The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-11-2003, 12:55 AM

Ladies, would you work at Hooters?

I've been waiting tables throughout college. As of right now I'm unemployed and having a hard time finding a job (summers are slow in a college town). Several people have suggested that I apply at the local Hooters. I've talked to a few former Hooters girls and they've said that they averaged between $100-200 a night. That would mean I could pay rent with just two nights work. Hell, that would double what I currently have in my bank account.

As of right now I'm torn between a potential $2k a month (more than I've ever made) and my hatred of orange shorts and shaving my legs.

So, would you work there? (Or at least even consider applying?)
Advertisements  
Old 06-11-2003, 01:42 AM

I'd do it. After months of looking for a job, I'd do just about anything that would come somewhat close to paying my rent. It really isn't that different than any other kind of service work. Plus, you can use the money you save to really get ahead.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:46 AM

No way. There's more to life than a bit of extra cash, like my dignity for example.

In australia we don't put up with that kind of stuff so much. They opened a hooters here and it didn't last...too many complaints...thankfully
Old 06-11-2003, 01:46 AM

No way. There's more to life than a bit of extra cash, like my dignity for example.

In australia we don't put up with that kind of stuff so much. They opened a hooters here and it didn't last...too many complaints...thankfully.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:32 AM

No. I could find a job I enjoyed more that payed well - maybe not as well, but I also would save some years on my life by not getting pissed off daily at patrons. (In retrospect, this also applies to technical support call centers..)

If you have a high tolerance level for assholes, go for it. Don't let em push ya around I hope you make a good wage and don't get overly harassed.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:43 AM

Venoma, I'd say that waiting tables by itself requires a high tolerance for assholes. I've seen the worst of people over the last four years.

There's also a no touch policy that the company strongly enforces. Would that change anyone's mind?
Old 06-11-2003, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pixelle

In australia we don't put up with that kind of stuff so much. They opened a hooters here and it didn't last...too many complaints...thankfully.
Uh, just do a search on google; meter maids/ Austrailia and see what you come up with.

For those of you who are to lazy its about these girls dressed up in skimpy bikinis that go around and pay peoples expired meters. They get paid buy the local business owners to help drum up business from tourist.

I'd give a link but I don't think its allowed. Or at the very least pushing the limit.

Anyway sorry for the highjack.

As to the OP I'd say go for it! You can always quit if you don't like it.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:15 AM

It's not like you'd be a stripper or something; you'd be a waitress. No shame in that at all. As for the skimpy uniform, there are plenty of restaurants that make their waitstaff wear sexy clothes to titillate (pardon the pun) the patrons. Hooters just has a mystique about it.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:23 AM

My experience with Hooters is limited to only a couple visits, and while I admit to finding their dress annoying (not really distracting, just ... orange!) the waitresses that served us were extremely nice and good at what they did. Thus a bigger tip.

I have no idea if the places get rowdy at night, but I might suggest trying to work the lunch crowd. Not as much money in tips, maybe, but also not so many people getting drunk and whatnot.

In my mind, the place is more about the food anyway.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I've only ever been to one Hooters. Oddly, it was the one in downtown Nashville, near Printer's Alley.

Hooters didn't seem that much different from any other chain restaurant to me. It was nearly midnight and the crowd was not rowdy. Apparently, one didn't have to be particularly well endowed in the boob department to obtain employment there.

The chicken wings were pretty good, but anybody going into Hooters for an erotic experience would be disappointed, IMHO.

Speaking with reference to the one I went into, I wouldn't have a problem with a female family member working there. If it pays that well, I’d say go for it.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:29 AM

I also totally agree with John Carter of Mars - to me it's not much more than a typical chain restaurant. Sure, you'll see some T&A, but it's not necessarily an atmosphere that leads polite people to openly stare at the cleavage. So if that's true for most people, then you should feel no more threatened there than at other similar restaurants.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:29 AM

This is odd because my hubby and I had a conversation about Hooters last night. I had never been to one until recently and I was forced into going with a group of business associates. I had no problem with the outfits...there were some really beautiful girls working there.

