ENGLISH Elvish-like font?

Hey there Tolkien-heads,

Does anyone know of where I can get a font that looks somewhat like Tolkien’s elvish. (I don’t know whether it’s Quenya or Sindarin, or what… the cursive writing on the ring.) I’ve found several sites that have actual elven fonts, but I’m looking for something that looks elven but is actually readable english.

Like for example, this “hebrew font”:
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=400744

theres one called ‘tengwar-gandalf’. try a google or the site you mention above, or www.1001fonts.com.
its based on the alphabets in the appendixes at the back of better editions LOTR

Comprehensive site on Tengwar. The fonts are on the bottom of the page.

I guess I wasn’t clear. I’m not looking for a font to write in tengwar. I’m looking for a font to write in english, that looks like tengwar. Check out that link I posted before. Look closely, those aren’t hebrew letters. They’re english letters that look hebrew. tengwar-gandalf appears to be one of many truly tengwar fonts.

Cougarfang, your site doesn’t work for me, it’s exceeded it’s bandwidth. I’ll try again later, and see if they have what I want.

i used tengwar-gandalf for the promotional stuff i did at tower piccadilly when fellowship came out. it looks like a cross between a sort of gaelic font and the one they use on the LOTR posters. im not sure how many variations there are, but that was definately in english.not too many london rekkid buyers speak elvish.
i wish i still had the suitcase ATM for it, i could have e-mailed it.

good luck anyway

Christopher Tolkien lettered the maps, and J.R.R. wrote, in a style based loosely on a combination of old Celtic uncial with a tinge of chancery cursive. So looking for variations on those will approximate an “elvish” script. I found Benedict Uncial, which approaches the sort of thing they did. Two others I have but don’t know the source for are Clo Gaelach and Cry Uncial, which also have a pseudo-Celtic “Tolkienish” feel to them; check out online font libraries and search for those names.

Gonzoron, how about Elvish Ring ? It’s freeware, to boot.

bordelond, Elvish Ring sure does look, well, elvish. Good find.

Thank you!! bordelond, that’s exactly what I was looking for!

paulberserker, you must have had some other version of tengwar-gandalf than the ones I’ve been able to find. All the ones I saw were real tengwar.

If you don’t mind hearing an example of extreme geekiness, I’ll tell you why I need it:

My fiancee and I want to use it for our wedding band inscription.

terrible, eh? Thanks to everyone for your help, especially bordelond and the maker of Elvish ring, whoever he or she may be.

gonzoron, that is so cool :slight_smile: Guess you both are big Tolkein fans.

damn gonzoron, good idea! mind if I steal if for the future?(a very very very distant future)

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the font in bordelond’s link? When I click on the link for True Type, I’ve consistently gotten a message saying that the page was not available, both yesterday and today.

Yes, I’ve been getting “The requested URL requires an authorization” message.

Hmmm. I just tried the link again, and it works fine for me. (I’m running IE 6).

This worked for me… I took a spurious “.” from the URL.

http://www.1001fonts.com/fonts/win/ttf/2554/elvishringnfi.zip

The Dun King

Hey, sure, knock yourself out. :slight_smile:

I just hope neither of us turns invisible during the ceremony.

You know, my co-worker and I were just taking about this, because he wants a wedding band like that for him and his girlfriend. Of course, he wants it to say forever, or something in the actual elvish script.