The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-26-2003, 09:16 PM

How to keep thighs from rubbing together? QUICK HELP!

I figure someone on this board's gonna have a suggestion!

I'm going to be walking around NYC tomorrow and because of the heat, I'd like to wear a skirt. However, b/c I'm a big girl, my thighs always rub together when I wear one and it's uncomfortable.

Is there something I can put on my legs at the rubbing point or wrap around my thigh to prevent the skin-to-skin contact I hate? If I had an ace bandage, I'd be all over it but alas, I do not.

I'll be checking for replies all night!
Advertisements  
Old 06-26-2003, 09:23 PM

Stop at a lingerie store and get yourself a girdle with legs. Really, it's the only thing that's ever helped me. Otherwise, douse the rubbing points with talcum powder.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:24 PM

Do panty hose help? Can you wear a pair of shorts under your dress? I used to wear a girdle with long legs and that seemed to help.

If you are staying in a hotel, they might have an ace bandage.

Have fun! Give my regards to Tiffany's!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:32 PM

Mmm, Tiffany's...

I'm just going in for the day from Long Island (it's a 40 minute train ride), so no hotel.

I would wear shorts but I don't own any. I'm thinking maybe I'll just get up a little earlier and run to CVS to buy an ace bandage.

I'm still open to suggestion!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:37 PM

I borrow my husband's most snug fitting pair of boxer briefs, the silkier the better
Old 06-26-2003, 09:39 PM

'control-top' pantyhose work well- the extra thickness extends to the upper thigh-- be sure to get them big enough, though so that the crotch stays all the way up and doesn't nestle at mid-thigh (I'm sure you know what I mean) because that just adds an edge to the friction. you can buy them at a drug store or wherever...
I feel your pain, girl!
Talcum powder can help, but you may have to re-apply during the day...
Old 06-26-2003, 09:42 PM

Yeah, I'm definitely not going the talcum powder route, if not just for the smell.

Pantyhose is definitely out of the question because I'll just be too hot wearing that. Plus it doesn't really resolve the rubbing problem.

I appreciate all the help! Keep 'em coming!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:03 PM

I wear mid-thigh bike (exercise) shorts under whatever when I know I'm going to be walking around a lot. I buy them at WalMart in the lingerie/underwear section.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:29 AM

It seems like someone told me she used deodorant... does anyone with this problem know anything about this?

Sorry, I don't recall if she specified a brand or type.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:12 AM

Vaseline

Sounds yucky, but it's perfect for preventing any kind of skin-chafing
Old 06-27-2003, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I'll second Vaseline - I sometimes have problems with chaffing when I run, and my husband (the former marathon runner) told me he used to use Vaseline. It works great!
Old 06-27-2003, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by saramamlana
[BPantyhose is definitely out of the question because I'll just be too hot wearing that. Plus it doesn't really resolve the rubbing problem.

[/B]
A girdle works the best, and some of the newer ones(shapers) are not that thick or hard. You want one that is smooth and soft.

Why doesnt pantyhose work? It should, it works with me. Pantyhose would work much better than mens shorts.

Maybe you need smoother pantyhose? like Leggs? If the pantyhose is smooth enough , rubbing wont matter, you wont hardly feel it.

I just had a thought, but Ive never tried it myself: Why not get some smooth silky pantyhose, and then cut the legs off at the knees? That would be much cooler.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:03 AM

Ive used vaseline too, but not until chafing already appears. I get chafing when I am wearing something/shorts that gets wet from swimming in them, and then walk around in it a lot when it is wet. vaseline is messy, but it works, and heals the chafing the best, works on lips too.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:08 AM

I use gold bond medicated powder. It doesn't smell like baby powder does, and it seems to last longer, too.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:35 AM

I second (third?) pantyhose.

They actually make you cooler—though I would never wear control-top. I never go without them in the summer! And they really do stop all chafing problems. Powder would last, what, five minuters? And you hardly want to hike up your skirt to reapply in the middle of Times Square.