However, I HATED the attitude. I don't know about this "no-touch" policy but let me assure you these girls draped themselves over my clients and my partner at the table until I was embarassed for them.

I'm talking they couldn't walk by to fill up our glasses or ask if we were okay without popping down in someone's lap or leaning over the table until their breasts were practically sitting next to the appetizers.

It wasn't just flirting or harmless fun to try and generate a better tip. I felt as if I was in a brothel without the sex. (Guess that doesn't make it a brothel....huh???)

To make it worse, there was a guy there at another table by himself who obviously was a "regular" and was not a very attractive fella. I was walking to the restroom and I overheard one of the managers telling a group of the girls, "I don't care....go over there and talk to him and spend some time with him....." I then watched the girl go sit down at the table with the guy and spend a few minutes talking to him, flirting with him and laying across the table where he got quite the nice view of her breasts.

I was EXTREMELY uncomfortable and I don't embarass easily.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:32 AM

(Sorry for the monopolizing of the thread ...)

Wow! That's really awful, Aries. I've never had the draping-of-waitress issue, and I don't think I've seen it, but it's terrible if the manager was not only condoning but also requiring it. Ewwwwww
Old 06-11-2003, 07:36 AM

I was absolutely shocked. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was the only female at a table full of male clients and business associates. I am usually "one of the guys" but I was not a happy camper during this lunch.

I said something in the car on the way back to our office to my partner, who is male, and he said something about me just being jealous of the girls that were there.

That was not the case at all. 1) Like I said, there were some really attractive girls there. 2) I am very happy with my appearance and could have put on the tank top and orange shorts and been a great waitress...without the draping myself over the table deal.

Oh, well.....live and learn. I won't be visiting Hooters any time soon and the minute I got home I said to my poor husband...."If I ever hear that you went to a Hooters for a meal I will seriously hurt you."
Old 06-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

I've never been to one, but I have a feeling I would be very unhappy working in such an atmosphere (to say nothing of the waitressing!) I mean, c'mon. Did they name it Hooters because TitWorld was too blatant? I also admit to having...shall we say..."issues" due to my teeny cup size. No way my fragile little esteem could handle it.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:12 AM

Back to the original OP....I think if you are comfortable with your body in the uniform and don't mind being oggled then go for it.

My beef was with the behavior in the one Hooters I visited.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:20 AM

I don't know anyone who has worked there but I've always wondered about what kind of working environment (I mean with respect to the management and kitchen staff, which is probably 95% male, not the customers) there would be at a restaurant whose entire premise rests on "Come look at our pretty, big-breasted waitresses while you eat. It's okay to stare! That's what they're here for!!!"

There are many, many other restaurants where you can make $100-$200 a night. Where you don't need to hang out of your shirt to do it. Frankly, if I were willing to have crowds of strange men staring at my half-clothed body, I'd probably just be a stripper in a G-string bar and make LOTS more than $100 a night.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:41 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I guess I've gone to the only low-key Hooters in the world. We've eaten there several times, including with our daughter, and we never witnessed anything remotely off-putting. I have noticed that some of the waitresses wear scantier outfits than others - I'm assuming it's a personal choice rather than a management dictate.

As to the original question, no I wouldn't work there. Then again, I never worked in any food service job by choice. But even if I did, I don't think I'd work at Hooters. It's so not me.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Charter Jays Fan

About the only difference between Hooters and other restaurants is that they're honest about it. I mean, really, guys, have you never been to other trendy eateries? Waitresses are commonly uniformed in tight shirts and miniskirts.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:53 AM

I'd rather strip. Screw handling food and taking orders. At least when you're a stripper you call the shots. You can pick and choose who you dance for. I can imagine the fun the Hooter's clientele have ordering the waitstaff around. Nope.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:56 AM

Huh. I guess I can't see how stripping is better than handling food or taking orders - I presume you mean taking orders for food, not orders to do unseemly acts. Which, by the way, is probably more likely at a strip club than a large chain restaurant, one would think.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:57 AM

I've never eaten there, but we went inside one thinking about it, once. (Ended up waiting too long for a table and left.) All the waitresses looked pissed off, every last one of them. Those orange shorts are so unflattering, the tank tops not so bad.

