The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-10-2003, 08:51 AM

The more water I drink, the thirstier I get

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in IMHO, so I won't be offended if it gets moved...

I used to drink soda all day long (Mountain Dew in the daytime, root beer in the evenings) and recently started drinking more water in an effort to lose weight. I still drink Mountain Dew on the weekends, but during the week it's just bottled water.

Now, I know that Mountain Dew has caffeine, which is a diuretic. However, I also find it to be a wonderful thirst quencher. When I drink bottled water, however, I find that I am constantly thirsty. No matter how much I drink, my throat still feels dry. I keep a bottle by my desk that I refill from the company water cooler, and I must go through 8 or 9 bottles a day.

I'd worry that I'm becoming diabetic (I've heard that increased thirst is a symptom), but when I switch back to Mountain Dew on the weekends the constant thirst disappears. I also find that I tend to go to the bathroom a lot more often during the week which may simply have to with the amount of water I'm drinking, but which surprised me nonetheless given the fact that I'm switching from a caffeinated beverage.

Any ideas why this is happening? Why would drinking water be LESS thirst quenching than a drink loaded with caffeine?

Regards,

Barry

"godzillatemple, I think I think as clearly as you...I just have trouble matching your clarity of expression." - Somnambulist

"Same here. It sounds so much BETTER when YOU think it!" - Kalhoun
Advertisements  
Old 06-10-2003, 10:10 AM

I don't get it. But are you logging your consumption? just to get some numbers, and clear out the subjective.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:17 AM

Am I logging my consumption? No, but all I can say for sure is that I'm sitting here with a bottle of water, I've been drinking from it all morning (I'm on my third or fourth refill) and my throat still feels dry.

I've heard that salt makes one thirsty, but I'm wondering whether the LACK of salt (or some other electrolyte) could be causing the same problem.

Barry

"godzillatemple, I think I think as clearly as you...I just have trouble matching your clarity of expression." - Somnambulist

"Same here. It sounds so much BETTER when YOU think it!" - Kalhoun
Old 06-10-2003, 10:50 AM

I drink lots and lots of water. I've got a 32 ounce bottle, and I'll probably have about 6-7 of them a day.

I notice the same phenomenon, which is that I'm constantly thirsty. I always just assumed that my body adapted to the great amount of water I drank, and if I slipped and fell behind, the thirst mechanism would kick in.

Could it be perhaps your body has gotten used to it, and now craves it? That's what I always figured was going on with me.

Now, hopefully someone who knows a bit about science can help us sort this out.

Yours in thirst,

scout
Old 06-10-2003, 11:09 AM

Your "thirst" actually manifests itself with a "dry" feeling throat? It seems to me that when I'm truly "thirsty," I don't know how to describe it, I guess I just feel sort of wilted or weak. In other words, it's a feeling that I actually need more fluid in my system. Not that I need to wet down the back of my throat again.

Is it possible that the habit of drinking soda all day convinced you that soda was quenching some "thirst," and now water just doesn't do it (because the soda wasn't exactly quenching "thirst," but some other desire)? It seems to me that sugary beverages often seem to soothingly coat my throat (even thought they're carbonated), so could it be that this effect is what your throat is requesting? A soothing sugary coating? BTW, Mountain Dew does seem to provide this effect on my throat more than other sodas.

Not scientific, but maybe something to think about?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:46 AM

Gee, scout1222, that's a lot of water. Ever heard of hyponatremia?

I'd love to know just who started the myth that you need to drink x litres of water a day to "flush out toxins", or put it about that x% of people are "chronically dehydrated". Almost everybody gets most of their body's requirement of water from food.

I have to admit to being amazed by the capacity of Americans for fluid when I visited. Even the "small" sodas in restaurants were at least 16oz, and some places offered sizes up to 40oz or something ridiculous. I don't think I drink 40oz of liquid in a day, let alone a single serving. You guys must be in the bathroom ten times a day!
Old 06-10-2003, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by r_k
I have to admit to being amazed by the capacity of Americans for fluid when I visited. Even the "small" sodas in restaurants were at least 16oz, and some places offered sizes up to 40oz or something ridiculous. I don't think I drink 40oz of liquid in a day, let alone a single serving. You guys must be in the bathroom ten times a day!
Yeah, I do go to the bathroom a lot. For some reason (yes, I'm diabetic) I have to drink at least a glass of water an hour or I get so dehydrated that my lips start puckering up.

