The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Trading Spaces--Which room was the worst ever?

Hands down my pick is the guest bedroom that the designer turned into a graveyard. Oh sure, she said it was supposed to be a garden, but it was, in fact, a grave. The neighbor was aghast when the designer (I don't remember which one- it was a woman) made a grass and flower bedspread and then surrounded the bed with a white picket fence. I said to myself "It looks like a grave." Said the neighbor "It looks like a grave!" Said the house owner "It kinda looks like a grave." And then she pretended to like it.

Anything by that new designer Christi has a chance to top the grave. Time will tell.
Advertisements  
Old 07-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

After checking the Trading Places site, the designer of the graveyard room was Kia. She should be ashamed of herself.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:05 PM

I thought the room that was painted in pink and gray quadrants was pretty awful. I think it was Hildi's.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:11 PM
BANNED

Even though I've never seen the ep, let me be the first to jump in with "hay wall."
Old 07-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Duke of Bilgewater
Charter Member

In terms of sheer, wanton destruction, the "hay (or straw) wall" episode certainly has to be right up there—IIRC, it cost over $3,000 to repair the mayhem to the fireplace and bookcases, not to mention the 70+ hours it took to remove the wall "treatment."

But when it comes to design disasters, I would nominate a Season 1 room by Dez that involved a diamond pattern all over one wall. Burned me retinas, it did.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tangent
I thought the room that was painted in pink and gray quadrants was pretty awful. I think it was Hildi's.
It was the Hildibeest's room, and it was horrible beyond description. If it had been my room, I would have outdone Crying Pam, the woman who cried when Doug painted her room crap brown and covered up her fireplace.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:21 PM

I still have yet to see the Hay Wall episode, or pictures. Does anyone have them? (I can't find it on the TS sites I've looked at so far).

The worst I've SEEN were:

The recent Purple and Pink Stereotypical Gay Office room Hildi did for the gay couple last week. REAL open-minded, Hildi!

Doug's theater room. I heard that the TV DID fall off the platform.

Genevieve's moss room. YUCK. That would stink, get moldy, and the family had allergies.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

See if your local video rental place has the Trading Spaces video-it has bloopers and a special section with the worst of the worst.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

The episode where the HO did not want ANYTHING Orental, then I think it was Genevieve, based all the room around an Obi and painted on wall with rust paint.

I also second the "Moss" room..ick!

How about the plastic palm fonds on the ceiling fan? I think that was Kia. IIRC HO hated ceiling fans
Old 07-26-2003, 10:37 PM

My first thought was the straw room, but I'd forgotten about the quadrant room. To be fair though, the quadrant room was for a young, hap'nin' San Francisco couple (if I'm remembering correctly) who actually WANTED something like that.

I think Kia's worst room by far was the camoflage/"military chic" room. (For the military family who wanted NOTHING MILITARY!!!) The one with a box plunked in the middle of the room with an electric fire in it? WTF?!?! Most really bad rooms have at least a few interesting ideas or redeeming features; not this one. 100% bad from top to bottom.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Duke of Bilgewater
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Guinastasia
I still have yet to see the Hay Wall episode, or pictures. Does anyone have them? (I can't find it on the TS sites I've looked at so far).<...>
The episode is Oakland: Webster Street from Season 2. The "before&after" feature wouldn't work for me in IE, but would in Opera; perhaps you'll have better luck.

I also highly recommend the TwoP Recap of the show—it's a classic.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Why is the hay room the only one that doesn't work? I want to see the hay wall!
Old 07-26-2003, 11:11 PM

I'm not a Trading Spaces obsessee, but I thought the dining room Hildi painted black and yellow was pretty gross.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The recent Purple and Pink Stereotypical Gay Office room Hildi did for the gay couple last week. REAL open-minded, Hildi!
You know, if you didn't like the decor that's fine. But since the HOs apparently did, and apparently had no objection to the supposedly stereotypical decor, I for one would appreciate your not presuming to speak for what is or isn't offensive to gay people. Thanks ever so.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:47 PM

Has to be Kia's Military Chic room. Even if we pretend for a minute that it was oppisite day, and that when the female HO said "I don't want anything military at all. I spend all day in the military, when I come home, I want something different," she meant "an uber-ugly black and grey camo wallpaper boarder would be faboo!" it's an absolutely hideous room.

Curtains made out of parachutes?! Die, Kia, die.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:07 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto
You know, if you didn't like the decor that's fine. But since the HOs apparently did, and apparently had no objection to the supposedly stereotypical decor, I for one would appreciate your not presuming to speak for what is or isn't offensive to gay people. Thanks ever so.
And I'm sure the rest of us won't mind if you would stop inventing things our of the air to complain about. Where in Guin's post did she suggest it had to be offensive to gay people?