I'd never work there, but only because I HATE wearing shorts. Especially ones that would make my ass the colour of a detour sign.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:03 AM

I would work there, and have been considering doing so. It doesn't seem like a big issue to me, frankly I'd just be worried about the cattiness and competition between women.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:04 AM

ShadiRoxan - are you comfortable flirting with strangers? Can you smile and look like you're having fun, even when you get stupid/rude comments? Can you entice guys to buy another round of beer or another platter of wings using your looks and your attitude? Do you look good in little shorts and tank tops? (I saw your website pix before it crashed and I think you would meet this requirement with no problem.) Will you take off that engagement/wedding ring?

Hooters Girls are entertainers/salespeople, not wait staff. I believe the company even had a discrimination lawsuit it settled with the EEOC that permits them to hire only attactive women to wait on customers (no men, fat, old, etc.) but since the key is that the have to be able to do the above things to do the job since that is what makes a Hooters restaurant work.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:05 AM

Aries28 Wow, I have been to Hooters several times and have never seen anything like that. In fact the first time I went I was surprised by the family style atmosphere. I always see groups of guys, families etc. Also I have seen little league teams there celebrating, cub scouts after their meetings and the like. The women have always been friendly but never crossed the line like that. The only thing is I am sure you will hear more lame pick up lines there than working somewhere else, but I think most of it is meant in fun.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
Huh. I guess I can't see how stripping is better than handling food or taking orders - I presume you mean taking orders for food, not orders to do unseemly acts. Which, by the way, is probably more likely at a strip club than a large chain restaurant, one would think.
I stripped for 7 years without doing unseemly acts, so I guess it's a matter of personal discretion. I also paid my way through college and raised a young child as a single parent on my pay. Personally, I'd rather work two nights in a strip club and make as much or more than working all week at Hooters or something similar.

If someone acts like a prick at a strip club, you can walk away, or have them thrown out. You're not obligated to "serve" them. That's a choice I'd like to have. Just my .02. It's certainly not for everyone.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I think that with Hooters, it really really depends on who the manager is, and how well they run the place. (But, then, that's true of just about any workplace: a lot depends on how well it's run.)

Get the low down from a few other people about the one you're considering working at, and stop by there to eat a couple of times at different times of the day. (Lunch, dinner, big game nights, and the like.) Keep your eyes and ears open.

If I needed a job badly enough to consider going into the service sector, then yes, I would also consider working at Hooter's, but only after checking out the place first.

(And yes, I have eaten at Hooter's. The one in Honolulu, by the Aloha Tower. Gooood food, at least when I was there. It was funny to watch the Japanese tourist/businessmen getting their pictures taken with the waitressess, for various reasons. )

___
<< I've gone looking for my mind, if it comes back before I do, tell it to wait for me! >>
Old 06-11-2003, 09:56 AM

H8_2_W8, I do all of that at other restaraunts. I've been hit on at those places, sometimes with their wives or girlfriends right there. I've been subjected to rude comments. Hell, I get it in everyday life. I think that with an atmosphere as casual as Hooters the girls have a lot more control than you would think.

Aries28, if I saw that I would never work there. I would flirt with my tables, but never throw myself on them. It seems like that would be when you run into the troubles of touching and grabbing.

The shorts I'm not too fond of. I think it's mainly the color and the fact that I live in the heart of Vol country where they love their football. If you look outside on game days there is what I call a sea of orange.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:07 AM

I will agree with Aries28.