So - I drink a lot of water, too. I notice that often my mouth and throat are dry, even after or while drinking water. The coating idea was a good one, troub. If I drink diet soda or something, I don't have that dryness. Back before I was diagnosed, Mountain Dew was my favorite soda.
Hm. I wonder if it is the sugar, or something else.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:43 PM

Yep, I've heard of hyponatremia. As a marathoner, and a slower one at that, it's definitely a concern. Which is why, on marathon training runs, it's important to drink fluids that contain electrolytes.

But I figure when I'm sitting at my desk, not exerting myself, and eating meals regularly, that's really not an issue.

Am I deluding myself?
Old 06-10-2003, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I'd love to know just who started the myth that you need to drink x litres of water a day to "flush out toxins", or put it about that x% of people are "chronically dehydrated". Almost everybody gets most of their body's requirement of water from food.

Here's what Snopes has to say about it.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by r_k
wow how do you survive on that? i have a 64oz (about 2 litters) cup. i empty it about twice a day and feel thirsty if i don't. however i hear (but have not experance that) the water is terrible over there.

as for peeing, well i go about every four hours. when i do go, i go alot.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:07 PM
BANNED

godzillatemple, I'd really recommend going in for a glucose tolerance test. If you develop blurred vision and have rapid weight loss, get in there quickly.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Its possible that merely having water near you makes you thirstier. When I started taking a water bottle to class, I found the urge to drink every 5 mins and could usually go thorugh about a litre and hour. When I stopped taking the bottle, I didn't get less thirsty and my consumption dropped to about 1 litre per day.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:08 AM

Thirst, frequent urination, headache, blurry vision or trouble focusing are all signs of diabetes.

I am a type 2 diabetic. I started becoming markedly thirsty and drinking more liquids than usual. I started urinating more frequently. I chalked that up to the fact that I was drinking more liquids. I started having trouble focusing while reading and chalked that up to needing new glasses. Headache? Take advil.

I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia about 2 years ago and was diagnosed with diabetes. Surprise, surprise. Even knowing the symptoms, I don't think I would have ever suspected it.

A simple blood test will tell if your sugar levels are abnormal. If you are overweight, sedentary and over 40, definitely get yourself tested. If you get headaches and feel extremely sluggish after a heavy meal, get yourself tested.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:13 AM

Well, I've recently had a glucose tolerance test and passed, so I don't think diabetes is my problem. The frequency of my urination seems to be directly related to the amount of water I drink, but I don't suffer from headaches or blurry vision.

As I said, the constant thirst seems to occur only when I drink water, and it's mostly manifested by a dry throat. I'm sure I am well hydrated, but that dry feeling in my throat just doesn't go away with water. When I drink Mountain Dew, however, my thirst is slaked and I don't have the urge to drink anything else for hours. In fact, I can go a whole day just drinking one or two cans of Mountain Dew, whereas when I am drinking water I tend to drink eight or nine 20 oz. bottles a day.

But thanks for the concern!

Barry
Old 06-11-2003, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by netscape 6
wow how do you survive on that? i have a 64oz (about 2 litters) cup. i empty it about twice a day and feel thirsty if i don't. however i hear (but have not experance that) the water is terrible over there.
The water’s fine, on the whole. Like America, the taste varies from place to place. Certainly I’ve seen more than one “taste-test” type experiment where people were unable to tell the difference between bottled water and tap water.

I think that 64oz is stretching the definition of the word “cup”, though. I would be more inclined to call that a “bucket”.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 PM

I don't know what it is about soda, but I've experienced the same thing. If I don't drink a soda and drink water instead, I seem to be much thirstier the whole day. Weird, weird, weird. My guess is that we're getting the symptoms of thirst but what our bodies are really craving is either the sugar or the caffeine in the soda.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

There was a thread that was basically, "What's up with Americans and their giant iced drinks?"