It was a terrible, terrible design, and the stereotypical approach was part of what made it bad. Deal with it.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:15 AM

the black ham and eggs dining room, by hildi.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shy guy
Has to be Kia's Military Chic room.
This one gets my vote for sheer ugliness, with Hildi's recent Hell's Dining Room a close second, and the Graveyard Bedroom third.

For destructive-worst, the Hay Wall and the Bathroom Flowers have to be tied for the worst. I don't know that there are any estimates on fixing the one where she stapled 6,000 fake flowers to the bathroom walls, but 24,000 tiny holes in a steamy, moist room is not a good idea. Plus, there's just no way to clean them. Can you imagine how filthy those flowers would be, with the steam and dust and overspray from deodorant and hairpspray?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:34 AM

From the Television without Pity recap about the hay episode (linked above by OttoDaFe:

"Of course, one can read in the media since this show aired about how the bookshelves that were put up were pulling away from the wall within twenty-four hours; the kids had splinters from the louvers, which were promptly removed; and the homeowners were given an estimate of $3000 to restore the mantel. Not to mention the eighty-five hours of labour it took to remove the hay. "

Yikes!

Have they ever rerun this episode? It would definitely be one I would want to see.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:59 AM

The Hay Wall show was just recently shown about 2 weeks ago on one of the Thursday repeats. I had never seen it, and so I was thrilled to see it. I've enver seen the Moss Wall, so I'm keeping an eye open for that.

The end result wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but it was really stupid-looking. I mean, come on, HAY, glued to the freaking wall? What kind of moron thinks that's a good idea?
Old 07-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Oh, while I agree with most of the cited examples, I'd like to add that the creepiest room was obviously the room where Hildi put a giant picture OF HERSELF!!!! on one wall.

Does she actually have any designer credentials? It sure doesn't look like it from her "Designs."
Old 07-27-2003, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shy guy
Has to be Kia's Military Chic room. Even if we pretend for a minute that it was oppisite day, and that when the female HO said "I don't want anything military at all. I spend all day in the military, when I come home, I want something different," she meant "an uber-ugly black and grey camo wallpaper boarder would be faboo!" it's an absolutely hideous room.

Curtains made out of parachutes?! Die, Kia, die.
I agree wholeheartedly - this is the worst one I have ever seen them do.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Where in Guin's post did she suggest it had to be offensive to gay people?
Golly, where did I get the idea from "The recent Purple and Pink Stereotypical Gay Office room Hildi did for the gay couple last week. REAL open-minded, Hildi!" that Guin was asserting that the design was offensive to gay people?
Old 07-27-2003, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto
Golly, where did I get the idea from "The recent Purple and Pink Stereotypical Gay Office room Hildi did for the gay couple last week. REAL open-minded, Hildi!" that Guin was asserting that the design was offensive to gay people?
Yeah, one of the worst rooms EVA!

Oh wait, your not talking about a Trading Spaces room, you're bitching about a member. I seem to remember there's a forum for doing just this and it ain't Cafe Society.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:59 AM

Sorry, Otto, I guess my point was that Hildi assumed that gay automatically =pink and purple campy girly decor or whatever you call what she did.

Yeah, they loved it, but that's not the point.

I thought she made it very feminine on purpose, thinking, oh, obviously, they're GAY, so I'll make it like THIS. And that was a little, well, ignorant at best. I don't think it's OFFENSIVE, just a little stupid on her part. Of course, this IS Hildi we're talking about.

Besides, it was an UGLY room. All that purple would make such a small room too hot, I would think, the vinyl couch would probably get very hot to sit on in the summer time and stick to your legs and it would hurt when you stand up. And then the foam on the floor-wouldn't that create a lot of static?

Yeesh, chill.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:50 PM

I haven't seen the hay wall, but I have seen the moss wall. I would nominate that.

Also, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of arguments on this one...Frank's eastern New England seashore cottage house thingy. He covered EVERYTHING in dull blue fabrics, COMPLETELY BLOCKING all the windows!!
Old 07-27-2003, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by voguevixen
I think Kia's worst room by far was the camoflage/"military chic" room.
I think that this is the most offensive room in terms of just being rude and inconsiderate to the home owners.

I haven't seen the hay room. I'm not sure I can imagine what series of steps would lead one to the thought that it would be a good idea.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brynda
From the Television without Pity recap about the hay episode (linked above by OttoDaFe:

"Of course, one can read in the media since this show aired about how the bookshelves that were put up were pulling away from the wall within twenty-four hours; the kids had splinters from the louvers, which were promptly removed; and the homeowners were given an estimate of $3000 to restore the mantel. Not to mention the eighty-five hours of labour it took to remove the hay. "

Yikes!