I never went to Hooters because the idea repulsed me. So, I decided to go onnce, because maybe I was making it off worse that it really was...trying to be open minded.

We went with a group of friends. I,too, am usually one of the guys.
So we get there and the waitress is all flirty. whatever,right? Except that she started to be flirty with my husband which I didn't appreciate at all.

Don't even get me started about the time she came to "clean the ketchup bottle". Use your imagination, ok? It was really uncomfortable for the whole table.

So, in short, I would never work there.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:11 AM

oh and one more thing.

The jerks at the table next to us kept "accidentally" dropping their forks so that the waitress to could them up.

nice.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:19 AM

I would be so embarrassed to do that, BnB. I feel self-conscious enough as it is when a scantily clad waitress is in the vicinity. Too easy to get slapped with a harassment lawsuit or at least kicked out of the restaurant.

Eyes down, drink soda, be subtle... Run silent.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aries28
until their breasts were practically sitting next to the appetizers.

There's a difference??

I don't think the Hooters image is about great chicken wings, do you?

The food is "chain franchise same as the next town", so most folks don't go there for the gourmet cuisine.

The beer is expensive enough to keep people from going there just to drink all day/night (although I'm sure some do).

What's the hook? Pretty girls in scanty outfits.

And most of them that I have been to trend towards a sports theme. Who are they targeting?? Testosterone charged males.

Would a testosterone charged male be more likely to give a generous tip to a pretty girl in a scanty outfit or unabrow with a moustache??

They are selling T&A with a side order of wings and a beer.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with that.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:49 AM

They do have family sections, though. With actual families, I think. Their target may be the testosterone crowd, but it's not their only target.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

After their EEOC suit, I thought it would be great fun to go in and apply for a job. I was post-surgical and in a wheelchair at the time, but hey, I have hooters! (Not that I would ever work there, but that's more because I worked in food service once upon a time, and I don't think my back would stand up to it. If you can make some good cash, and you don't feel you'd be compromising your self-respect, go for it!)
Old 06-11-2003, 10:57 AM

As mentioned, I've seen good Hooters that are just fun and then I've seen the Hooters where the girls touch and rub the male customers with their breasts...some may just call this brushing, but it's rubbing, trust me.

If yours is one of the laid-back Hooters then go for it. However, if it's not, I'm with Indy you may as well just strip--you are an entertainer that entertains with her body, you might as well entertain with your body in a more controlled environment and not have to lug around food.

Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:32 AM

Well, other guys have chimed in so here's my two cents. Go pick up an application and check the place out. It's no different than working at J.B.'s, and not as degrading as T.G.I.Fridays. Those suspenders and buttons are so suggestive, it's deplorable. (Irony off)
Old 06-11-2003, 02:37 PM

Nope - never. I don't respect men enough to wait on them and have them look at me that way no matter how good the pay was....
Old 06-11-2003, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jellen92
Nope - never. I don't respect men enough to wait on them and have them look at me that way no matter how good the pay was....
You know this is the best point against it that I've seen so far.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:41 PM

Me in that skimpy little outfit?? Everyone would lose their appetites!!!

But where I young, and fit, and needed the money... I don't see anything wrong with taking money out of the hands of drunken, lecherous men.

What?
Old 06-11-2003, 03:45 PM

ShadiRoxan, I wrote the book on money problems. You're not butt naked swinging around a pole or anything. I'd definitely consider it, at least. In fact, you just gave me an idea...
Old 06-11-2003, 03:48 PM

DeVena, yet another good point.

As of right now I'm going tomorrow to check it out. I got told "We'll get back to you" one too many times today. (What's the deal with no one wanting to hire me anyways?)

Now the big question is how do I tell my mother if I get hired? Funny how the boyfriend is all for it though.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadiRoxan
You know this is the best point against it that I've seen so far.
Actually, it's a pretty sexist comment. Not sure why not having respect for men in general is a good thing.

