Does boiling your whites (laundry) really work?

Someone recently posted about not being able to find Bleach in Europe because they generally boil their whites rather than bleaching. Does that really work? As well as bleach? Doesn’t boiling destroy the fabric? What if you boil with bleach? How does boiling get your laundry white? Where do the stains go?

Why don’t Americans use European style washing machines? Why don’t they use ours?

>> Someone recently posted about not being able to find Bleach in Europe because they generally boil their whites rather than bleaching.

Í am quite sure that is not true and bleach can be found in Europe quite easily. I have never heard of anywhere where people boild clothes because they do not have bleach.

Regarding washing machines, there are several reasons but European front loaders tend to be smaller.

I didn’t mean they boiled because they didn’t have bleach. I know they do have bleach. They just don’t use bleach for whitening their laundry, so it isn’t as available in stores. No?

More likely, they boil the clothing to destroy germs, which bleach does, but it probably wouldn’t do much to whiten whites. I remember seeing bleach at the store when I was in the UK…

Super hot water does a better job of washing clothes than bleach. You can by bleach all over Europe, as far as I know. Maybe when I walk in the stores, they say, “oops, yank - put out some bleach boys!” and restock the stores just for me!

Front-loading machines come in all sizes, and can be found in the US of A and often times are blue-star energy magic machines good for discounts on your utility bills. Whee.

Here’s an easy way to look at the diff between front-loaders and conventional US machines. Using a conventional US machine is like swishing the laundry around in a tub. Using a front-loader is like washing something by running water through it - the clothes never sit in dirty water. Additionally, many front-loaders heat their own water, and so can wash with super-duper hot hot water for those whiter than white whitest whites without using any bleach.

I’ve never heard of boiling whites.

However, from my days as a laundromat owner - one or two capfuls of amonia and a couple of tennis balls in the washer do wonders on getting clothes clean. The amonia loosens the dirt between the fibers and the tennis balls beat it out!

Hot water does tend to wear the fabric fibers down as does bleach. Probably, tennis balls and amonia do as well. But then again, so does ground in dirt, accumulated dirt and soap residue.

Speaking of which, most soap/detergent manufacturers recommend using much more than necessary to do the job. Folks tend to think the more suds, the more cleaning action which is - Poppycock. Half a capful works just as well as a whole capful, it cheaper, and better for your clothing.

Thus ends the laundry lesson!

Cheers, Miss Amelia

So, what would you want to put bleach in with your clothes for anyway? To get clothes clean dont you just use detergent?

I thought bleach was just used to wash the bathroom floor or sterilise things.

The other thread: Bleach in Germany?

Ok, so why does hot water do a better job than bleach?

BTW, I just tested it. Soaked/simmered some not so white socks in very, very hot but not quite boiling water for a couple hours a la the supposed European way. They don’t look that much whiter than hot water & bleach a la the 'Mericun way. In fact, may be a bit less white than the bleach would have gotten them.

antechinus, yes that’s what detergent is for. But bleach you know, bleaches things.

levdrakon, European washers don’t just use very high temperatures, they also have very long cycles. The two combined, plus a good detergent, is what gets whites white without chlorine bleach. Soaking whites on the stove won’t give the same results, because there’s no agitation. You need constant agitation in order to flex the fibres of the fabric and loosen dirt.

There are quite a few European machines available in the US (see www.miele.com and www.askousa.com for some examples). Likewise, there are some American models available here in the UK too. However, our penchant for installing washers under a counter limits their popularity here, hence why we tend to stick to front loaders with front-mounted controls.

We have front loading washers here in the US, mainly in laundrymats. I always use them when I get the chance. I’m one of those poor people who actually do enjoy watching the clothes go 'round. But they don’t heat the water. Where is the heating element in a front loading Yurpean washer?

Seems to me, even if using less water, heating it & agitating it for so long would use more energy.

Using ammonia in the laundry. Heard of it, never tried it. Anyone else here tried it?

I do use tennis balls in the laundry, mainly with blankets & pillows. Keeps things fluffy.

See what the EPA has to say!

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=clotheswash.pr_clothes_washers

See what the EPA has to say!

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=clotheswash.pr_clothes_washers
or find some greenie sites with more detailed information.

Although Norwegian washing machines can heat water to 95 degrees C (which people call “boiling” even though it isn’t), I don’t know anyone who routinely washes all white clothing at that temperature. 60 for cottons and 40 for synthetics, or 40 for everything, are much more common. Those who use the super-hot water usually do so for dirty rags, the sheets the kid threw up on, and so on - things that are very dirty and presumably very germy.

Whites get white just fine at 60 or even 40 degrees, without bleach - provided you rinse all the detergent out. Top-loading washing machines, unfortunately, do not rinse thoroughly, particularly in the short cycles of American machines.

So white equals clean? Oohhh-kay.

A really interesting concept. People dyeing their laundry instead of washing it. :wink:

Well, bleach is some really harsh, caustic stuff - I daresay it’d kill more germs than normal soap detergent.

As a part of this question, don’t the super high temps that some of the machines with heaters can reach damage/shrink the cottons and other fabrics?

Nope, because you only use those temperatures on items which can withstand such treatment, typically towels, sheets and the like. As flodnak mentioned, lower temps are available for “general” laundry, which doesn’t need such intensive washing.

levdrakon, the heater is situated in the sump area of the outer tub, underneath the inner drum. Regarding energy usage, check the EnergyStar website and compare the numbers for yourself. It might seem counter-intuitive, but heated front loaders are generally more energy efficient than UNheated top loaders which fill from your hot water supply. In short, it all comes down to the fact that you’re using less water to begin with, and also because the machine only heats the water it uses instead of a whole tankful.

Having said that, if a top loader with an occasional shot of bleach works well for you, by all means stick with it! Whichever method you’re most comfortable with is the right way to go, because there can be quite a learning curve when switching from one to the other.

I knew a girl who did just that. Only way she could get her whites white enough. I think she had bad, rusty water or something. She didn’t do it thinking they came out cleaner or anything, but they looked better.

j.c., ok, ok. If I’m ever in the position to buy a new washer 'O my choice, it’ll be a greenie tree-hugging front loader! :slight_smile: