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:24 PM

That's strange that the jeweler won't do it; that's what they're supposed to do. There's a watch specialty store near where I live which will replace the battery on any watch for $5 (plus the five seconds of their time that it takes to do it).

I don't know--try looking up "Watch Shops" in your Yellow Pages. Or...is it a really cheap-o digital watch? Maybe this is the type where you're not supposed to replace the battery, just chuck the watch in the trash and buy a new one? Not having owned a digital in 20 years or so, I'm just assuming that's a possibility.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:37 PM

Can the back be pried off or only unscrewed? If there are three little notchs around it then it likely needs unscrewed and there's a special tool just for that. They did mine recently at Target for the price of the battery ~$4 - you may try a bigger store like Target or WalMart that sells watches/jewelry.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:17 PM

Watch Backs

All the above is correct. As far as I know there are 3 different ways a back goes on (or off).

1- Pressure fit. As said look for a indentation, normally found at one side where the band mounts.

2- Screw fit. Look for the three dimples on the edges of the back. A jeweller's spanner wrench is used for it.

3- Held on with 4 screws. Remove the screws with a jeweller's screw driver.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:16 PM

Try using the tip of a nail file to pry the back off.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:20 PM

On my "nice" watch, I had to jump through hoops to find someone to do it, but any jeweler at the mall would do my Timex (which, incidently, was found between the cushions of the sofa two years after I lost it, and was STILL TICKING!) Gotta love a good American product, huh?
Old 05-14-2003, 05:54 PM

Big friggin' hammer. Maybe a chisel and a large rock. Off in a second. Getting it back on is another story.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:59 PM

I had the same problem. At the watch shop they did it for me with a very thin knife.

For the watch man it was trivial, but I spent half an hour, a lot of aggrivation, scratched my watch, and I still couldn't do it myself. Having the right tool probably makes a big difference.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:06 PM

I used to work for a jewelers.
A common sceanrio was that a customer would pop off the back, put in the battery and replace the back.

they did not, however, take into account that many watches have a thin rubber seal. This seal is often not put in correctly or ruined upon back placement.

The watch works fine.... until water gets on it.

Most places like Target and Walmart (I think) will replace batteries.