Alright, that's already more than you need to know about my legs.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:48 AM

Use cornstarch on your legs (like dusting powder)
Old 06-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

You could put something in between them, like maybe a cute guy?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:02 AM

don't know if this is something you'd find readily available in the lingerie section of nearby stores, but i've seen pettipants advertised in catalogs. they're perfect for this situation. basically, they're a slip/underwear hybrid -- longish in length, like a short half-slip, but with legs instead of just a skirt. like something to wear under coulottes (sp?).

well, heck, maybe that's your answer right there -- a split skirt/ coullotte, instead of a regular skirt. i know i've seen those in catalogs too. do any stores carry them currently?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:31 AM

I must repeat here—powder is useless if you will be walking around for hours in NY in the summer heat. You will have to keep reapplying it over and over and over.

Pantyhose. Or trousers.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AHunter3
You could put something in between them, like maybe a cute guy?
Which would make her walk even funnier, but smiling all the way.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:26 AM

Girdle with short legs is probably the best bet if you have sensitive skin. Pantyhose just gives me a combo of heat rash & friction burn (very painful, burns-when-I-put-aloe-on-it sort of thing) where the top of my thighs touch. I was in 94 degree heat for a wedding last weekend; the girdle option was surprisingly comfortable & worked fine under my skirt w/o being too hot. You should be able to find one in the lingerie section of most department stores.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:58 PM

I've found that diaper rash ointment is a wonderful cure-all. It definitely helps the chafed area feel better--I wonder whether it would help prevent chafing? (I'm thinking of the thick zinc-oxide stuff.)
Old 06-28-2003, 11:36 AM

Well . . . I have to know! How was your day in NY, and how are your thighs doing?
Old 06-28-2003, 11:56 AM

I use Gold Bond Green. Although you would prefer not to go the powder route, I still recommend it.

The Green has a menthol scent, and has a cool sensation when exposed to sweat.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:06 PM

Why do I think it hilarious that the poster by the name of Road Rash has posted in a thread about chaffing thighs?

The image is just....

Bwaahaaahaaa!

Old 06-28-2003, 06:14 PM

Pantyhose and boxer-briefs are my solutions, but damn if those bike-shorts don't sound like a good idea.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:59 PM

I know this is probably too late, but buy some pantyhose and cut them off above the knees. Cool, and chafe free!
Old 06-28-2003, 10:19 PM

LOL I'm surprised this even went this far.

I ended up ditching the skirt altogether and wearing capris. And JESUS it was hot out! But I was comfortable (albeit a bit sticky).

Thank you all for your suggestions. Oh and I said pantyhose was out of the question earlier because I find them awkward and not that comfortable to wear. And I still get the experience of my thighs rubbing together, so it was lose-lose. I will consider trying the method of cutting a pair off at the knees, though.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:35 PM

I am just glad to know I am not the only person who has this problem.

A few years ago I stuck "pettipants" into a search engine, bought three cheap pairs and have been chafe-free ever since.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:01 AM

I wear black bicycle shorts under my skirts all the time. Double bonus: If you find yourself sitting on the floor, or "flashing" a bit when you get out of the car, nothing ever shows!

I find that the "shinier" kind are more comfortable than the "matte" kind. YMMV. However, neither kind is too hot--I wear them in 118 degrees, and I'm fine.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Re: I second (third?) pantyhose.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eve
... And you hardly want to hike up your skirt to reapply in the middle of Times Square.

yes, and if you happen to be standing over a sidewalk grate just when the subway rolls under causing the ensuing air flow to lift your skirt, who wants to have white powder showing?
Old 06-29-2003, 11:01 AM

Cutting pantyhose off doesn't work! They just go up and up and up... too far up...
Old 06-30-2003, 10:42 AM

I know what you mean - I walk about 4.5 miles to and from work and couldn't possibly do it without wearing either bike shorts or a very lightweight girdle (it's not much of a "girdle" - there's no heavy rubber or anything - I think Flexees makes it) under my skirts.

Pantyhose?! All pantyhose does is collect the sweat and let it ferment there, meanwhile the thighs rub together and you get a blistering heat rash that makes each step a teeth-grating torture. I don't mind pantyhose at all in and of itself, but to use them to stop thigh-chafing? You guys must be using a different kind than I ever have.

Go with the bike shorts or get yourself a lightweight girdle, a long-line - not the panty girdle - you need one that the legs come down to mid-thigh or lower. Like a pair of bike shorts would.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:46 AM

Actually, I think in girdle-speak, a "panty girdle" is the one with the legs like bike shorts. A "brief" girdle is the one that stops where the thighs join the trunk. You don't want those!