DeVena, why do you think Hooters patrons are "drunken, lecherous men"? The point was made earlier that they intentionally make their beer expensive for the purpose of avoiding drunken louts. I don't know if that's true, but I've never noticed more there than at any other restaurant.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:00 PM

As Shadi's best girlfriend, I think she should do it. It is good money and I don't think any patrons will bother her (more than any patrons at any resturant). And personally, I like Hooter's because they have the best grilled cheese ever!

She only hates the ORANGE shorts cause she lives in TENN! (GO VOLS, HAHA)
Old 06-11-2003, 06:17 PM

Re: Ladies, would you work at Hooters?

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadiRoxan
I've been waiting tables throughout college. As of right now I'm unemployed and having a hard time finding a job (summers are slow in a college town). Several people have suggested that I apply at the local Hooters. I've talked to a few former Hooters girls and they've said that they averaged between $100-200 a night. That would mean I could pay rent with just two nights work. Hell, that would double what I currently have in my bank account.

As of right now I'm torn between a potential $2k a month (more than I've ever made) and my hatred of orange shorts and shaving my legs.

So, would you work there? (Or at least even consider applying?)
Shoot yeah!!! If I were young again, Why not? Especially if the tips are good. I worked at a burger/beer joint back in my 20s, I averaged 80 bucks and I only worked the lunch rush (about 2-3 hour shift, usually no more than 5 hours including sidework), and I didn't even wear shorts (just snug black jeans ).
Old 06-11-2003, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenypher
As Shadi's best girlfriend, I think she should do it. It is good money and I don't think any patrons will bother her (more than any patrons at any resturant). And personally, I like Hooter's because they have the best grilled cheese ever!

She only hates the ORANGE shorts cause she lives in TENN! (GO VOLS, HAHA)
That reminds of an old joke. Why does Tennessee use that shade of orange? So Vol fans can go from the game to the hunting camp to the prison chain gang without changing clothes. I guess now you can throw working at Hooters into the mix.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

A number of years ago I recalled reading about a suit against Hooters by a former member of the wait staff alleging sexual harassment by the customers. Anyway that night I went to Hooters for dinner. It was a slow night and I struck up a conversation with the waitress. I asked her about if she was ever harassed by any of the customers. Her reply was no, she had never felt harassed, and that most of the customers treated her more like a “little sister” than a sex object. She also told me that if a customer got out of line, the manager would take care of the problem. Obviously YMMV. I suspect that the attitude in a particular store may be based on what the manager’s attitude is.

I have always found the Hooter’s girls to be a fairly good cross section of young American womanhood. Some are brighter than others, some have larger hooters than others, some have bigger smiles than others, but all of them have been nice pleasant young ladies. If my daughter decided to work there, while in college, I would have no particular concerns or issues with this.
I mean hey if you are going to sling hash, then sling it where the tips are the best.
$.02
Old 06-11-2003, 08:24 PM

I don't know why I wouldn't. It's not like you're exposing enough skin to be obscene, just enough to be titillating. The work seems relatively easy because of the limited menu, you'll probably run more beer than anything. And tabs are likely to be higher than normal restaurants because the majority of people will have drinks (as in $5 beers rather than $1 sodas). As long as you have a manager that is decent and enforces the "no touch" policy it sounds like a win/win situation.

The only downside I can see (besides a bad manager) is the fact that it's in a college town. College students are usually awful tippers.

BTW, that I can recall, I've been in four Hooters (NYC, Miami, Cincinnati and Grand Rapids, MI) and all have been just like your normal restaurants, only with short shorts and push-up bras.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:52 PM

Hell yeah! "Hi, my name is Marconi & Schmeese and I have my Master's of Business Admin. in the Strategic Management of Entrepreneurship . . . . and I moonlight at HOOTERS!" I would be a well rounded girl then, wouldn't I?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:17 PM

If you work at Hooters, I hope you're well rounded...
Old 06-11-2003, 10:21 PM

touche