Why am I using so much gas (propane)?

I got several questions regarding propane as I think I’m using too much.

The 1st one is how many gallons in a gas BBQ (small usually white, standard) tank?

2nd one is if I set my hot water heater (HWH) for vacation setting how much gas does it use?

3rd one is why when I have my HWH set for vacation and leave it for a week the water is hot enough to shower when I get back, w/o ajusting the HWH. But if I use all the hot water it doesn’t make more. Am I to assume that the piolet light is hot enough to keep the entire 40 or 50 gal tank hot?

4th is there a pilot light ajustment commonly on the HWH’s?

5th can I transfer propane from a small BBQ tank into the big tank for a house w/o a pump, fairly convinetly?

6th what is the standard usage rate for HWH’s in gal/month?

>> The 1st one is how many gallons in a gas BBQ (small usually white, standard) tank?

Propane is sold by weight, not volume, and I have no idea what your tank holds but they’ll tell you when you have it refilled.

>> 2nd one is if I set my hot water heater (HWH) for vacation setting how much gas does it use?

I dunno. You tell me. If the room temperature is high enough then just the pilot light. If it’s freezing then it will use more.

>> 3rd one is why when I have my HWH set for vacation and leave it for a week the water is hot enough to shower when I get back, w/o ajusting the HWH. But if I use all the hot water it doesn’t make more. Am I to assume that the piolet light is hot enough to keep the entire 40 or 50 gal tank hot?

If the room is warm yes. More than enough. Note that if you use the water straight from the tank, wiithout mixing cold, the comfortable temperature is a bit over 100, maybe 110F, which is not much. Again, it depends where you are and what the temperature is there. Alaska is not Florida.

>> 4th is there a pilot light ajustment commonly on the HWH’s?

yes, the pilot light is adjustable usually.

>> 5th can I transfer propane from a small BBQ tank into the big tank for a house w/o a pump, fairly convinetly?

I do not recommend you mess with that. Why would you want to do that?

>> 6th what is the standard usage rate for HWH’s in gal/month?

I have never heard of propane being sold by the gallon. I have no idea.