Have they ever rerun this episode? It would definitely be one I would want to see.
They rerun it a lot because it's a "fan favorite" (and always creates a buzz whenever it's re-aired, much like the "Crying Pam" episode.) The TLC site has a list of upcoming episodes, but if I remember right it's really hard to get to. I'll check my TiVo and get back to you.

One sort of bummer thing that gets overlooked is that the room opposite the Straw Disaster is a kitchen done by Gen that turns out really amazing. I force myself to watch that episode because I like so much how the kitchen turns out.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigonal Planar
Also, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of arguments on this one...Frank's eastern New England seashore cottage house thingy. He covered EVERYTHING in dull blue fabrics, COMPLETELY BLOCKING all the windows!!
I remember one that was kind of like that, I don't know whether we're talking about the same thing though...the HO had said they wanted the room to match the table and chairs - unfortunately they were black, blue and wood.

So the designer (I don't recall who it was though) painted the wood wall with black stripes and IIRC the floor went black, too. And then everything else was covered with blue fabric.

The woman almost cried when she saw the room, her husband pretended to like it.

Uah. It was just a depressing room and ugly to boot.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:38 PM

Einmon, I think I know which room you're talking about. It was Hildi, and what she did was paint the walls black and then put wood planks up. The floor she left as the original white tile (or something like that), and she made these oversized chaise lounge type things that were supposed to be couches or something (and matched the color of the table). I'm not sure whether or not I like that room, but I thinK I recall the wife saying "er...I think I'll have to get used to the black" (because it extended into the foyer).

voguevixen - which kitchen design was that? (that Gen did in the same episode as hay wall)
Old 07-28-2003, 11:33 AM

What about the bathroom where Hildi, IIRC, stapled all those fake flowers to the wall? That was pretty stupid.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:40 AM

Was it Hildi who draped an entire room so that it looked like a fucking circus tent? I hated that one, but the worst was Cammo room. Just hideous.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:58 AM

Yes, that was her, Kalhoun. If I recall correctly, the home owner later put the fixin's for the room on eBay.

I don't watch the show regularly so I can't really comment as to the worst room ever but I agree with the Kia astroturf disaster.

Why, oh why, is that woman a designer? Does she always use borders? I recall her saying she was the 'border queen'. I just want to take her aside and say, "Psssst. Borders? Yeah, they're *extremely* tacky."
Old 07-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I can't believe no one has said this yet. Perhaps it has been wiped from your minds due to the shock and horror. I have two words for you:

Monkey Desk.

::shudder::
Old 07-28-2003, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by troub
What about the bathroom where Hildi, IIRC, stapled all those fake flowers to the wall? That was pretty stupid.
I mentioned that one. Yeah, it was pretty stupid.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:36 PM

Anything that Kia did is always in the running for this, but:

Kia's first room was a hideous purple disaster with an ugly wallpaper border. Henious. Set the tone for someone without a clue or a bit of talent. I guess many rooms were turning out nice.

Doug's train based Pullman car room sucked. Yeesh, thank goodness he has mostly given up "theme" rooms, leaving them to Kia, the talentless smug hack.

And never forget the horrid plastic flower bathroom done by Hildy- which shows you what happens when you use your personal connections to a TS designer to get on the show, and to get them to do your bathroom (which they never do). Heh heh heh- take that!

Old 07-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OttoDaFe
But when it comes to design disasters, I would nominate a Season 1 room by Dez that involved a diamond pattern all over one wall. Burned me retinas, it did.
Yep.
There have been rooms that I didn't like, but could see working for other people. There have been rooms that I liked the concept, but didn't quite come together. There have been poor concept rooms (the circus tent, Laurie's idiotic trundle bed for teenage sisters). There has been Kia.

But that room by Dez was hideous. It wasn't just the diamond pattern. Every single thing she did to that room was, in and of itself, ugly. Not a single good, practical, or aesthetically pleasing idea anywhere. And it wasn't one of those magic rooms where "it seems wrong, but you put it all together and it works." Nope. You put all of that ugliness together and it just became exponentially uglier. Purely hideous.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:03 PM

A good friend of mine was on the production crew for the "hay wall" episode. At the time it didn't mean anything to me since I'd never watched the show. Now that my wife is hooked, though, I'll need to ask him what that shoot was like (though I still haven't seen that episode).

