The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-03-2003, 05:50 PM

My iron pills make me sick. Remedies?

I've recently been diagnosed with anemia and prescribed iron pills (Hemocyte Plus, specifically.) I was warned to take them with food or they'd upset my stomach, so I do take them with food, but they still make me miserable.

Unfortunately, they also work for all the symptoms I went into the doctor's for in the first place.

So before I call her and ask about alternative medications, I was wondering if anybody had any simpler, easier fix - are there certain foods that work better, is there something I can take for nausea and upset stomach that won't interfere with the iron pills, anything like that. Suggestions?
Advertisements  
Old 06-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Are these the sort of pills you break into halves or even quarters? If so, perhaps you can take a smaller dose more often. For example if you have to take one pill a day, try taking a half a pill twice a day. You'll still get the same daily dose, but spread out so your stomach doesn't get cross about it.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:58 PM

No, I take whole pills, twice a day.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:08 PM

Hemocyte Plus is a LOT of iron - 324mg Ferrous Fumarate. By contrast, the amount of iron in Twin Labs Iron Caps is 18mg Ferrous Fumarate - 100% of the US RDA for iron. You're currently taking 18x the RDA for iron. I realise you're under a doctor's supervision, but it is possible that you're simply getting too much iron for your body to assimilate.

Nausea, stomach pains, and vomiting are symptoms of iron poisoning; you may be experiencing a low-grade effect of too much iron. I'd suggest you contact your doctor and discuss your symptoms with her, and possibly ask for a lower dose of iron & see how you do with it. Any time you have adverse affects from prescribed medications or vitamins, you need to talk to your doctor about it, even if it seems like it's "nothing."

FWIW, I was diagnosed with serious anemia last year and have been doing just fine with the RDA of 18mg per day (YMMV, of course).
Old 06-03-2003, 06:19 PM

A quick correction - somehow the fact you're taking two pills per day just sunk in. That means you'd be taking 648mg of Ferrous Fumarate (iron) - 36x the US RDA (not 18x as in my original post). Sorry about that.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:58 AM

Actually, 324mg of ferrous fumarate only contains 106mg of iron. (Cite).

200mg a day is still a lot of iron, though.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:03 AM

Do you like liver?
Maybe you could up your intake of iron containing foods in the mean time.

I can't even take iron in multivit tablets as it makes me sick, and that's just the RDA.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:05 AM

Iron pills tend to make my wife nauseous. She switched to a liquid iron supplement (Floradix brand I believe) and it helped immeasurably. You should check with your doctor/health practitioner to make sure everything is ok though.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:19 AM

For iron, I drink Guinness. Much more fun than taking a pill.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:23 AM

More fun maybe, but hardly as efficacious. A pint of the black stuff contains only 0.3mg of iron. Cite.

To get as much Fe as there is in one bowl of Weetabix, you'd have to drink 14 pints. I guarantee the Weetabix will make you feel better.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:48 AM

When I was anemic, my doctor put me on the 2 pills a day, which made me nauseous. When I called him about it, he switched me to 1 pill a day, taken at bedtime with milk. That way the nausea came while I was asleep. He also put me on the Geritol liquid to help "build me up". It has Iron and B vitamins. It tastes nasty, but didn't make me as nauseous. Just a thought...
Old 06-04-2003, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I have to take 3 pills a day, 325 mg. of ferrous sulfate. I was miserable for a while, and I was hesitant to take that much, but when I skipped a pill a day, my tests still came back too low.

When I took them on an empty stomach was the worst. My doc told me to take them with meals to help ease the symptoms. That was OK, but I find that it works best when I take them in the middle of the meal. So I eat half, take a pill, then finish eating. Now I don't have any problem at all as long as I keep my fiber intake up. (I just found All Bran - Extra Fiber cereal. Low in carbs, high in fiber. Just the thing for a diabetic anemic like me.)
Old 06-04-2003, 10:45 AM

I was told to take the "Slow FE". Regular iron pills were making me nauseous as well, but the "Slow FE" seemed to do the trick. As far as foods, try eating those high in Vitamin C along with your pills, it's helps your body absorb the iron.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by r_k
More fun maybe, but hardly as efficacious. A pint of the black stuff contains only 0.3mg of iron. Cite.

