The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-19-2003, 02:19 PM

Millionaire Trailer Parks?

We all know what a trailer park is. I was wondering......With all the millionaires in this country today, are any of them actually living in a trailer park for milionaires? I am just curious to know if some millionaires just like the trailer park scene and have built a trailer park just for themselves. Does anyone know of this fact or where there are any of these lost living Milionaire Trailer Parks around?
Advertisements  
Old 07-19-2003, 02:38 PM

I am to lazy to google it up for you but there is a very chi-chi trailer park (mobile estate community?:P) in Laguna, CA. The owners have them professionally decorated and the whole nine yards. HTH your search.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:50 PM

There's an RV park in Breckenridge, CO, where spaces with hookups were selling for $160K. Not restricted to millionaires, but you have to be pretty well-off to pay that for a parking place.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:56 PM

A lot of retirees enjoy going around the country in their Winnebagos (what's the generic term?). I would assume many millionaires do this. As far as a trailer park that is meant for semi-permanent structures, such as pre-fab "trailer homes" (I put it in parenthises because some of these require more than one trip to move), I am not sure.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I have relatives living in a sub-division in the south where they basically can pull up their RV's (many of which cost over a million dollars) next to their house, which is designed to "dock" with the RV to provide a larger living space in conjunction with the RV. When they hit the road, they "undock" the RV from the home and its support attachments, and off they go.

So what you have is a whole neighborhood of houses with RV's, many of which look like mobile homes. Many, if not most of which are worth in toto over $1 million. Does that count?
Old 07-20-2003, 01:04 AM

Qadgop is right. As I just returned from visiting said relatives, I can testify to this. These are RVs that are up to 50 feet long, with a bedroom, a full bathroom, a full kitchen with refrigerator and sometimes dishwasher, table and chairs, fold-out couch, extra chairs for guests... Often one or more sections of the coach will often pop out once it's parked, creating more space in the living room or bedroom. These things have satellite radio and tv, nice carpeting... it's amazing.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:52 AM

On the Travel Channel, Sunday, July 20th, 9:00 PM EDT:

Millionaire Trailer Parks
Old 07-20-2003, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

About 4 years ago I had a client (from my security consultant job) who was worth over 60 million. He didn't live in a "park" but he did live in a trailer........on about 80 wooded acres. I shit you not. That trailer was worth about 12 grand tops. The land it sat on was worth more than most of us will ever see in our life times (excellent hunting land in northern Wisconsin) but the dwelling he lived in was a shack. And he did NOT have a mansion or any other place he lived in. That trailer was it.

The guy was nuts. One of my co-workers refered to him as "The General". You would have to have dealt with the guy personally to know why that's funny. Long story. But the fact that he was worth over 60 mill and lived in a trailer should give you some idea!
Old 07-20-2003, 06:59 AM

Was the OP mearly an attept to hype the TV show?

I have often wondered if PR firms use boards like this as a form of advertising. If not, why not?

No evidence, just wondering.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Winnebagos (what's the generic term?).
Motorhomes?

FWIM's trailers have gotton a lot nicer and are not the tin cans they used to be. It is a very affordable option, especially if you need a structure up and fully opperationable yesterday. So I can see a multi-millionair buying some land and have a trailer installed right away so he can enjoy the land.

As for a trailor park, I doubt it in the format you are thinking of, maybe some sort of resort comunity.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:58 AM

Lake Havasu City, AZ (a resort/retirement town) also has a couple of very nice trailer parks. I imagine there's a few "millionaire next door" types living in those.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul in Saudi
Was the OP mearly an attept to hype the TV show?

I have often wondered if PR firms use boards like this as a form of advertising. If not, why not?

No evidence, just wondering.
You know, it is pretty damned coincidental. Otoh, it looks like I found what I want to watch on TV tonight.

Does that make me a :wally ?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:54 PM

First of all this is quite a coincedence! I had no idea about this TV show that was mentioned above. So as for the PR crap.......I am not getting paid a dime so why would I promote something for free? Get real and go read a book or something and get offline for a while!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Doesn't Warren Buffett supposedly live in the same, small house he bought when he was "average"? While not a trailer, it's not a Grosse Pointe mansion, either. And one can't argue that he's at least a millionaire.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micco
There's an RV park in Breckenridge, CO, where spaces with hookups were selling for $160K. Not restricted to millionaires, but you have to be pretty well-off to pay that for a parking place.
I live in Breckenridge. I think you are talking about Tiger Run. It's a pretty nice set up if you are into the RV thing, but you are not supposed to live there year round.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:44 AM

The "Invisible" Millionaires

I have often wondered about the "invisible" millionaires..those people (who with hard work and frugality)have amassed a fortune (chiefly in real estate). These people have huge real estate holdings, but often live very simply..sometimes even at a blue-collar level!
My dad knew such a man..he had around 25 buildings, but drove an old Chevy, and lived in a small ranch house..he evn clipped coupons!
needless to say, this man's sons probably were not as frugal!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:10 AM

Re: The "Invisible" Millionaires

Quote:
Originally posted by ralph124c
I have often wondered about the "invisible" millionaires
Check out the book "The Millionaire Next Door" by Stanley and Danko. It profiles this kind of person who has amassed a fortune through hard work and living below their means. I believe their surveys indicated that this kind of person is hardly rare, and these people who have amassed wealth by working hard and not spending are much more common than the flamboyant millionaires that make the news.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:12 AM

BTW, enipla, dopefest at the Blue Moose...
Old 07-21-2003, 10:47 AM

micco beat me to it, but that book is a great read and details, if not quite the OP, then certainly a good guide for amssing money (vs. keeping up with the Jones'.)
Old 07-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

[aside]

Barbi Benton is married to a guy who made piles of money with trailer parks. Their neighbors refer to their 27,500 sq ft Aspen home as "The Double Double Wide."

[/aside]
Old 07-21-2003, 12:34 PM

My parents have retired to a "trailer park." Their trailer is the equivalent of a large 3 bedroom house, including a fireplace, enclosed deck and sunken bathtub. All the units are on small, but breathtakingly manicured plots of land. The park includes a clubhouse (where they can go to get professional massages and physical therapy, among other amenities), swimming pool, and tournament lawnbowling court. There is a guard at the gate and a security team that patrols the place. It has its own internal TV channel for social announcements and local advertising. You have to be at least 55 to live there. It's my personal nightmare, but they seem to like it. My parents aren't particularly wealthy, but I wouldn't be the least surprised if many of their neighbors were millionaires.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:15 PM

Actually, I think there is a distinction between a "trailer park" and a "mobile home park". If you can hitch it up to a truck, it is a trailer. If moving it is a lot more complex and consists of breaking it down into sections and lifting it onto a truck, then it is a mobile home.

In Silicon Valley, for example, there are a couple of mobile home parks. Since you can't buy a home for less than $500K here, mobile homes are slightly more affordable. I say slightly because interest rates are about 5% higher than normal homes, and you need to pay a non-tax deductable rental fee to the park owner.

Just to give you an idea, a friend just took me to a mobile home in a mobile home park here that was being sold for $288K. The layout is shown here: http://www.palmharbor.com/our_homes/...asp?model=65A4

By my math, I figured the monthly outlay would be about the same as a $500k regular house. Of course, for $500K, you would be lucky to get a house half the size as that mobile home.

It is not difficult to imagine a few mobile home owners being millionares.