I recognize several of the rooms mentioned, but for sheer stupidity and impracticality, I'd have to nominate the flower bathroom. Ridiculous.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:38 PM

Does anybody remember the "Lamp Lady" (the lady whose schtick was creating custom lamps)? Every room she did seemed to be uniformly ghastly.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bobkitty
I can't believe no one has said this yet. Perhaps it has been wiped from your minds due to the shock and horror. I have two words for you:

Monkey Desk.

hmmmmm . . . sounds intriguing . . . Where can I buy one?
Old 07-28-2003, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa-go-Blind
I'm not a Trading Spaces obsessee, but I thought the dining room Hildi painted black and yellow was pretty gross.
That was pretty bad.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:36 PM

I don't mean to hijack but this doesn't seem worthy of a whole thread. Did anyone watch "While You Were Out" this weekend? A woman changed the backyard of her house into a Carribbean . . . thing. They chopped up the wooden deck to add a couple of inches of sand to look like a beach. It was a bad idea, they should know better than to be so destructive. The husband was totally pissed off and he looked like he wanted to go upside her head. It was awful, I was actually worried about her, he seemed like a real jerk.

It was the worst idea and worst reaction I've seen on one of these types of shows.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:51 PM

Actually, Kia's rooms THIS season haven't been so bad. (And FWIW, my parents are border addicts too...). Did you see the room she did last time? The stained glass cabinet doors over the NEW TV SHE BOUGHT???

But that was that stupid family version.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeskMonkey
I don't mean to hijack but this doesn't seem worthy of a whole thread. Did anyone watch "While You Were Out" this weekend? A woman changed the backyard of her house into a Carribbean . . . thing. They chopped up the wooden deck to add a couple of inches of sand to look like a beach. It was a bad idea, they should know better than to be so destructive. The husband was totally pissed off and he looked like he wanted to go upside her head. It was awful, I was actually worried about her, he seemed like a real jerk.

It was the worst idea and worst reaction I've seen on one of these types of shows.
Yeah, I saw that. "This has got to be illegal!" he yelled. His wife started crying. The show people had to calm him down and tell him to go comfort his wife because he scared her so much.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:37 PM

PoorYorick, that was Dez, who other's have mentioned above.

Graveyard room can't be worst. It's a spare bedroom, so who cares if it sucks? Living rooms are much worse.

Doug's boy bedroom with real cars was not a good thing. Good show, but just a bad idea. Anything they are willing to do on Monster House should not be done on Trading Spaces.

The one where Frank ripped up the carpet and painted the plywood subfloor was very misguided. Also the one where he scored the kitchen countertops with a dremel, to give it "a textured look".

And pretty much everything Hildi does. Either she gets a crappy theme, and sticks stuff all over the wall, or she puts nothing in the room and the result is a stark wasteland.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:52 PM

Re: Trading Spaces--Which room was the worst ever?

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggirl
Hands down my pick is the guest bedroom that the designer turned into a graveyard. Oh sure, she said it was supposed to be a garden, but it was, in fact, a grave. The neighbor was aghast when the designer (I don't remember which one- it was a woman) made a grass and flower bedspread and then surrounded the bed with a white picket fence. I said to myself "It looks like a grave." Said the neighbor "It looks like a grave!" Said the house owner "It kinda looks like a grave." And then she pretended to like it.
Of the episodes I've seen, this one is the worst, hands down. I missed the moss walls ep.

I wonder how fast it was changed after the weekend? I'd bet on less than 12 hours.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:07 PM

Re: The graveyard bed

Quote:
Originally posted by photopat
I wonder how fast it was changed after the weekend? I'd bet on less than 12 hours.
12 hours? That long? Really? How long do you think it took the HO to pick up the grave covering, oops, I mean bedspread and chuck it in the trash? If it was MY room, it'd have been 10 minutes after the cameras left?

The rest of the room wasn't too bad. I think. The bedspread/grave cover was just awful. Take that away and there was that cute swing that Amy Wynn built. Get a decent bedspread and it would be an okay room.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Yea, chuck the grave cover, the white picket fence, the brick border around the bed and all that gravel-- then you got a not so hideous room.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bobkitty

Monkey Desk.

I still have nightmares about the Monkey Desk!

That poor little girl....imagine trying to fall asleep at night with that horrid thing staring at you, waiting to suck you into that grinning maw....ugh.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 PM

I'm sorry I missed While You Were Out this week. Have to catch it in the second run, I guess.

As far as the Monkey Desk, the main problem I had with it was that it was so narrow. It could barely hold anything. There was no room for the kids legs under it and I could imagine it just falling apart when she put anything heavy on it.

How about Hildi's self portrait ala Roy Lichtenstein? I don't hate all her designs but that one was just sad.