anyone know the weight of solid oxygen and liquid oxygen?

i am wondering how to figure out the weight of these things, so I can compare them to weight of water in liquid form and ice aka solid form.

which one is lighter?
water or oxygen in solid and liquid forms.

You want density, not weight. A pound of LOX weighs the same as a pound of water. Liquid oxygen’s density at it’s boiling point (-182.97°C) is 1.141 grams per cubic centimeter; more dense than water (1 g/cm[sup]3[/sup]).

I’ll let someone else find the density for the solid.

I’m going on memory here, but IIRC, liquid oxygen is about 9.5 pounds, and water is about 8.4 per gallon, depending on the temperature, ice weighing less than water.

yeah density. :stuck_out_tongue: obviously, i am no scientist.

8.4:9.5::1:1.13

oxygen solid weighs less than oxygen liquid?

No, I was saying that 8.4 lb per gal is to 9.5 lb per gallon as 1 gram per cc is to 1.3 g/cc. In other words, Turbo Dog said the same thing as me, but in english units and less accurately.

I still can’t find a density for the solid. Things at those temperatures act oddly, and it looks like there are different kinds of oxygen ice. It may have a lower density than the liquid, like water ice, I don’t know.

Gimme a break dude. I’m getting old! I’m just happy that I remembered enough to be in the ballpark!:slight_smile:

Oh okay.
Thanks you all.

I still dunno about the weight of solid oxygen or as Wikkit pointed out, the density is what I seek.

Anyone know the density of solid oxygen?

<http://drs.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K="solid+oxygen"+density+weight/v=2/SID=w/l=WS1/R=9/H=0/*-http://bmrl.med.uiuc.edu:8080/periodic/O.html>

does this have the answer I am looking for?

more specifically:
Density/kg m-3
2000 [solid, at melting point]; 1140 [liquid, at boiling point]; 1.429 [gas, 273 K]

Okay what does this mean?
gas is ligher than liquid, which is lighter than solid?

that is what it looks to me, so just want to confirm i am reading this right. thanks.

Yes, solid oxygen is more dense than liquid oxygen.

From the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (75th Edition):

Specific Gravity of O[sub]2[/sub] (l) = 1.149 (at -183˚C)

Specific Gravity of O[sub]2[/sub] (s) = 1.426 (at -252.5˚C)

There is, apparently, some weirdness associated with solid oxygen, but this is not surprising, as crystal structure (or the lack of it) can significantly affect density.

thanks.

Ok, but if you dropped a block of solid oxygen into a tub of water, the ice would sink. Then the water around it would freeze, but water ice is less dense than water. So would the whole frozen mass sink or float? :wink:

Thaumaturge, your question is the same for a boat designer. does the mass displace enough water for the mass to float?

technically, weight doesn’t matter, but mass does! but most people think mass = weight, so they are pretty much similar for me.
if the ice is big enough, it will float. big relative to the frozen oxygen. also frozen oxygen making water ice means the mass of the solid oxygen is shrinking.

I was being a bit silly. I realize that the only to really answer the question would be to do the experiment. However, while I do have a tub and could conceivably fill it with water, I am decidedly lacking in quantities of solid oxygen.

Just from thinking about the problem, I’d conclude that a certain thickness of water ice would be created, and that this thickness would be enough to lift a small block of solid O2, but not a larger block.

well, i guess shape plays a big role too.
if it is U shape, then it will float from the beginning and the ice formation is just icing on the cake.

No, it could be solved using nothing but physics and a bunch of math. Do you want to know that badly?

Sure, I’;d love to see the math. I’d be particularly interested to see how to calculate how thick the water ice would form. Once you knew how thick the water ice was, then you could easily calculate whether or not a certain sized O2 block would sink or float.

Example: A 3 inch skin of ice isnt going to float a 3 foot block of ice, but it should float a 3 inch block of ice. (Since it would have more volume)

Optimist !
On the experimental side, dry ice, which sinks in water (d ~1.5 g/cm[sup]3[/sup]) will accrete ice from liquid water until it rises to the surface. There are two factors which account for this behavior. Firstly, as already mentioned, the net density of the solid will decrease as it picks up more and more ice. Secondly, and this is probably a major factor, the shell of ice will trap gasified CO[sub]2[/sub], or for that matter O[sub]2[/sub]. This will greatly increase the bouyancy of the solid. The maths for the second effect will get quite tricky as all sorts of fissures, cracks, blowholes and such form in the growing mass.

I didn’t realize there was such a thing as pure elemental “solid oxygen” in nature except under fantastic pressures at the center of gas giant planets like Jupiter where it exists as a quasi-metallic state . When you say “solid oxgen” what exactly are you referring to?