The answer basically was, "You Europeans don't have places like Texas and Oklahoma". Or the San Joaquin Valley in California, I might add, where eveyone in mid-June right now is really glad that the highs are in the high 80s Farenheit.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:19 PM

add me to the list of the water thirst people. the more i drink the thirstier i get . i guess my mouth and throat just feel wrong . a coke or a beer seem to get rid of the problem. a few beers seem to get rid of a whole lot of other problems.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:24 PM

I drink from a 64oz cup. I have at least 3-4 fillings per day.

I think of it less as a bucket, and more as a massive cup.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shalmanese
Its possible that merely having water near you makes you thirstier. When I started taking a water bottle to class, I found the urge to drink every 5 mins and could usually go thorugh about a litre and hour. When I stopped taking the bottle, I didn't get less thirsty and my consumption dropped to about 1 litre per day.
Barring undiagnosed diabetes, this seems most likely to me. I got thirsty just reading this thread! BTW, my mother told me a person should drink enough water that their urine comes out clear. Any opinions on that?
Old 06-12-2003, 12:32 AM

Strange that so many people report sodas quenching thirst better than water. I find that soda does almost nothing for my thirst. I'm another water-drinker, mass amounts per day. This may have something to do with the fact that I live in dry, arid Southern California and I take meds that affect the kidneys.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:10 AM

I don't drink soda, and try to avoid it at all costs. I agree with whoever started calling it sugar water, because that's exactly what it is. I don't even drink tea with sugar.

Water is au naturel. Water all the way. :-D
Old 06-12-2003, 05:41 AM

I wonder if caffeine addiction has anything to do with the sense that sodas quench thirst better than water.

I don't drink coffee much, but I've noticed if I don't have tea or coke in the morning, I start getting headaches in the afternoon. (Not a sugar issue, since I drink unsweetened tea and diet soda.) I too have noticed that these other drinks quench thirst better, but I've wondered if what I experience as "thirst" isn't really a craving for caffeine.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:01 AM

Re: The more water I drink, the thirstier I get

Quote:
Originally posted by godzillatemple
Now, I know that Mountain Dew has caffeine, which is a diuretic.
The diuretic properties of caffeinated beverages have been greatly exaggerated. From the same article as quoted by Eegba
Quote:
Additionally, the idea that one must specifically drink water because the diuretic effects of caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea, and soda actually produce a net loss of fluid appears to be erroneous. The average person retains about half to two-thirds the amount of fluid taken in by consuming these types of beverages, and those who regularly consume caffeinated drinks retain even more:
Old 06-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Off the top of my head, the dry feeling in the throat probably has two sources:

First, and most important, Mountain Dew and similar soft drinks have a small amount of emulsifier in them; glyceryl monostearate or some such. These materials do indeed coat the mouth and throat, and are an important element in the distinctive "mouthfeel" of one's favorite beverage. Clear sodas contains little or no emulsifier, but diet sodas have some to make up for the lost syrupy feeling from the sugar.

Second, drinking pure water may cause the throat's tissues to osmotically or interstitially take up excess water; this causes swelling and an inflamed feeling, which is temporarily soothed by more water. Mineral water may reduce this effect, but if you'd just wait, it would probably go away -- it's not thirst.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by godzillatemple
As I said, the constant thirst seems to occur only when I drink water, and it's mostly manifested by a dry throat.
You miss carbonation.

Toss some mint leaves or lemon juice into some soda water.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by Setherghd
I don't drink soda, and try to avoid it at all costs. I agree with whoever started calling it sugar water, because that's exactly what it is. I don't even drink tea with sugar.