To get as much Fe as there is in one bowl of Weetabix, you'd have to drink 14 pints. I guarantee the Weetabix will make you feel better.
Oops. Guess I fell for an old myth. Oh well, time to give up Guinness.1

1 Not!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 AM

I juzt realized the date of these posts! I came to it through a Google search but if anyone else sees this maybe they can help me. My Dr. said my iron levels came back extremely low and put me on Ferrous Fumarate 100 mg three times a day. The pharmacist said to take it on an empty stomach as the iron would not absorb if you have food or even milk/juice. I started taking them yesterday and by this morning they are making me vomit! Not even just nauseau... I could NOT hold anything in. I hate throwing up! So now I am not sure what to do? If I take it with food then my iron levels won't go up and if I take it on empty stomach makes me sick. I think 900 mg/day is quite a bit though?
Thanks for any help!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Medical advice is better suited to IMHO than GQ, so I have moved this.

Also, those responding should note this thread dates to 2003.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM

The last time I had a particularly exhausting bout of anemia, I suffered through the pills for a while, taking just plain Feosol until my first retest. I also tried changing birth control to seasonique for fewer periods, but that didn't really work for me, so I gave up on it.

After that, I decided to fix my shit through diet and I haven't had trouble since. I have either frosted shredded wheat (I hate total and it's one of the few that has 100% of your RDA of iron per serving) or Cream of Wheat for breakfast every freaking morning, without fail, I keep dried apricots on hand as snacks, and I make sure I get red meat at least once or twice a week.

I haven't tested low at a physical in a couple of years, and I haven't had any of the crushing fatigue I get when I'm anemic, either.

/edit. Dammit! Are braaains high in iron?

Last edited by Vihaga; 08-18-2011 at 10:02 AM..
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Also, those responding should note this thread dates to 2003.
I trust that Zsofia has worked something out, but others with iron issues may be interested in this list (small PDF) of foods that supply iron.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:14 PM

You know, I just kind of quit taking those damned things. I should probably be on something, though. I do usually test barely high enough to give blood.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 PM

i developed anemia after giving too much blood over too short a period of time. my hematologist suggested five weeks of transfusions, once a week. i responded so well to it he cut it to four weeks and i was back to normal.

ymmv, depending on the type of anemia, but i'd check with your doctor about them.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Zsofia, if you can find a children's chewable vitiman with iron, you might try those. Adult iron supplements give me nausea, but the kids stuff (if I can remember to take them before bed) have been working for me.
Sweetnurse64, a friend of mine with a really delicate tummy swears by liquid supplements. I don't know what kind she uses, but a google search turned up several.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM

You might also try prenatal vitamins. They have a decent amount of iron in them but not so much that they make me ill.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Grandmother View Post
Zsofia, if you can find a children's chewable vitiman with iron, you might try those. Adult iron supplements give me nausea, but the kids stuff (if I can remember to take them before bed) have been working for me.
Sweetnurse64, a friend of mine with a really delicate tummy swears by liquid supplements. I don't know what kind she uses, but a google search turned up several.
I thought the kids' vitamins didn't have iron in them anymore because the little bastards kept ODing on them?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaqueen View Post
i developed anemia after giving too much blood over too short a period of time. my hematologist suggested five weeks of transfusions, once a week. i responded so well to it he cut it to four weeks and i was back to normal.

ymmv, depending on the type of anemia, but i'd check with your doctor about them.
Wait. You got anemia because you donated too much blood, so to fix that you ... accepted some donated blood?

I think I see where you could have skipped a few steps ...
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Whenever I'm concerned about my iron levels, I eat a big spinach salad with deli roast beef on it and wash it all down with a big glass of OJ. Always works for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM

The whole spinach as a great source of iron was a typo, that was corrected a while ago.

You'd have to eat ten kilos of red meat for 300mg of iron. ^-^; Non of the iron-foods are a practical option for you.

You NEED to take the pill.

On another note though, 'how to take a pill and get over the nauseous feeling?"

You can try eating ginger candy like Chime's Ginger chews or Reed's Ginger chews.
Other option is shocking yourself out of the feeling taking a tablespoon full Applecider vinegar directly. Then drinking water after to get its taste out and dilute it in your stomach.

Last edited by Infoseeker; 08-19-2011 at 09:58 AM..