Solo recording artists who are more famous than their original band.

So last night my buddy and I tried to think of solo artists that are more famous than their original band was at the time that they left.

The rules are easy. The original band must be somewhat known; high school garage bands don’t count. In addition, the original band cannot be named after the solo artist, ergo Gloria Estefan, of Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine, is out.

The best we could do was Peter Gabriel. Sure Genesis got pretty famous after he left, but his solo career, IMHO, eclipses Genesis’s pre Phil Collins lead singer phase.

Other votes were made for Lionel Richie/Commodores, Annie Lennox/Eurythmics, and Phil Collins/Genesis. The future Mrs. blainer suggested Sting/The Police and was not allowed to play anymore.

Can you think of any more? Do you agree/disagree with the artists suggested above?

Rob Zombie/White Zombie? Not sure if you’d consider that “Zombie” was a “named-after” or not.

And what is an “original band” - what if the player’s first (widely-known) band was ultra famous, then, later formed a not-as-popular second band without the fame attached to the co-players of the first band, and lastly went solo: Paul McCartney/Wings

Need to re-think that engagement, blainer; Sting has never come up to the level that the Police achieved. Too much time spent in tantric sex, probably.

Linda Ronstadt would be my contribution. The Stone Poneys (however they spelled it) aren’t even remembered anymore.

Eric Clapton maybe? Do you add up how famous all the earlier bands were and then compare with current fame? He is certainly known by more people than the Yardbirds are.

Neil Young is certainly more famous than Buffalo Springfield, although that band was rather important.

If the question if only about fame, then Sting would have to be considered more famous than the Police. Also, Neil Young was also in Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. I would still agree he is more famous than both of those bands.

Clapton is a great choice. Cream, and the Yardbirds don’t pop in as many people’s minds as Clapton does.

I’m going to switch it up a bit and go with Dr. Dre.

Sting is definitely bigger than the Police. No doubt.

Um…

George Michael certainly eclipsed WHAM! when he went solo.

John Waite certainly had a better solo run than The Babies.

How about Van Morrison? Them were pretty well known before they split and he went solo.

You could argue that Ozzy Osbourne is bigger than Black Sabbath. B.S. didn’t have their own TV show.

Michael Jackson is just a little bit bigger than the Jackson 5 (which was not specifically named after Michael.)

I think Eric Clapton is the definite winner, though.

I guess that this is going to be pretty subjective. Fame is pretty unquantifiable.

Great suggestions so far, especially Linda Rondstadt and George Michael.

We disqualified Eric Clapton because his he was in Derek and The Dominoes, nee Eric and the Dynamos.

I forgot that we also came up with Dr. Dre/NWA and Ice Cube/NWA.

Rod Stewart?

True, but the post said original band, and he was in Buffalo Springfield first.
Likewise, Clapton should still get credit, as he was with the Yardbirds, then John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, then Cream, then Blind Faith, and then Delaney and Bonnie and Friends first- then he released a solo album - and then formed Derek and the Dominoes (from Delaney and Bonnie’s band), and only after that band came apart did he become a permanent solo artist.

Jimmy Page (while not really a solo artist) is also more famous than the Yardbirds. So is Jeff Beck. And further down the chain, Rod Stewart is probably better-known than the Jeff Beck Group.

Peter Frampton is more famous than Humble Pie.

Curtis Mayfield certainly eclipsed The Impressions both in fame and influence.

Björk (Sugarcubes)

[aside]what IS it with all this Sting bashing here? Persaonally, I tihnk his solo work is far better than the Police.[/aside]

A lot of soloists were in little known bands first, so it all depends how famous you want your “original” band to be.

Al Green was in the Creations and then the Soul Mates before going solo. Barry White was with the Upfronts and then formed Love Unlimited. Eddy Grant was originally with the Equals.

Then you have arguable cases. Is Tina Turner more famous now than in the Ike and Tina Turner Soul Revue? How about Stevie Winwood, who was in several well known bands before his solo career? Diana Ross is probably more famous than the Supremes, but maybe not. Paul Simon went on to a great solo career but will always be associated with Simon and Garfunkel. Just as Cher will always be thought of with Sonny. Is David Byrne a separate entity from talking Heads now?

Then there’s Peter Frampton, once of Humble Pie. Billy Idol of Generation X. Ricky Martin was in Menudo and Rick Springfield was in a top Australian teen band, Zoot.

Tupac Shakur is/was bigger than Digital Underground (and DU isn’t exactly small).

Wow, you guys are doing a lot better than we did last night! Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for the info, Marley23, I just assumed that Derek and the Dominoes came first.

Let’s not forget Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, although the fame part of it may be arguable. Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac (ditto). Kenny Rodgers (actually, I think his name was in the First Edition name). George Michael/Wham is an obvious one (anybody see the SNL skit with Tom Hanks?).

John Lydon has had a pretty prolific career since the Sex Pistols. Alice Cooper was just the singer for The Alice Cooper band before he legally changed his name, went solo and became a pop star… Iggy Pop got pretty famous after the Stooges. Yngwie <sp?> Malmsteen got famous after he left Steeler. King Diamond is more well known than his old band. Then there’s Danzig from the Misfits. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.
Oh…one more…Moby was in a hardcore band in the 80s called Vatican Commandos, and did anyone mention Lou Reed?

Jon

Billy Idol was bigger’n Generation X. (commercially, that is…I still think GenX kicked ass)

I haven’t seen Michael Jackson/Jackson 5 mentioned yet.