Water is au naturel. Water all the way. :-D
Bubonic plague is au naturel. Bubonic plague all the way. Famines are au naturel. Famines all the way. Infected wounds are au naturel. Infection all the way.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:21 PM

Just saw this article on hyponatremia in Runner's World yesterday. Interesting tidbit:

Your daily water supply comes from three sources, and you lose water in four prinicipal ways. The percentages shown here are averages for nonexercisers. People that exerciser regularly sweat more, and need to drink more, than nonexercisers.

Water Intake / Percent
Fluids -- 60%
Food -- 30%
Metabolism -- 10%*

Water Loss / Percent
Urine -- 50%
Sweat -- 35%
Respiraton -- 10%
Feces -- 5%

Actual percentages will vary considerably, depending on the weather, your diet, the amount you exercise, and other factors.
*Approximately 10 percent of your daily water supply comes from metabolic water, which is water that's "liberated" within the body when you burn fats and carbohydrates.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 AM

I drink a gallon of water per day, and I am not thirsty all the time.
if you are drinking as much as you say and still feel thirsty, due to dry throat, maybe if you were to get some kind of hard candy to suck on it would eliminate the dry throat.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Zombies don't need water. Just brains.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Wow, what a blast from the past!

As it turns out, the mystery is solved. A couple of years after my original post I was diagnosed with diabetes. Go figure. Now that I have my blood sugar under control, I don't find myself as thirsty all the time.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM

I see you figured it out, wishing you luck.

Last edited by kanicbird; 02-09-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
Zombies don't need water. Just brains.
But brains are juicy.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Dude, what a follow-up! The outcome sucks but it was cool to see it nonetheless.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Butterfly View Post
Strange that so many people report sodas quenching thirst better than water. I find that soda does almost nothing for my thirst. I'm another water-drinker, mass amounts per day. This may have something to do with the fact that I live in dry, arid Southern California and I take meds that affect the kidneys.
I am with you, iced water is my swill of choice, sodas are both too sweet and do not quench my thirst. Although I am diabetic, it is well controlled, but I also take several meds that all have thirst as a side effect I think I do on average 3 to 4 liters of water a day, and one cup coffee in the morning [12 oz] and a cup of tea at night [same size]
Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillatemple View Post
Wow, what a blast from the past!

As it turns out, the mystery is solved. A couple of years after my original post I was diagnosed with diabetes. Go figure. Now that I have my blood sugar under control, I don't find myself as thirsty all the time.
I'm very curious about this because.. I also feel extremely thirsty all the time, especially when I drink water. I usually drink 3lt. a day. Could drink more, but once I reach 4lt or more, I get headaches and my doctor said too much water isn't good either. Thing is, I've checked for diabetes of both types and the tests were negative. What I'm curious about is whether your diabetes just recently appeared (you tested several years ago and it was negative, and only is positive now), or you never testes yourself for diabetes before.

Ty!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM

The person you're addressing last posted here more than a year ago.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
BANNED

I SO wish there was a "like" button on this thing! Because during the spring/summer, it's not unusual for me to go through two or three refills of my aluminum water bottle a day as well as at least one 12 oz soda AND half a dozen glasses of iced tea. It just gets HOT dammit.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
I wonder if caffeine addiction has anything to do with the sense that sodas quench thirst better than water.

I don't drink coffee much, but I've noticed if I don't have tea or coke in the morning, I start getting headaches in the afternoon. (Not a sugar issue, since I drink unsweetened tea and diet soda.) I too have noticed that these other drinks quench thirst better, but I've wondered if what I experience as "thirst" isn't really a craving for caffeine.
It's entirely possible. Many moons ago, I spent about 3 years working for a fast food joint where the owner/gen. mgr had the standing rule that as long as you brought your own container, cup, what have you you were allowed to drink as much cokes as you wanted. By the time I quit working there, I was drinking around 3 LITERS of Dr. Pepper a day. After I quit, I no longer had access to massive amounts of cokes and went through caffiene withdrawals--I had headaches, I was really freaking grouchy and the first day or two I had a bad case of the shakes.

Now my drug of choice is Folger's Choice Half-Caff but I don't drink more than 4-6 cups over the course of the day, mostly in the morning while I'm waiting for my thyroid meds to kick in so I can eat something.