How much $$ to fix a dent?

Friend A bumped into Friend B’s car. The damage was a dent about the size of a baseball (so A says), and is not keeping the car from functioning in any way. B’s dad took the car, a mid-90s Nissan Altima, to get an estimate for repairing the dent. He was told the repairs would cost a little less than $1000. A and I agree that this sounds like an awful lot.

Should B and B’s dad shop around for other prices? I don’t know if location has anything to do with it, but we live on Long Island (so if anyone around here knows a good place in southwest Nassau, do tell!).

OR does anyone here have a good idea of how much something like that costs to repair?

If the paint isn’t broken, a mechanic can just pop it out by suction, and it’s really cheap. If the paint is broken, then there’s repainting and such to deal with, and it costs a lot more. Sorry, I don’t really have figures.

You can pick up a “Ding King” for $20 and pop it yourself.

As long as the metal’s not sharply bent, the paint’s probably intact and the dent will un-dent with no problems.

For $1000, is the shop planning to replace the panel and repaint the entire car?

Depends on where the dent is and the kind of car, but it cost $1200 for the body shop to fix an itty bitty dent in my front fender. Paid by insurance, at least.

I’ll have to find out if the paint was chipped, I don’t know (I haven’t seen the damage first-hand). I’m really asking for a friend who’s being asked to pay the $1000 since she’s the one that caused the damage.

I’ve recommended the car get checked out at a place by my house that my family has trusted for years and who do very good business. I’m curious to see what they say if she takes the car there.

Does it cross panels?

Oh, and on the repair estimate, what is the rate are they billing for labor?

Wow. All this damage only cost $3800 to fix. Including some stuff inside the engine compartment.

“does anyone here have a good idea of how much something like that costs to repair?”

Yeah, $1000…

Of course if you can get behind it you can hit it with a rubber mallet (ABout $5) & it should come right out. Do not use a regular hammer.